Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New sauna problems

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 22:00:20 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 20:47:46 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 19:43, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, 2 December 2016 19:18:36 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It is not functioning.
The wiring is a disgrace, good enough for you, but not for most
who have commented.
Just what does that tell you?

IT'S NOT BLOODY FINISHED YET.

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

Another blown junction box found.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CysgnYtW8AEdNVp.jpg

You need a digital multimeter with a text display that says

"Cow's **** of a job"

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a
pile of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're
being a bit unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Are you one of those people like Pamela Anderson that does it with
farm animals?

Good grief!
You are now very very close to being sectioned.
Read:
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s...ut-sectioning/

I'm not the one that like cows' pussies. That would be Tim. Try to learn to understand newsgroups a little better before you poke fun at the wrong person.

And everybody's seen the Pamela Anderson horse video.

--
If you jog in a jogging suit, lounge in lounging pyjamas, and smoke in a smoking jacket, why would anyone want to wear a windbreaker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:47, Tim+ wrote:

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a pile
of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're being a bit
unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

I should have said "cows ****s" rather than just cows. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 22:18:26 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:47, Tim+ wrote:

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a pile
of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're being a bit
unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

I should have said "cows ****s" rather than just cows. ;-)

That bit tastes better than the other bits?

--
One of the first things you learn on your honeymoon is,
when you're carrying your bride over the threshold, always go in sideways,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2016 21:06, ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:47, Tim+ wrote:

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a pile
of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're being a bit
unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

Not if they are more than 30 months old, which most cows will be.

BSE regulations, after the mad cow disease disaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

Wired in OK, but mains in is only showing 3VAC.

Showing measured with what ?

Likely the previous one dying ****ed the mains supply.

It may just be a lousy joint or maybe the previous one
didnt actually die at all and the problem was always
the mains supply to it and you are seeing the same
result with the new one. If thats the case, its likely your
very bodgy wiring that has now produced that result.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyrszQZWEAEbCbU.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 09:53:31 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Friday, 2 December 2016 17:46:53 UTC, GB wrote:
On 02/12/2016 17:38, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, 2 December 2016 17:16:42 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyrszQZWEAEbCbU.jpg

I was talking about the number of strands in the cable. It looks like
you've broken some of the conductors in the cable.

Look closer, they're behind a black separator.
Strain relief? he's heard of it ...

They're two safety cut off devices.
Looks like this now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CysEHyJWEAI3Ea0.jpg

Good grief! Are you seriously proposing to get into that?

Or are you planning to murder someone but get off with just gross
negligence manslaughter?

Well, today I have just calibrated a 28MHz vertical, relit my gas boiler, wired in a new sauna and fitted a new hifi but I only have a Chemistry degree.

Oh - when did you get your Chemistry "degree"?

I am surprised you never bragged about that in the URC days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:49:22 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Friday, 2 December 2016 20:12:00 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
Another blown junction box found.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CysgnYtW8AEdNVp.jpg

and, what does that tell you?

People make rubbish saunas

How about: people **** about with electricity when they very clearly don't know
what they are doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

You have no spare PP3s?

Only in the smoke alarm.

Why was the sauna supply not adequately fused?

It is wired directly from the fuse box before the fuses.

What a complete ****ing abortion.

A serious fault will take out the supply fuse and
the entire house will be without power until the
electricity supplier shows up and replaces that.

If it doesnt burn the ****ing house down in which case
there will be nowhere to put the replacement supply fuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote
Tim+ wrote

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s"
from a pile of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think
you're being a bit unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

Lambs provide a much better one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Friday, 2 December 2016 21:20:25 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 20:49:22 -0000, Simon Mason
wrote:

On Friday, 2 December 2016 20:12:00 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
Another blown junction box found.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CysgnYtW8AEdNVp.jpg

and, what does that tell you?

People make rubbish saunas

How difficult would it have been to put a fuse in the circuit? All cable
should have a fuse at the same rating or lower than the cable, then it
won't catch fire.

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

And it clearly didnt protect it.

It could have seen the house on fire, particularly
given the wood panelling you have quite a bit of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 00:34:15 UTC, Judith wrote:
e.

