Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIT Storage heaters

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Storage heaters are used when you have an economy 7 electric tariff and
wish to take advantage of the cheaper night time electricity that it offers.

It's also a **** way of heating a house.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 08:54, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water
filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or
do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Storage heaters are used when you have an economy 7 electric tariff and
wish to take advantage of the cheaper night time electricity that it
offers.

It's also a **** way of heating a house.

It's 'Simon Mason': He should buy whichever is the most expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 06:54:19 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Well, unlike the gas that I pay for, if I have free electric heating, I can heat the house for nothing and ditch boiler breakdown insurance as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my
gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead.

Mad, you wont have free electricity for long, you watch.

Do I keep my water filled radiators and
get a bloke to install an electric CH system,

Unlikely that anyone is actually stupid enough to make one
given the cost of electricity is so much higher than gas.

or do I rip out the lot myself

Makes a lot more sense to leave it because you wont have free electricity
for long.

and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

Those wont give you the heat you want right thru the evening.

If you really do end up with free electricity forever, which you wont, there
is no point in storage heaters. You should have lots of fan heaters instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 06:54:19 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water
filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or
do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Well, unlike the gas that I pay for, if I have free electric heating, I
can heat the house for nothing and ditch boiler breakdown insurance as
well.

Yes, but the point he was making is that it makes no sense to have STORAGE
heaters, you should be using heaters that use electricity whenever its
needed
to heat anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 07:49:52 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

If you really do end up with free electricity forever, which you wont, there
is no point in storage heaters. You should have lots of fan heaters instead.

I have one in my conservatory, but they are too noisy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 07:49:52 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

If you really do end up with free electricity forever, which you wont,
there
is no point in storage heaters. You should have lots of fan heaters
instead.

I have one in my conservatory, but they are too noisy.

There are plenty of much quieter ones with big tangential fans.

No reason why you can't wire one of the
storage heaters to the normal peak supply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-10, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip
out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

Quite. As in "FFS, why are you responding to a troll?"

(Although he is quite a good one.)

No troll would jump off a bridge in front of a truck just to troll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-10, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip
out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

Quite. As in "FFS, why are you responding to a troll?"

(Although he is quite a good one.)

No troll would jump off a bridge in front of a truck just to troll.

Just been to see the surgeon who saved my leg which means I have thanked everyone now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 08:44:45 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

There are plenty of much quieter ones with big tangential fans.

Cheers - just bought this.

http://amzn.to/2hfxXgJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and
fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out
the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

I am curious as to what you mean by "free electricity". Can you elaborate?

Alaric

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 07:49:52 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Do I keep my water filled radiators and
get a bloke to install an electric CH system,

Unlikely that anyone is actually stupid enough to make one
given the cost of electricity is so much higher than gas.

They do make electric boilers, but the instant type is limited to about 9 kW total.

Other option is an electrically heated thermal store to run radiators, but that is also intended for E7 tariffs.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:20:13 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

Unless you are absolutely loaded - have a good job and half a million pension
pot I would do it yourself.

You are competent to do so - I assume?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 23:17:59 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 06:54:19 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Well, unlike the gas that I pay for, if I have free electric heating, I can heat the house for nothing and ditch boiler breakdown insurance as well.

How much free electric do you have per hour?
From where do you get it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 20:12:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"

On 2016-12-10, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip
out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

Quite. As in "FFS, why are you responding to a troll?"

(Although he is quite a good one.)

No troll would jump off a bridge in front of a truck just to troll.

Ah - come on - if you jump of a bridge then you might find god under it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Storage heaters

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 09:42:10 UTC, Alaric wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and
fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out
the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

I am curious as to what you mean by "free electricity". Can you elaborate?

I applied for a free electricity offer with BG between 0900-1700 Sat/Sun and they said they could not put me on that offer until I get a smart meter fitted and there is a long waiting list.

I am now with BG, but they have no record of my electric account at all as they cocked up the handover from npower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 10:06, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 09:42:10 UTC, Alaric wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and
fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out
the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

I am curious as to what you mean by "free electricity". Can you elaborate?

I applied for a free electricity offer with BG between 0900-1700 Sat/Sun and they said they could not put me on that offer until I get a smart meter fitted and there is a long waiting list.

