Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a kitchen cupboard door inside panel as a white board?

Hi all,

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.

Is there a type of paint I could use to get a better finish to use like
this?

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping list on.

Presumably the plan is that, when the time comes to go shopping, you
then unhinge the door and take it shopping with you. Either that or
you copy the list onto the back of an envelope.

Cosmic, as Rodney used to say.

Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and
hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then
you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/10 12:26, Ronald Raygun wrote:
Mick. wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping list on.

Presumably the plan is that, when the time comes to go shopping, you
then unhinge the door and take it shopping with you. Either that or
you copy the list onto the back of an envelope.

Cosmic, as Rodney used to say.

Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and
hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then
you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

I'd cam-phone-photo the back of the door and refer to that in the shop -
simples.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.

wrong pen. go for ones meant for whiteboards

Is there a type of paint I could use to get a better finish to use like
this?

just buy a bit of whiteboard cheap and remove the frame and glue inside,
if it don't work with proper pens.
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping list on.

Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and
hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then
you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

I'd cam-phone-photo the back of the door and refer to that in the shop -
simples.

Yeah right. Cosmic again. It's ergonomically very poor.

A phone screen is far too small to be able to see anything useful on without
having to zoom in and pan around, which means you lose the "bigger picture",
as it were, and it's hellish fiddly. Low-tech paper wins hands-down, and
has the added advantage that you can cross items off the list as you go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping list on.

Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and
hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then
you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

I'd cam-phone-photo the back of the door and refer to that in the shop -
simples.

Yeah right. Cosmic again. It's ergonomically very poor.

A phone screen is far too small to be able to see anything useful on without
having to zoom in and pan around, which means you lose the "bigger picture",
as it were, and it's hellish fiddly. Low-tech paper wins hands-down, and
has the added advantage that you can cross items off the list as you go.

Adopting your tone:

Yeah right. *if* you haven't run out of paper. *If* the pen is there and
works.

I *always* have my phone to hand

/snotty tone off

You see, people have opinions and just because they're not yours,
doesn't make them stupid...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping list on.

Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and
hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then
you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

I'd cam-phone-photo the back of the door and refer to that in the
shop - simples.

Yeah right. Cosmic again. It's ergonomically very poor.

A phone screen is far too small to be able to see anything useful on
without having to zoom in and pan around, which means you lose the
"bigger picture", as it were, and it's hellish fiddly. Low-tech
paper wins hands-down, and has the added advantage that you can cross
items off the list as you go.

Bit like the Space Pen compared to a pencil.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Bit like the Space Pen compared to a pencil.

The Space Pen that NASA didn't develop?
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
Normally, I 'ates snopes, but at least they have the right of it this
time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 1:14*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

* * * * I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.

wrong pen. go for ones meant for whiteboards

Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a
whiteboard pen.

It's the surface that's wrong. We had a recent off ice refit and all
the "white boards" had to be re-refitted as the supplier or contractor
had screwed up and tried to use what seemed like ordinary melamine.
White boartds are *much* smoother and shinier.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mick. wrote:
Hi all,
I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.
I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.

wrong pen. go for ones meant for whiteboards

Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a
whiteboard pen.

the bit where dry marker also means indelible ink marker pen for parcels
and the like.

It's the surface that's wrong. We had a recent off ice refit and all
the "white boards" had to be re-refitted as the supplier or contractor
had screwed up and tried to use what seemed like ordinary melamine.
White boartds are *much* smoother and shinier.

So buy a whiteboard and fit it inside the cupboard door, then,

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So buy a whiteboard and fit it inside the cupboard door, then,

MBQ

I once made a really good dry-wipe tablet out of a bit of ply covered
with sticky back plastic. It worked great with "nobo" type dry wipe pens
- which BTW you can get with small tips rather than blackboard grade
wide tips.

Probably could make a pretty good board for a cupboard door with some
artist's white "mount card" (the really heavy smooth thick stuff)
covered with said plastic.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2010 12:17, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.

Is there a type of paint I could use to get a better finish to use like
this?