Oh - when did you get your Chemistry "degree"?

I am surprised you never bragged about that in the URC days.

GRSC at Hull College of Higher Education in 1981 where Phil Larkin was the librarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_...Chemistry#GRSC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

And it clearly didnt protect it.

It could have seen the house on fire, particularly
given the wood panelling you have quite a bit of.

They are pine logs 4ins thick that make up the wall of the sauna.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

And it clearly didnt protect it.

It could have seen the house on fire, particularly
given the wood panelling you have quite a bit of.

They are pine logs 4ins thick that make up the wall of the sauna.

And could easily burn the entire house down
if one of the junction boxes on fire set that alight.

What is so hard about connecting the line that
feeds the sauna after a fuse ? Even if the problem
is with the current the sauna uses when on full,
its completely insane to not have that fused.

It should be fed from an RCD too given that
the sauna is a mix of electricity and water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 05:44:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

And it clearly didnt protect it.

It could have seen the house on fire, particularly
given the wood panelling you have quite a bit of.

They are pine logs 4ins thick that make up the wall of the sauna.

And could easily burn the entire house down
if one of the junction boxes on fire set that alight.

It is nowhere near the house.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwMxLg0W8AIBpZf.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

And it clearly didnt protect it.

It could have seen the house on fire, particularly
given the wood panelling you have quite a bit of.

They are pine logs 4ins thick that make up the wall of the sauna.

And could easily burn the entire house down
if one of the junction boxes on fire set that alight.

It is nowhere near the house.

Doesnt need to be, plenty of places get burnt down by
the full detached house next door going up in flames.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwMxLg0W8AIBpZf.jpg

Thats a picture of the inside of the garage.

Do you really want a relative or friend killed in that sauna,
even if you dont care about yourself getting killed ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 06:39:30 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Do you really want a relative or friend killed in that sauna,
even if you dont care about yourself getting killed ?

I am immune fron death until....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyrCME9XEAATkLs.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 23:56:31 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 02/12/2016 21:06, ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:47, Tim+ wrote:

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a
pile of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're
being a bit unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

Not if they are more than 30 months old, which most cows will be.

BSE regulations, after the mad cow disease disaster.

Way out of date now ...

the 30mth thing went away ages ago - still controls but plenty over 30mth

--
The reaper does not listen to the harvest.
(Reaper Man)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Do you really want a relative or friend killed in that sauna,
even if you dont care about yourself getting killed ?

I am immune fron death

Like hell you are. And you arent the only
one who will ever use that sauna anyway.

until....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyrCME9XEAATkLs.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 08:36:27 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Do you really want a relative or friend killed in that sauna,
even if you dont care about yourself getting killed ?

I am immune fron death

Like hell you are. And you arent the only
one who will ever use that sauna anyway.

Got my tester a new battery and it looks like it's my tap into the pre fuse wiring. Should be fixed soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:20:30 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

You have no spare PP3s?

Only in the smoke alarm.

Why was the sauna supply not adequately fused?

It is wired directly from the fuse box before the fuses.

And who wired it in such a fashion?

You?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 20:33:41 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

.

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

Do you mean when you did the wiring?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

You have no spare PP3s?

Only in the smoke alarm.

Why was the sauna supply not adequately fused?

It is wired directly from the fuse box before the fuses.

And who wired it in such a fashion?

You?

Yes - here is my expert handiwork.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyvpxSVWEAANw4d.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 03:46, Rod Speed wrote:

A serious fault will take out the supply fuse and
the entire house will be without power until the
electricity supplier shows up and replaces that.

I took the suppliers fuse out on a friends house when I was about 8.
Made an electromagnet out of some old transformer wire and a mechano rod
and obviously the insulation was buggered.
Plugged it into the mains, bang and everything went black.
Some silly bstard had replaced the fuses with copper wire/foil.
I got the blame not the bstard that had replaced the fuses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

You have no spare PP3s?

Only in the smoke alarm.

Why was the sauna supply not adequately fused?

It is wired directly from the fuse box before the fuses.

And who wired it in such a fashion?

You?

