Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chromeed Pipework

I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 19:45:38 UTC, Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Just remove the chrome where you solder or a compression olive goes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/12/2016 19:45, Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Well, I never managed to join it. I think you need special fittings, or
at least special olives, which I didn't have. I gave up and used grey
plastic, which looked okay.

I wish I'd asked on UK.d-i-y first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

sand/wire-wool to remove the plating anywhere you're soldering it

if bending it, you'll probably be unlucky and the plating will flake off

Don't spoil the job with those clip-on "plastic chrome" pipe collars,
gulp at the price then buy the solid brass ones, e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JHJVUT0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that
too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used
before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Just use normal copper pipe and put chrome shrouds over them, or just leave
the old 'dogs dinner' plumbing as it is and cover it with chrome to match
your new towel rail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Don't spoil the job with those clip-on "plastic chrome" pipe collars,
gulp at the price then buy the solid brass ones

two collars plus two 130mm upstands to cover the pipes, �11 screwfix, solid
brass

http://screwfix.com/p/p/2847g

Those do look good, pretty sure they're new [to SF] since the last time
I searched for some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 21:45, Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

you cant use it a a dildo without extensive modification.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 19:45, Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Don't bend or attempt to solder or use push-fit.

I've used chrome compression fitting where I had to. Despite another
poster mentioning about issues with olives, I confess I didn't have any
problems [1] although a brass olive is recommended as its harder and
more likely to pinch into the chrome.

[1] That might be because chrome compression fittings probably come with
a brass olive?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 22:34:24 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 10/12/2016 19:45, Ron Lowe wrote:

I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Don't bend or attempt to solder or use push-fit.

I've used chrome compression fitting where I had to. Despite another
poster mentioning about issues with olives, I confess I didn't have any
problems [1] although a brass olive is recommended as its harder and
more likely to pinch into the chrome.

[1] That might be because chrome compression fittings probably come with
a brass olive?

Copper & brass don't bite into chrome, so there's always the possibility of slip between the 2. Occasionally the result is the pipe coming right out. Like anything you can do it, and it's usually OK. But it gets messy when it isn't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 01:31:05 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't be a problem on low pressures like central heating.
More of a problem on mains pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And hide the edge where you removed it. It is also possible to find really
bad Chromed pipe where the chrome kind of peels off like a scale.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 19:45:38 UTC, Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that
too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Just remove the chrome where you solder or a compression olive goes.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Is there a vast amount? For the pipework on show in my bathroom - just a
very small amount to the towel rail and rad - I just painted the copper
with chrome paint. Which looks more like brushed stainless steel - but OK
at a glance. I didn't even consider chrome as it had to be bent.

I wanted the minimum amount of pipe showing, so concealed it in the wall
behind the tiles with just a small bend out to the connections to the
towel rail.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 19:45, Ron Lowe wrote:
I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

To solder, you'll obviously have to file the chrome off the end.

With compression joints, I use brass olives as they allow a harder
"bite" into the pipe.

Other than that, nothing special really.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 20:05, Andy Burns wrote:
Ron Lowe wrote:

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

sand/wire-wool to remove the plating anywhere you're soldering it

if bending it, you'll probably be unlucky and the plating will flake off

Shouldn't do - I bent a few bits in my bathroom and no such problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

sand/wire-wool to remove the plating anywhere you're soldering it

if bending it, you'll probably be unlucky and the plating will flake off

Shouldn't do - I bent a few bits in my bathroom and no such problems.

Yup never had a problem myself either. However I expect there might be
some poor quality pipe out there since I have seen a few people mention
a flaking problem over the years.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2016 09:07, harry wrote:
[...]

Many sealed systems will run at something approaching 2 bar when hot.
For some, that *is* mains pressure.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Phil L wrote:

Ron Lowe wrote:

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Just use normal copper pipe and put chrome shrouds over them

That *just* *about* looks OK for straight runs, a bit too fat is the
give-away, but probably normal people won't notice. Very bodgy
looking if there are any soldered elbows involved, might just get
away with chrome compression fittings.

We use them on the towel rails in the bathrooms of the houses we're
building, all the CH pipe is plastic and these are the only ones where pipes
are visible, all the others (normal radiators) have the pipes exiting the
plasterboard at the back with short tails to the valves

Hammer in CH pipework Nick UK diy 0 March 28th 06 06:51 PM
Noise in the pipework Mike Dodd UK diy 1 September 10th 04 04:24 PM
Noisy pipework John Anderton UK diy 2 August 18th 04 09:21 PM
Airlock in pipework? Aenuff UK diy 2 March 10th 04 04:15 PM
Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework David Hearn UK diy 5 February 5th 04 04:41 PM