Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sauna in the shower?

Looking for a plumbing person who can help out....

I was at a massage therapist several years ago, and I was asked if I
wanted a sauna prior to. (I have crippling arthritis in my back and
knees) I was put in an enclosed shower on a bench with some towels -
it was enclosed wall to floor with glass walls and doors. There was a
spigot at the floor that was turned on and it was piping in very hot
and very humid air into the shower. In short time it was nice and
toasty and my pain eased up.

I have been thinking about hiring a contractor to build a sauna for me
to help with my pain, but if I can just enclose my shower and do it
that way, I can save a fortune. A plumber for a couple hours beats
shelling out thousands for a sauna right now - so I can put it off and
use the money for other things. (Got a baby on the way) Does anyone
have any idea of how they did that? What do you think the source of
the air might have been? How was it "wet" air instead of "dry" air?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Redneckbikerjedi" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Does a long soak in a really hot tub offer any relief? I have similar
problems and just use that ... I refresh the hot water often (every 10 min.)
.... one hour is the minimum time to get lasting relief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Do a search for steam showers. In addition to a plumber you will also need
an electrician to wire it. The hard part is finding a good spot to put the
steam generating unit.

Personally I find a Jacuzzi style hot tub very beneficial for aches and
pains. Hydro massage bath tubs are good also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All that stuff helps, and my parents have a hot tub I soak in
sometimes. But I have found that I get the most relief from a sauna. I
get almost as much relief from it as I do from taking prescription
pain killers. I love them. (Saunas, not the pills.) Not to mention
they are great for sweating out a lot of toxins and what not.

Steam showers - I'll check it out. Thanks. Any other input is still
welcome.

On Jul 7, 7:45 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Redneckbikerjedi" wrote in message
ps.com...
All that stuff helps, and my parents have a hot tub I soak in
sometimes. But I have found that I get the most relief from a sauna. I
get almost as much relief from it as I do from taking prescription
pain killers. I love them. (Saunas, not the pills.) Not to mention
they are great for sweating out a lot of toxins and what not.

Steam showers - I'll check it out. Thanks. Any other input is still
welcome.

Had a steamer unit in a shower once. It cost a bit to install, as it
required it's own electric line. I used it for a bit at first, but then
sporadically, and finally none. In the meantime, it corroded. So, it sits
there unhooked and unused.

I'd never do it again.

A sauna sounds like a simple thing. Not a lot of moving parts or plumbing
or lines.

I do have spas and like them. I have two Jacuzzi tubs in my house, and
NEVER use them.

It's a catch 22 because you have to spend a lot to find out if you really
like them. Whatever them is. And if you find out you don't like "them",
you're out the money.

I thought I'd like the Jacuzzis, but they are get cold quick. A hot tub,
on the other hand, is ready to go, and to me penetrates deeper into the
muscles. But then, there's the cost of keeping water warm a lot and using
it a little.

One size don't fit all.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know we are a bit off topic for this group, but....

I've been researching prices for steam showers vs saunas, and it looks
like I can buy a one man infrared sauna for between $1200 and $1500
depending on where I shop. So I may go that way. I am in the process
of converting my garage into a den, and I'll put it in there. That is
a hell of a lot cheaper than I thought they would be, and they are
cheaper and less hassle than setting up a steam shower and all the
equipment that goes with it. I found an inexpensive steam shower
attachment that you install in your shower for about the same price,
but by time I buy the glass to enclose the shower and all that, it is
starting to get expensive.

On Jul 7, 11:21 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles wrote:

"Redneckbikerjedi" wrote:

I was at a massage therapist several years ago, and I was asked if I
wanted a sauna prior to. (I have crippling arthritis in my back and
knees) I was put in an enclosed shower on a bench with some towels -
it was enclosed wall to floor with glass walls and doors. There was a
spigot at the floor that was turned on and it was piping in very hot
and very humid air into the shower. In short time it was nice and
toasty and my pain eased up.

Sounds like steam, vs a dry sauna...

I have been thinking about hiring a contractor to build a sauna for me
to help with my pain, but if I can just enclose my shower and do it
that way, I can save a fortune. A plumber for a couple hours beats
shelling out thousands for a sauna right now...

I made a steam generator to bend wood from a $20 1500 watt coffee urn,
bypassing the thermostat and adding a tube to the top. Autofill would be
nice, eg a toilet or stock tank float valve on a cold water bucket that
connects with a tube to the urn spigot. You might push the steam output
tube into a downsloping hole in the drainpipe above the trap.

Keeping a shower enclosure 120 F with a thermostat controlling the steam
generator in a 70 F room with 1500x3.41 = 5.1K Btu/h makes the enclosure
conductance 102 Btu/h-F max. If it's 2'x6'x8', its 152 ft^2 of surface
needs needs an R152/102 = R1.5 R-value, not much. I'd go higher, eg R15,
like 2" of foil-faced polyiso foamboard with fiberglass facing, to lower
the average power to 150 watts.

Does a long soak in a really hot tub offer any relief? I have similar
problems and just use that... I refresh the hot water often (every 10 min.)
... one hour is the minimum time to get lasting relief.

A remote bulb hot tub thermostat might bubble steam into the tub water
from a non-conductive tube over the side to keep it 105 F, adding less
than 5 lb/h of water.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
Charles wrote:

"Redneckbikerjedi" wrote:

[...]

Some gravel in the urn made boiling less explosive...

Nick

Sauna heater question... [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 14th 06 07:01 PM
A frugal sauna [email protected] Home Repair 38 January 16th 06 02:10 AM
A frugal sauna m Ransley Home Repair 4 January 7th 06 07:33 PM
DIY Sauna plans RedRed UK diy 4 June 6th 05 07:23 PM