Yes - here is my expert handiwork.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyvpxSVWEAANw4d.jpg

That's the fused side so either it isn't yours or you were making it up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2016 23:56, Andrew wrote:
On 02/12/2016 21:06, ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:47, Tim+ wrote:

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a
pile
of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're being a bit
unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

Not if they are more than 30 months old, which most cows will be.

BSE regulations, after the mad cow disease disaster.

There still isn't evidence that eating the cows gave you any illness,
even vegetarians got CJD.
Usually they did work with farm animals and would have been exposed to
dust from the feed.
I bet that if they wore dust masks they wouldn't have got CJD as its
more likely the prions passed through the nasal lining straight into the
brain than they survived the digestion process and got to the brain IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

You have no spare PP3s?

Only in the smoke alarm.

Why was the sauna supply not adequately fused?

It is wired directly from the fuse box before the fuses.

And who wired it in such a fashion?

You?

Yes - here is my expert handiwork.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyvpxSVWEAANw4d.jpg

You're a fan of radial circuits, then? Did you need to cut any strands
out of the 6mm cables to get 2 of them into the terminal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/12/2016 11:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 03/12/2016 03:46, Rod Speed wrote:

A serious fault will take out the supply fuse and
the entire house will be without power until the
electricity supplier shows up and replaces that.

I took the suppliers fuse out on a friends house when I was about 8.
Made an electromagnet out of some old transformer wire and a mechano rod
and obviously the insulation was buggered.

Maybe not the insulation. That would be copper wire, so unless you had
miles of it the resistance would be negligible. Even formed into a coil
round a meccano rod, the impedance would be tiny too.

That's pretty impressive for an 8 year old.

I did much the same (when a fair bit older than 8), but powered off a 6
or 12 volt transformer.

Plugged it into the mains, bang and everything went black.
Some silly bstard had replaced the fuses with copper wire/foil.
I got the blame not the bstard that had replaced the fuses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 12:05:30 +0000, GB
wrote:

Maybe not the insulation. That would be copper wire, so unless you had
miles of it the resistance would be negligible. Even formed into a coil
round a meccano rod, the impedance would be tiny too.

That's pretty impressive for an 8 year old.

I did much the same (when a fair bit older than 8), but powered off a 6
or 12 volt transformer.

I think I took the safer method climbing amongst rusty old vehicles
with various fluids and substances spilling from them to remove the
solenoids from the trafficators. I was around Nine and got the idea
from a Ladybird Book. Also got a few ignition coils as a source of
copper wire although they were a bit messy when dismantled with the
oil they contained, nothing Swarfega couln't handle though I suppose
it may have been that PCB stuff.
Garage owner just said be careful when I asked him if I could explore
his scrap pile.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 12:05, GB wrote:
On 03/12/2016 11:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 03/12/2016 03:46, Rod Speed wrote:

A serious fault will take out the supply fuse and
the entire house will be without power until the
electricity supplier shows up and replaces that.

I took the suppliers fuse out on a friends house when I was about 8.
Made an electromagnet out of some old transformer wire and a mechano rod
and obviously the insulation was buggered.

Maybe not the insulation. That would be copper wire, so unless you had
miles of it the resistance would be negligible. Even formed into a coil
round a meccano rod, the impedance would be tiny too.

That's pretty impressive for an 8 year old.

I did much the same (when a fair bit older than 8), but powered off a 6
or 12 volt transformer.

It had been done connected to a transformer but it wasn't strong enough. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Andrew wrote
ARW wrote
Tim+ wrote

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s"
from a pile of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think
you're being a bit unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

Not if they are more than 30 months old, which most cows will be.

BSE regulations, after the mad cow disease disaster.

There still isn't evidence that eating the cows gave you any illness,

BULL****.

even vegetarians got CJD.

Not ones that had never got anywhere near the animal feed.

Usually they did work with farm animals and
would have been exposed to dust from the feed.

Irrelevant to whether there is lots of evidence that eating cows
which had been fed the contaminated feed can give you CJD.

I bet that if they wore dust masks they wouldn't have got CJD as its
more likely the prions passed through the nasal lining straight into the
brain than they survived the digestion process and got to the brain IMO.

