Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Touch lamp

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in response
to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

just switch it on and off with 100w of RF ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 18:15:44 +0000, David Lang
wrote:

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than
groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop
it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch
round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a
poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or
whether it's a capacitance effect.

I understood it is capacitance.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than
groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop
it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch
round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a
poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or
whether it's a capacitance effect.

I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2016 18:59, Jimbo in the shack ... wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in response
to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

just switch it on and off with 100w of RF ..........

Someone for sure will suggest an Arduino, a load of optical interfaces,
power supply and leads ... about 10x the price of the lamp and ugly as
sin .... to do the same thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than
groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop
it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch
round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a
poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or
whether it's a capacitance effect.

I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

Black magic. Or in your case pink magic.

--
A worried father confronted his daughter one night.
"I don't like that new boyfriend, he's rough and common and bloody stupid with it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 December 2016 20:58:01 UTC, David Lang wrote:
I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store electric charge.

When you rub your feet on a nylon carpet, your body becomes a capacitor and stores an electric charge.

When you touch the ear of the boy sitting next to you, a spark jumps across to his ear and gives him a static electric shock. This is your body discharging.

At least that's how it worked in French lessons in school. (The French classroom was the only one with carpet.)

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

Yes, paint will make no difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 06:02:49 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
And I thought you were going to say 'the French teacher was the only one
with nylon knickers'

Would I be rubbing my feet on the French teacher's directoires?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:32:47 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Would I be rubbing my feet on the French teacher's directoires?

I dunno. Would you?

Absolutement non.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2016 10:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Which bit?

Are you saying it has no metallic outer pieces?
Brian

It doesn't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10-Dec-16 9:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Friday, 9 December 2016 20:58:01 UTC, David Lang wrote:
I understood it is capacitance.
Wot dat?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store electric charge.
When you rub your feet on a nylon carpet, your body becomes a
capacitor and
stores an electric charge.

Your body always was a capacitor. Your rubbing action charges it up.

According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting
it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

--
Sam Plusnet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 20:32:43 UTC, Sam Plusnet wrote:
On 10-Dec-16 9:05, Tim Streater wrote:

Your body always was a capacitor. Your rubbing action charges it up.

According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting
it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

An induction into a new line of argument I see.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 01:39:40 UTC, wrote:
According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting
it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

An induction into a new line of argument I see.

and one that's far 'arder to explain

Owain

Touch Lamp Repair don Home Repair 24 March 2nd 18 06:14 AM
? on NTE56041 for touch-on lamp Dave Electronics Repair 3 May 23rd 10 04:12 AM
Broken touch sensitive lamp Calvin UK diy 3 December 9th 08 09:29 PM
Touch Lamp Nightmare Don Home Repair 5 February 3rd 06 09:57 PM
touch lamp queries [email protected] UK diy 4 January 25th 06 01:25 PM