Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eusebius" wrote in message
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the
bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3"
from bath.

that old chestnut...no but it is coming so I was told years ago ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 12:22:29 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Eusebius" wrote in message
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the
bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3"
from bath.

that old chestnut...no but it is coming so I was told years ago ....

When my french flatmate complained that there was no socket in the bathroom
for her to plug her hairdryer in she then asked me for an extention lead, I said yuo;r not talking one into the bathroom it's illegal in the UK, she said I'm french so your laws aren't for me or words to that effect.
So I said **** off then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

that old chestnut...no but it is coming so I was told years ago ....

When my french flatmate complained that there was no socket in the bathroom
for her to plug her hairdryer in she then asked me for an extention lead, I said yuo;r not talking one into the bathroom it's illegal in the UK, she said I'm french so your laws aren't for me or words to that effect.
So I said **** off then.

Extension lead in bathroom..... whoa!

So not allowed at present. Drill hole in wall it seems and take the mains cable outside to the hallway wall. .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the
bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3"
from bath.

I have four of them inside the cupboard that contains the hot water
cylinder. ;-) But they are RCD protected. Shelf under them to place things
on charge. Can't stand seeing such things lying around plugged into the
shaver socket.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But
surely a Fixed connection unit, so that it is permanently wired and
cannot be unplugged, would be legal? After all that is what most
electric towel rails and heaters have, and a permanently wired solution
is legal for those.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 14:28:40 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But
surely a Fixed connection unit, so that it is permanently wired and
cannot be unplugged, would be legal? After all that is what most
electric towel rails and heaters have, and a permanently wired solution
is legal for those.

Yes I have a fan heater on the wall but it;s hardwired which is what the regs required in the late 1980s I assume it;s the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom.

Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But

Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is
either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The
regulations aren't the law.

In fact I believe that you can wire to any EU standard (at least until
we leave the EU) and it would be 'legal'.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 15:02, Chris Green wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom.

Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But

Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is
either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The
regulations aren't the law.

In fact I believe that you can wire to any EU standard (at least until
we leave the EU) and it would be 'legal'.

OK against the regulations then. Either way, as far as I can tell from
the regs anything can be in there if it is hard wired.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the
bathroom.
Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from
bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But

Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is
either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The
regulations aren't the law.

In fact I believe that you can wire to any EU standard (at least until
we leave the EU) and it would be 'legal'.

OK against the regulations then. Either way, as far as I can tell from
the regs anything can be in there if it is hard wired.

That's generally the case - depending on the zone its in. Also it needs
to pass the sanity check of "is it suitable for the location?". So if
its somewhere its likely to routinely get splashed then a normal non
weather proof accessory may not be ideal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom.

Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But

Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is
either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The
regulations aren't the law.

Wiring a socket in a bathroom within the allotted areas could get you
gaol time.

In that sense it is quite safe to say it is illegal, in much the same
way making a manoeuvre in a car that could lead to a death could also be
described as "illegal".

In fact I believe that you can wire to any EU standard (at least until
we leave the EU) and it would be 'legal'.

If you saw the wiring in other EU countries I really don't think so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is
either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The
regulations aren't the law.

Wiring a socket in a bathroom within the allotted areas could get you
gaol time.

Really?

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is
either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The
regulations aren't the law.

Wiring a socket in a bathroom within the allotted areas could get you
gaol time.

Really?

if it results in someone's death, it might well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , MrCheerful
escribió:

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though)

Me too, in another property. The builder who refurbished the bathroom threw
his hands up in horror when I asked for it. I insisted as it was the only
space available for the machine in the apartment. In the end, we agreed on
an outdoor one similar to this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-1-...g-socket/30430

on its own circuit with an RCD in the CU. It's hidden behind the machine so
isn't accessible to Frenchwomen brandishing hairdryers.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 15:10, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

on its own circuit with an RCD in the CU. It's hidden behind the machine so
isn't accessible to Frenchwomen brandishing hairdryers.

But can presumably be made available if Scandinavian?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

But can presumably be made available if Scandinavian?

That would be an ecumenical matter.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 3:28:40 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though) But
surely a Fixed connection unit, so that it is permanently wired and
cannot be unplugged, would be legal? After all that is what most
electric towel rails and heaters have, and a permanently wired solution
is legal for those.

I may have recalled incorrectly, but it might be O.K. if

1) The cupboard can only be opened with a separate tool.
2) The closed cupboard meets the necessary Ingress Protection rating (IP rating) for its location in the bathroom.

*NOTE* I am not an electrician, and not qualified to advise. Please consult a qualified person, who is free to castigate me as fool who should not be allowed out without supervision.

Sid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 12:14, Eusebius wrote:
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the
bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and
4'3" from bath.

Sockets in bathrooms are now permitted (since 17th edition) *but* only
if 3m or more from the edge of zone 1 - so not much use in small
bathrooms. They would also be permitted if the cupboard could only be
accessed with a tool.

The normal way of connecting would be with a switched FCU.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can but why not simply wire in the machine permanently?
After all where would the wire come out when the door is closed?

Next question will no doubt be can I use an Arc welder in a Kitchen, or keep
Chickens in the bedroom? :-)
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Eusebius" wrote in message
Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the
bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3"
from bath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have that problem in a shower room. To wire in permanently means
removing a factory fitted, moulded on plug. Doing that negates the
guarantee,

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
You can but why not simply wire in the machine permanently?
After all where would the wire come out when the door is closed?

Next question will no doubt be can I use an Arc welder in a Kitchen, or keep
Chickens in the bedroom? :-)
Brian

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You can but why not simply wire in the machine permanently?
After all where would the wire come out when the door is closed?

Next question will no doubt be can I use an Arc welder in a Kitchen, or keep
Chickens in the bedroom? :-)
Brian

So change the mains lead, in the event of guarantee problems replace the
original. Or just cut the plug off, many people do that where the
socket is above the worksurface, it should not be legal grounds to
invalidate the guarantee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 18:00, charles wrote:
I have that problem in a shower room. To wire in permanently means
removing a factory fitted, moulded on plug. Doing that negates the
guarantee,

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/11/16 18:00, charles wrote:
I have that problem in a shower room. To wire in permanently means
removing a factory fitted, moulded on plug. Doing that negates the
guarantee,

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Can't see why it would if the plug is correctly fitted.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 00:30:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/11/16 18:00, charles wrote:
I have that problem in a shower room. To wire in permanently means
removing a factory fitted, moulded on plug. Doing that negates the
guarantee,

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Can't see why it would if the plug is correctly fitted.

Isnt it simialr to a sticker falling off saying "warrenty void if removed".
All it means is the company refused to guarentee something that could have been '****ed' with and then put back together so it's not noticable.

I;'m not saying they are right to claim this it';s just what they say.

It;'s similar to lifetime guarantees where the con is that you have to have a reciept why ?
If a product is faulty it goers back to the manufacter for replacement NOT the store, as where you brought it should be irrelivant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You can but why not simply wire in the machine permanently?
After all where would the wire come out when the door is closed?

Next question will no doubt be can I use an Arc welder in a Kitchen, or
keep Chickens in the bedroom? :-)
Brian

or a car IN a house like the merrycans did .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

seen loads of washing machines in bathrooms......we had a planning officer
with one...fun getting him to remove it...felt good....big Duncan