DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Touch lamp (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/582674-touch-lamp.html)

David Lang December 9th 16 06:15 PM

Touch lamp

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Jimbo in the shack ... December 9th 16 06:59 PM

Touch lamp

"David Lang" wrote in message
I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in response
to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

just switch it on and off with 100w of RF ..........

Tim Lamb[_2_] December 9th 16 07:53 PM

Touch lamp

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 18:15:44 +0000, David Lang
wrote:

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than
groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop
it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch
round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a
poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or
whether it's a capacitance effect.

I understood it is capacitance.

--
Tim Lamb

David Lang December 9th 16 08:57 PM

Touch lamp

wrote:

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than
groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop
it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch
round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a
poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or
whether it's a capacitance effect.

I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

rick December 9th 16 09:05 PM

Touch lamp

On 09/12/2016 18:59, Jimbo in the shack ... wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in response
to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

just switch it on and off with 100w of RF ..........

Someone for sure will suggest an Arduino, a load of optical interfaces,
power supply and leads ... about 10x the price of the lamp and ugly as
sin .... to do the same thing.

James Wilkinson Sword December 9th 16 09:09 PM

Touch lamp

wrote:

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in
response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than
groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop
it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch
round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a
poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or
whether it's a capacitance effect.

I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

Black magic. Or in your case pink magic.

--
A worried father confronted his daughter one night.
"I don't like that new boyfriend, he's rough and common and bloody stupid with it."

[email protected] December 9th 16 11:04 PM

Touch lamp

On Friday, 9 December 2016 20:58:01 UTC, David Lang wrote:
I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store electric charge.

When you rub your feet on a nylon carpet, your body becomes a capacitor and stores an electric charge.

When you touch the ear of the boy sitting next to you, a spark jumps across to his ear and gives him a static electric shock. This is your body discharging.

At least that's how it worked in French lessons in school. (The French classroom was the only one with carpet.)

Owain

Peter Parry December 9th 16 11:33 PM

Touch lamp

wrote:

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some
kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

Yes, paint will make no difference.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 10th 16 06:02 AM

Touch lamp

On 10/12/16 01:04, wrote:
On Friday, 9 December 2016 20:58:01 UTC, David Lang wrote:
I understood it is capacitance.

Wot dat?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store electric charge.

When you rub your feet on a nylon carpet, your body becomes a capacitor and stores an electric charge.

When you touch the ear of the boy sitting next to you, a spark jumps across to his ear and gives him a static electric shock. This is your body discharging.

At least that's how it worked in French lessons in school. (The French classroom was the only one with carpet.)

Owain

And I thought you were going to say 'the French teacher was the only one
with nylon knickers'

[email protected] December 10th 16 09:48 AM

Touch lamp

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 06:02:49 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
And I thought you were going to say 'the French teacher was the only one
with nylon knickers'

Would I be rubbing my feet on the French teacher's directoires?

Owain

Brian Gaff December 10th 16 10:36 AM

Touch lamp

Which bit?

Are you saying it has no metallic outer pieces?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Brian Gaff December 10th 16 10:37 AM

Touch lamp

Also if you have a cat, then these things tend to be an issue as climbing
cats tend to operate them just as well as we do.
Brian

--
----- -

[email protected] December 10th 16 11:11 AM

Touch lamp

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 10:32:47 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Would I be rubbing my feet on the French teacher's directoires?

I dunno. Would you?

Absolutement non.

Owain

David Lang December 10th 16 07:21 PM

Touch lamp

On 10/12/2016 10:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Which bit?

Are you saying it has no metallic outer pieces?
Brian

It doesn't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Sam Plusnet December 10th 16 08:32 PM

Touch lamp

On 10-Dec-16 9:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Friday, 9 December 2016 20:58:01 UTC, David Lang wrote:
I understood it is capacitance.
Wot dat?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store electric charge.
When you rub your feet on a nylon carpet, your body becomes a
capacitor and
stores an electric charge.

Your body always was a capacitor. Your rubbing action charges it up.

According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting
it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

--
Sam Plusnet

[email protected] December 11th 16 01:39 AM

Touch lamp

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 20:32:43 UTC, Sam Plusnet wrote:
On 10-Dec-16 9:05, Tim Streater wrote:

Your body always was a capacitor. Your rubbing action charges it up.

According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting
it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

An induction into a new line of argument I see.

NT

[email protected] December 11th 16 09:25 AM

Touch lamp

On Sunday, 11 December 2016 01:39:40 UTC, wrote:
According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting
it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

An induction into a new line of argument I see.

and one that's far 'arder to explain

Owain