Not sure about white board paint, but you can get black board paint
which you can write on with chalk if that is of any use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:

[...]

My tone was tongue in cheek and I apologise if it made you take offence.
But if you disagree with the substance of what I said, I respectfully
suggest that attacking my tone is a poor substitute for arguing in a
well-reasoned fashion with the views expressed.

It is my opinion that the idea of using a phone to photograph a shopping
list is stupid. I've explained why that is my opinion. It has nothing to
do with it not being my idea.

I take your point of not running out of paper, but I reckon the danger of
that is pretty low. Used envelopes are ideal for shopping lists, and they
tend to be in plentiful supply.

Your point about the pen being there and working is vacuous because it
applies just as much to the white board marker, if not more so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mick. wrote:
Hi all,
* * * * I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.
I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.
wrong pen. go for ones meant for whiteboards

Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a
whiteboard pen.

the bit where dry marker also means indelible ink marker pen for parcels
and the like.

Not relevant in the context of *white board* pens.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mick. wrote:
Hi all,
I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.
I bought a dry black marker pen and tried it, but it is not easily removed
and will end up a black mess.
wrong pen. go for ones meant for whiteboards

Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a
whiteboard pen.

the bit where dry marker also means indelible ink marker pen for parcels
and the like.

Not relevant in the context of *white board* pens.

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 6:25*pm, Gareth wrote:

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.

How many types of "dry" marker are there? Not by solvent, as I assume
there are many variations, but by function. What else does "dry"
marker ever mean except "suitable for dry wiping from whiteboards".
There is no other purpose for them. They're no use for writing on
anything else (even paper flip charts), nothing else is usabble on
whiteboards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 12:17*pm, "Mick." wrote:

* * * * I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

Fasten an A4 / A5 notepad in there, with an attached pen, and tear the
sheet off to take with you.

IMHE, in my search for whiteboard materials (which spans twenty years
of searching, even joining Buddhist monasteries in my search) there is
no substitute for a _real_ hard laminate whiteboard. Even the "toy"
whiteboards sold outside the commercial stationers (Ikea, etc) aren't
much use - they're OK for short use, but the ink bleeds into them and
shadows. If there's a way to make your own, I don't know it. You can
cover white board with stick-on clear plastic, which is about the best
substitute, but even that's not much good.

Also, there's no shortage of spare whiteboards. S/H or skip-diving
outside offices (two nice six-footers last year, and a A-frame
flipchart).

If you really want a whiteboard in there, get a real one and stick it
on. However it's hard to then take the list with you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2010 19:05, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Dec 5, 6:25 pm, Gareth wrote:

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.

How many types of "dry" marker are there?

Quite a few actually:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_d...kers.Staedtler

Which are not necessarily the same as whiteboard pens, for example:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_w...kers.Staedtler
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:

[...]

Ah.

May I recommend one of these: ;-

;-

No offence - and *I* should remember that tone carries poorly in a
written medium, so sorry from me too...

But if you disagree with the substance of what I said, I respectfully
suggest that attacking my tone is a poor substitute for arguing in a
well-reasoned fashion with the views expressed.

Sometimes the patience is a little thin.

It is my opinion that the idea of using a phone to photograph a shopping
list is stupid. I've explained why that is my opinion. It has nothing to
do with it not being my idea.

I think your opinion is fine, but it would be worth noting that it is a
very subjective opinion and blanket statements like "stupid" are best
reserved for statements which are more clear cut, like cutting Speedfit
with a hacksaw (there's a story there)

I take your point of not running out of paper, but I reckon the danger of
that is pretty low. Used envelopes are ideal for shopping lists, and they
tend to be in plentiful supply.

Your point about the pen being there and working is vacuous because it
applies just as much to the white board marker, if not more so.

In my house the probability of the pen or paper being nicked by the kids
or either running out but the discoverer forgetting to mention it (or,
heavens forbid, but more) is pretty high.

