Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default touch lamp queries

I've just had two bulbs in two separate touch lamps fail. I've
replaced the bulbs and checked the fuses but neither will work.

I took the bottom off one of the lamps and discovered two plastic boxes
about an inch square with various wires going into them, but both were
sealed with hot glue and didn't seem as if they were going to open
easily (and I'm not sure what I'd find if I got in there).

Is there any way to get them working again or are they destined for the
B&Q returns desk? (They're six months old, I've got the receipt and I
think they should last a bit longer than that.)

Also, when they were working and plugged into the upstairs power
circuit, these lights would sometimes turn themselves on when the
bathroom light was switched off. The bathroom light is on the upstairs
lighting circuit. We have a fuse box that dates from the 1960's with
rewirable fuse carriers but the house has been rewired since then and
is in good order as far as I know. Anyone know why a change on one
circuit should cause the touch lamps to switch?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison

On 24 Jan 2006 06:57:37 -0800, wrote:

I've just had two bulbs in two separate touch lamps fail. I've
replaced the bulbs and checked the fuses but neither will work.

I took the bottom off one of the lamps and discovered two plastic boxes
about an inch square with various wires going into them, but both were
sealed with hot glue and didn't seem as if they were going to open
easily (and I'm not sure what I'd find if I got in there).

Is there any way to get them working again or are they destined for the
B&Q returns desk? (They're six months old, I've got the receipt and I
think they should last a bit longer than that.)

Clearly not fit for purpose so shouldn't be a problem returning them

Also, when they were working and plugged into the upstairs power
circuit, these lights would sometimes turn themselves on when the
bathroom light was switched off. The bathroom light is on the upstairs
lighting circuit. We have a fuse box that dates from the 1960's with
rewirable fuse carriers but the house has been rewired since then and
is in good order as far as I know. Anyone know why a change on one
circuit should cause the touch lamps to switch?

Thanks for any advice.

They may have internal fuses (possibly a thin circuit board track or wire-link). or the switching
element probably a small triac) may be dead.

Touch lamps are inherently sensitive to interference as they need to be sensitive to the low-current
signal generated by touching them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al

Is there any way to get them working again or are they destined for the
B&Q returns desk? (They're six months old, I've got the receipt and I
think they should last a bit longer than that.)

We've got loads of "Carramar" brand touch lights around the house and never
had any problems with them (apart from blowing fuses with one particular
batch of bulbs).

Sounds to me like they are faulty.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
petek

Just as a matter of interest we have a small "touch" table lamp on top
of the television. The lamp switches on/off by touch and also changes
brightness level by touch. When we turn on the television the lamp
turns on (or off if it's already on). Sometimes when changing channels
with the remote control the lamp also switches a brightness level up. I
presume it's something to do with changes in the magnetic field around
the TV which is switching the lamp. So, a change in the power circuit
mentioned in the original post may be creating a small change in the
magnetic field which is being picked up by the lamp. Does this sound
logical or am I way off the mark?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

petek said the following on 24/01/2006 21:20:
Just as a matter of interest we have a small "touch" table lamp on top
of the television. The lamp switches on/off by touch and also changes
brightness level by touch. When we turn on the television the lamp
turns on (or off if it's already on). Sometimes when changing channels
with the remote control the lamp also switches a brightness level up. I
presume it's something to do with changes in the magnetic field around
the TV which is switching the lamp. So, a change in the power circuit
mentioned in the original post may be creating a small change in the
magnetic field which is being picked up by the lamp. Does this sound
logical or am I way off the mark?

Actually, it's the change in electrostatic field around the telly that
affects the touch lamp. The sensor for the lamp is very high impedance.

HTH