Irrelevant to whether there is lots of evidence that eating cows
which had been fed the contaminated feed can give you CJD.

I has been trivially shown that no one who has
only ever eaten grass fed cows has never got CJD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2016 21:06, ARW wrote:
On 02/12/2016 20:47, Tim+ wrote:

Having spend yesterday morning dissecting out 15 "cows ****s" from a pile
of rectums, bladders and reproductive tracts, I think you're being a bit
unfair to cows. They're not *that* awful. ;-)

Cows provide a good Sunday roast.

Not if they are more than 30 months old, which most cows will be.

BSE regulations, after the mad cow disease disaster.

That's what you get from eating dead things, it's no good for you.

--
The Muslim across the road started yelling "I'm going to end it all!", and started to pour petrol over himself.
As he was about to strike a match, I shouted "Abdul, no! Stop, wait, it's times like these that you need your family around you!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

Don't be so ****ing daft, you replace the fuse yourself, just like any other.

--
19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that christmas decorations were chocolate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

WTF is a "trafficator"?

--
When a woman wears leather clothing, a man's heart beats quicker, his throat gets dry, he goes weak in the knees, and he begins to think irrationally.
Ever wonder why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Dec 2016 09:20:56 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 08:36:27 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Do you really want a relative or friend killed in that sauna,
even if you dont care about yourself getting killed ?

I am immune fron death

Like hell you are. And you arent the only
one who will ever use that sauna anyway.

Why would he care more about someone else than himself?

Got my tester a new battery and it looks like it's my tap into the pre fuse wiring. Should be fixed soon.

Your photo showed it tapped AFTER the red 30A fuse on the right.

--
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an oscillating electric fan set on medium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

.

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

Do you mean when you did the wiring?

I was trying to think what you could do with a 50W sauna.

--
The probability that a given thread has degenerated into a ****ing contest is directly proportional to its number of replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Friday, 2 December 2016 20:12:00 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Mason used his keyboard to write :
Another blown junction box found.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CysgnYtW8AEdNVp.jpg

and, what does that tell you?

People make rubbish saunas

How about: people **** about with electricity when they very clearly don't know
what they are doing.

Electricity really isn't that complicated.

--
If a cow laughs, does milk come out of its nose?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 December 2016 11:46:23 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Yes - here is my expert handiwork.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyvpxSVWEAANw4d.jpg

That's the fused side so either it isn't yours or you were making it up.

It was 16 years ago, so I must have wired in in properly after all.

ANYWAY - IT ALL WORKS OK NOW, SO OFF FOR SOME LOYLY SOON.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote

The job has stopped as my multimeter has a flat PP3.

You have no spare PP3s?

Only in the smoke alarm.

Why was the sauna supply not adequately fused?

It is wired directly from the fuse box before the fuses.

What a complete ****ing abortion.

A serious fault will take out the supply fuse and
the entire house will be without power until the
electricity supplier shows up and replaces that.

Don't be so ****ing daft, you replace the fuse yourself, just like any
other.

Someone who doesnt have any spare PP3
battery wont have a spare 50A fuse, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Do you really want a relative or friend killed in that sauna,
even if you dont care about yourself getting killed ?

I am immune fron death

Like hell you are. And you arent the only
one who will ever use that sauna anyway.

Why would he care more about someone else than himself?

Because he isnt a sociopath like you.

Got my tester a new battery and it looks like it's my tap into the pre
fuse wiring. Should be fixed soon.

Your photo showed it tapped AFTER the red 30A fuse on the right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

.

There is the big ******* 50W main fuse of course.

50A, actually.

I had had 5 pints by then.

Do you mean when you did the wiring?

I was trying to think what you could do with a 50W sauna.

Gave a mouse a decent sauna, stupid.

Sauna Not Working trax Home Repair 5 April 27th 11 04:11 PM
Sauna flooring gas Home Repair 3 March 12th 08 12:45 PM
Sauna in the shower? Redneckbikerjedi Home Repair 8 July 9th 07 05:31 PM
A frugal sauna m Ransley Home Repair 4 January 7th 06 07:33 PM
DIY Sauna plans RedRed UK diy 4 June 6th 05 07:23 PM