I am now with BG, but they have no record of my electric account at all as they cocked up the handover from npower.

You will, therefore, get an estimate. I had something similar. And if
you think that estimate will be at or close to zero, you will be in for
a shock (as it were).

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 09:39, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 08:44:45 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

There are plenty of much quieter ones with big tangential fans.

Cheers - just bought this.

http://amzn.to/2hfxXgJ

Spending your projected profits? ;-)

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

I've a 1.5kW version that keeps a 4.5m x 3.5m cold room reasonably warm.
The fan helps a little, but rarely use it.

It's about 15 years old now, and has started rusting around the base.
Might be because of being stored in a dampish cellar over summer.

It's got to a stage where I wouldn't buy Dyson almost as a point of
principle.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That depends very much on occupancy and how the occupants behave. I have had
three here for many years and they work very well. However the technology
is a bit basic, and I feel sure that we could design them to be better
insulated so they can keep their heat for longer to cope with the up and
down temperatures of this land.

Did you know that nobody has made a smart meter that can cope with economy 7
yet. I have been told this by several energy suppliers or as they really
are, administration of bills companies.
One might have thought that when designing such devices time related power
usage would have been part of the spec.

As for the original question. How has this person got free electricity.
Suffice to say that if this is true, you can jolly well be sure it will
not remain free for very long as the government will want to tax it.
Thus, to me I'd say, don't burn your bridges or count your chickens before
they are hatched.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled
radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip
out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Storage heaters are used when you have an economy 7 electric tariff and
wish to take advantage of the cheaper night time electricity that it
offers.

It's also a **** way of heating a house.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No troll would jump off a bridge in front of a truck just to troll.

Ah - come on - if you jump of a bridge then you might find god under it.

Or a Troll..........

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:

I am now with BG, but they have no record of my electric account at
all as they cocked up the handover from npower.

http://www.energylinx.co.uk/mpan_validation.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

With your 24 hour availability of free electricity you don't need
storage heaters. Storage heaters are installed to make use of 'cheaper
electricity' but where are you going to find that cheaper than free?
You need instant electric heating when and where you need it. A £20, 3KW
fan heater on a plug in thermostat per room would suit your immediate
needs. No need to go to the expense of anything else. There is no point
is saving on electricity if you then spend hundreds/thousands on
unnecessary hardware As for hot water, just leave the immersion heater
on 24/7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/12/16 08:54, ARW wrote:
On 10/12/2016 05:20, Simon Mason wrote:
Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler
and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water
filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or
do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

FFS.

If you have free electricity why would you want electric storage heaters?

Storage heaters are used when you have an economy 7 electric tariff and
wish to take advantage of the cheaper night time electricity that it
offers.

It's also a **** way of heating a house.

It's 'Simon Mason': He should buy whichever is the most expensive.

Well these would cost him a few quid but they are not storage heaters.

http://www.northeastheatingsolutions.co.uk/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Now I have free electricity I have decided to get rid of my gas boiler and fit room electric storage heaters instead. Do I keep my water filled radiators and get a bloke to install an electric CH system, or do I rip out the lot myself and fit £3000 2kW electric storage heaters?

Unless you are absolutely loaded - have a good job and half a million pension
pot I would do it yourself.

You are competent to do so - I assume?

I suppose he could post some photos for Mike to add to his compilation.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:19:02 UTC, RJH wrote:

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

Amazon just rang and said that the Dyson is out of stock, so I just bought one of these instead. Might as well get free air con while I am at it.

http://amzn.to/2hijb6l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:19:02 UTC, RJH wrote:

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

Amazon just rang and said that the Dyson is out of stock, so I just bought one of these instead. Might as well get free air con while I am at it.

http://amzn.to/2hijb6l

That does not give you aircon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:47:48 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

As for the original question. How has this person got free electricity.
Suffice to say that if this is true, you can jolly well be sure it will
not remain free for very long as the government will want to tax it.

The only way they will ever find out is if a man comes to read it which last happened in 2012.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:08, Bod wrote:
On 10/12/2016 13:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:19:02 UTC, RJH wrote:

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

Amazon just rang and said that the Dyson is out of stock, so I just
bought one of these instead. Might as well get free air con while I am
at it.

http://amzn.to/2hijb6l

That does not give you aircon.

