Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Chromeed Pipework

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 01:31:05 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 22:34:24 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 10/12/2016 19:45, Ron Lowe wrote:

I'm replacing a rusty towel rail radiator in a bathroom.
The connecting pipework is a dog's dinner, and I'll be replacing that too.

The visible pipework is to be chrome pipe, which I've never used before.

Any advice on what you can and can't do with chromed pipe?

Don't bend or attempt to solder or use push-fit.

I've used chrome compression fitting where I had to. Despite another
poster mentioning about issues with olives, I confess I didn't have any
problems [1] although a brass olive is recommended as its harder and
more likely to pinch into the chrome.

[1] That might be because chrome compression fittings probably come with
a brass olive?

Copper & brass don't bite into chrome, so there's always the possibility of slip between the 2. Occasionally the result is the pipe coming right out. Like anything you can do it, and it's usually OK. But it gets messy when it isn't.

NT

Shouldn't be a problem on low pressures like central heating.
More of a problem on mains pressure.