Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default Looking for photocell for lamp

montana wildhack wrote:

Way back when, I bought my parents a photosensor that was a little black
box which plugged into a wall socket & then you plugged the lamp into
that. You could put the little black box closer to the window (on the
window side of the curtains) and it worked really well, turning the lamp
on at dusk, or when the weather made the day really dark.

I have seen units that screw into the lamp between the lamp and the
bulb, but they don't do a great job because the curtains interfere with
the photosensor's interpretation of light.

Well, if you really can't find that "separate" kind you want, you could
always wire a lamp bulb socket to a cord and plug, put one of those
"screw into the lamp" kind of photoswitches into it, screw a bulb
threaded plug adaptor into that and plug the lamp into it.

That would permit you to put the photoswitch in the window.

A bit klutzy to be sure, but it will work.

HTH,

Jeff

Does anyone know where I shoul look for this type of photocell? I've
checked all the local places and Googled, but I'm still coming up empty.

Any help appreciated!

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

montana wildhack wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I think HD still sells them. You also have a adjusting shutter for cell
sensitivity.
Tony
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 06:48:41 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

montana wildhack wrote:

[...]

I have seen them at Menards.
or even though I am no fan of Ebay, give Ebay a try,