For me, I iPhone-cam lots of random things - lists, posters I want to
get the details off later, SKU codes in B&Q of products that might be
useful later - I do agree reading is hard work, but my eyes are good and
it's outweighed by the fact that for other reasons, I must always carry
a charged phone but seldom have paper or a pen to hand.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2010 5:35 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a
whiteboard pen.

the bit where dry marker also means indelible ink marker pen for parcels
and the like.

I've never come across them described as anything but permanent markers.

"dry" is usually used in conjunction with "wipe" to describe whiteboard
pens, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2010 7:10 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:
I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

Fasten an A4 / A5 notepad in there, with an attached pen, and tear the
sheet off to take with you.

I've now got a mental image of somebody wandering around the supermarket
trying to juggle an A0 flipchart sheet with their shopping list on...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 6, 7:39 am, Adrian wrote:
On 05/12/2010 7:10 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.

Fasten an A4 / A5 notepad in there, with an attached pen, and tear the
sheet off to take with you.

I've now got a mental image of somebody wandering around the supermarket
trying to juggle an A0 flipchart sheet with their shopping list on...

then loading it up with the shopping and sledging home?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 9:15*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
For me, I iPhone-cam lots of random things - lists, posters I want to
get the details off later, SKU codes in B&Q of products that might be
useful later - I do agree reading is hard work, but my eyes are good and
it's outweighed by the fact that for other reasons, I must always carry
a charged phone but seldom have paper or a pen to hand.

Glad to see I'm not the only one then. I upload them to Evernote so I
can get them on the PC as well, not to mention tag and search for
them.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 6:25 pm, Gareth wrote:

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.

How many types of "dry" marker are there? *

Quite a few actually:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_d...kers.Staedtler

OK, so Staedtler call Chinagraphs "dry markers". Yanks call them
"glass markers", so I guess why not.

So lets not use those then, clearly the wrong thing. Anyone really
think that's what TNP meant here?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2010 09:37, Jim K wrote:
On Dec 6, 7:39 am, wrote:
On 05/12/2010 7:10 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get" shopping
list on.
Fasten an A4 / A5 notepad in there, with an attached pen, and tear the
sheet off to take with you.

I've now got a mental image of somebody wandering around the supermarket
trying to juggle an A0 flipchart sheet with their shopping list on...

then loading it up with the shopping and sledging home?

Jim K

I'm surprised Tim can't suggest a type of felt tip pen that wipes off
anything with a damp cloth, particularly emulsioned walls. I mean, he
does have kids!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/10 12:09, stuart noble wrote:
On 06/12/2010 09:37, Jim K wrote:
On Dec 6, 7:39 am, wrote:
On 05/12/2010 7:10 PM, Andy Dingley wrote:

I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping
list on.
Fasten an A4 / A5 notepad in there, with an attached pen, and tear the
sheet off to take with you.

I've now got a mental image of somebody wandering around the supermarket
trying to juggle an A0 flipchart sheet with their shopping list on...

then loading it up with the shopping and sledging home?

Jim K

I'm surprised Tim can't suggest a type of felt tip pen that wipes off
anything with a damp cloth, particularly emulsioned walls. I mean, he
does have kids!

Their botties got trained not to do that a looong time ago.

BTW - nappie wipes get almost anything off emulsion...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 6:25 pm, Gareth wrote:

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.

How many types of "dry" marker are there? *

Quite a few actually:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_d...kers.Staedtler

Which are not necessarily the same as whiteboard pens,

Nothing like whiteboard pens FFS.

Where are the rest of your "quite a few"?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Bit like the Space Pen compared to a pencil.

The Space Pen that NASA didn't develop?

Yup. Never let the truth interfere with a good story :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 6:25 pm, Gareth wrote:

It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.

How many types of "dry" marker are there?

Quite a few actually:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_d...kers.Staedtler

Which are not necessarily the same as whiteboard pens, for example:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_w...kers.Staedtler

Yup. That ws what I ws tring to say

'dry' means 'solvent based' rather than 'water based' but that doesn't
tell you if once the solvent has gone, what's left is a powdery wipable
pigment, or a hard set resin that is ineradicable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 6:25 pm, Gareth wrote:
It could be very relevant if the OP has simply used the wrong type of
dry marker.
How many types of "dry" marker are there?

