Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default storage heaters

is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:33:37 +0100, Peter smith wrote:

is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?

Er, not using an economy 7 storage heater in the day?

I was hoping there was some way to re-wire the timer or trick it into
thinking it is night to work during the day as oposed to the cheap night
tarif. As some days its cold and by 2pm the heat is all gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Turn them off the night before so they don't store any heat?

"Peter smith" wrote in message
is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:33:37 +0100, Peter smith wrote:

is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?

Er, not using an economy 7 storage heater in the day?

I was hoping there was some way to re-wire the timer or trick it into
thinking it is night to work during the day as oposed to the cheap night
tarif. As some days its cold and by 2pm the heat is all gone.

Ah!

O.K. - some storage heaters used to come with a 'boost' function which did
this.
You would presumably need additional wiring to the main meter if they still
put in a seperate meter and wiring for the economy supply.
The answer may be that you do not have the correct type of storage heater.
Otherwise, perhaps as you suggest you can just alter the timer on the
heater.
Alternatively, just get a fan heater - are you sure that a storage heater is
the most efficient way to heat the room with electricity using a day time
tarrif?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Turn them off the night before so they don't store any heat?

"Peter smith" wrote in message
is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?

Sorry I think I was mixing up what I meant there David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

As some days its cold and by 2pm the heat is all gone.

You could fit a changeover switch between the E7 and normal circuits. But
why bother.

If they are cold by 2pm you haven't set them up correctly. A lot of people
just set everything to maximum, sweat from 7am to 2pm then freeze all
evening. Turn them down. Personally I found E7 srorage with a couple of
Dimplexes set on a low stat were perfectly adequate for my flat.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:33:37 +0100, Peter smith wrote:

is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?

Er, not using an economy 7 storage heater in the day?

I was hoping there was some way to re-wire the timer or trick it into
thinking it is night to work during the day as oposed to the cheap night
tarif. As some days its cold and by 2pm the heat is all gone.

That is why they are a complete waste of time and money, plus you pay
far more than anyone else during the day on Economy 7. You can't just
turn a heater on in the day - so you need to know which rooms to heat in
advance and then regulate that heat accordingly.
I would NEVER have them. So many people are mis-sold storage heaters.
if you run then in the day be expecting a HUGE bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
is there anyway around using a economy 7 storage heater in the day ?

As said already - set it up properly and, if that's not enough, get a
fan heater. You don't want to recharge the thing on day rate electric,
you want some heat. A fan heater can warm a room up in a few minutes.

In student digs, I used to be able to get a storage heater to keep my
room warm until evening if I kept the door and curtains shut during the
day. And that wasn't on full charge either - it that would roast me
alive as I slept if I did!

--
Scott

Storage Heaters E7 ( me again) endymion UK diy 30 September 15th 08 09:21 PM
Storage heaters R D S UK diy 14 May 26th 08 11:30 PM
Storage Heaters Michael McNeil UK diy 14 January 28th 04 10:40 AM
storage heaters DavidD UK diy 1 December 17th 03 11:41 AM
Storage heaters HELP!!!!!!!! lioneluk UK diy 11 December 14th 03 09:09 PM