This is an aircon unit:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...ir-conditioner
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 13:08:41 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 10/12/2016 13:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:19:02 UTC, RJH wrote:

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

Amazon just rang and said that the Dyson is out of stock, so I just bought one of these instead. Might as well get free air con while I am at it.

http://amzn.to/2hijb6l

That does not give you aircon.

Powerful cooling fan high airflow and velocity. Cools you with an uninterrupted stream of air * Includes remote control its curved and magnetized to store neatly on top of the machine * Touch tilt pivots on its own centre of gravity staying put without clamping. You can direct airflow where ever you want it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:14, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 13:08:41 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 10/12/2016 13:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:19:02 UTC, RJH wrote:

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

Amazon just rang and said that the Dyson is out of stock, so I just bought one of these instead. Might as well get free air con while I am at it.

http://amzn.to/2hijb6l

That does not give you aircon.

Powerful cooling fan high airflow and velocity. Cools you with an uninterrupted stream of air * Includes remote control its curved and magnetized to store neatly on top of the machine * Touch tilt pivots on its own centre of gravity staying put without clamping. You can direct airflow where ever you want it.

All that unit will do is blow the warm air around the room, it cannot
cool the air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 12:51:10 UTC, ARW wrote:
Well these would cost him a few quid but they are not storage heaters.
http://www.northeastheatingsolutions.co.uk/

"our highly efficient German electric heating systems run at a fraction of the cost of storage heaters"

That's nice to know.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 13:18:19 UTC, Bod wrote:

All that unit will do is blow the warm air around the room, it cannot
cool the air.

No - a normal desk fan will do that, but this has cooling elements and so it a proper aircon unit as it should be for £400.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 15:38, wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 12:51:10 UTC, ARW wrote:
Well these would cost him a few quid but they are not storage
heaters.
http://www.northeastheatingsolutions.co.uk/

"our highly efficient German electric heating systems run at a
fraction of the cost of storage heaters"

Thats 120/7 as a round fraction.

That's nice to know.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/16 15:45, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 13:18:19 UTC, Bod wrote:

All that unit will do is blow the warm air around the room, it cannot
cool the air.

No - a normal desk fan will do that, but this has cooling elements and so it a proper aircon unit as it should be for £400.

Sorry, it doesn't have cooling elements.

WAPYA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:08, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:47:48 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

As for the original question. How has this person got free electricity.
Suffice to say that if this is true, you can jolly well be sure it will
not remain free for very long as the government will want to tax it.

The only way they will ever find out is if a man comes to read it which last happened in 2012.

You provide your name and I guess your address is also public knowledge.
Each area has record of which company is supplying which property. After
advertising your situation regarding "free" electricity it is trivial
for a vindictive person, probably a non-cyclist, to make that call for
the appropriate supplier to then bill you for the year at the current
standard rate.

You may not be that bright, but don't be so stupid to change your
current heating system. All 'good' things come to an end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 13:11, Bod wrote:
On 10/12/2016 13:08, Bod wrote:
On 10/12/2016 13:02, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:19:02 UTC, RJH wrote:

I'd find the noise an issue, and prefer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-Dra...dp/B00CA1T076/

Amazon just rang and said that the Dyson is out of stock, so I just
bought one of these instead. Might as well get free air con while I am
at it.

http://amzn.to/2hijb6l

That does not give you aircon.

This is an aircon unit:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...ir-conditioner

That's very similar to the one I fitted, the outside unit is very heavy.
The inside one isn't as heavy but it is a two man job as someone needs
to feed the pipe through the wall as you lift it into position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:18:17 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

But provided the air is cooler than 37C, it can cool you.

--
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:

it is trivial for a vindictive person, probably a non-cyclist, to
make that call for the appropriate supplier to then bill you for the
year at the current standard rate.

The 12 month limit is only for cases where the customer has acted in
good faith, if acting in bad faith they can probably go back 6 or 7 years.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-back-billing-your-rights

Storage Heaters John UK diy 3 December 22nd 10 05:20 PM
storage heaters Peter smith UK diy 7 April 29th 09 11:14 AM
Storage Heaters John UK diy 2 January 6th 07 11:45 AM
storage heaters DavidD UK diy 1 December 17th 03 11:41 AM
Storage heaters HELP!!!!!!!! lioneluk UK diy 11 December 14th 03 09:09 PM