Quite a few actually:

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_d...kers.Staedtler

OK, so Staedtler call Chinagraphs "dry markers". Yanks call them
"glass markers", so I guess why not.

So lets not use those then, clearly the wrong thing. Anyone really
think that's what TNP meant here?

yes, that was exactly what I meant.

After many years in an odffice that used two types of 'dry marker' - one
for whiteboards and one for parcels and (moderately intelligent) people
were forever grabbing the wrong one out of the stationary cupboard..and
permanently wrecking the whiteboards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On 05/12/2010 5:35 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Which bit of "dry ... marker" are you struggling with? Thatr *is* a
whiteboard pen.

the bit where dry marker also means indelible ink marker pen for parcels
and the like.

I've never come across them described as anything but permanent markers.

"dry" is usually used in conjunction with "wipe" to describe whiteboard
pens, though.

To me dry was always 'fast drying' i.e. solvent based or 'dry' as in not
wet=not water based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 6, 6:08*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

After many years in an odffice that used two types of 'dry marker' - one
for whiteboards and one for parcels and (moderately intelligent) people
were forever grabbing the wrong one out of the stationary cupboard..and
permanently wrecking the whiteboards.

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

Nor have I yet seen a "permanently wrecked" whiteboard that didn't
respond to xylene or cyclohexane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After many years in an odffice that used two types of 'dry marker' - one
for whiteboards and one for parcels and (moderately intelligent) people
were forever grabbing the wrong one out of the stationary cupboard..and
permanently wrecking the whiteboards.

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

Nor have I yet seen a "permanently wrecked" whiteboard that didn't
respond to xylene or cyclohexane.

It got most of it off, but it was permanently stained.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After many years in an odffice that used two types of 'dry marker' - one
for whiteboards and one for parcels and (moderately intelligent) people
were forever grabbing the wrong one out of the stationary cupboard..and
permanently wrecking the whiteboards.

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

Nor have I yet seen a "permanently wrecked" whiteboard that didn't
respond to xylene or cyclohexane.

It got most of it off, but it was permanently stained.

an off-white board?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After many years in an odffice that used two types of 'dry marker' - one
for whiteboards and one for parcels and (moderately intelligent) people
were forever grabbing the wrong one out of the stationary cupboard..and
permanently wrecking the whiteboards.

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

I have seen chinagraph on a whiteboard.. it wipes off but can leave it waxy.

Everyone I know calls whiteboard pens dry wipe markers BTW.. you can wipe
them off using a dry wiper.

Nor have I yet seen a "permanently wrecked" whiteboard that didn't
respond to xylene or cyclohexane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all,
I ended up lamanating some white card ans sticking that on the inside
of the door!
It works ok.
Thanks,
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:14:58 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

Nor have I yet seen a "permanently wrecked" whiteboard that didn't
respond to xylene or cyclohexane.

Ha. A new whiteboard: "Oi, don't use that sponge, there's a special wiper thing
for it. I'll get it, OK?"

Two minutes later, it had been "cleaned" with the Scotch-Brite side of a sponge.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After many years in an odffice that used two types of 'dry marker' - one
for whiteboards and one for parcels and (moderately intelligent) people
were forever grabbing the wrong one out of the stationary cupboard..and
permanently wrecking the whiteboards.

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

Nor have I yet seen a "permanently wrecked" whiteboard that didn't
respond to xylene or cyclohexane.

Indeed. All our meeting rooms are equipped with a bottle for when
someone uses a flipchart marker on the whiteboard.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 6, 7:51*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I've worked with some monumentally stupid people over the years, but
I've never seen anyone take a Chinagraph to a whiteboard.

I have seen chinagraph on a whiteboard..

Nothing to add.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. wrote:
I had the bright idea of using the white of the inside of one of my
new kitchen wall cupboards, as a board to write my "need to get"
shopping list on.
Might it not be easier to put a hook on the inside of the door, and
hang said tatty bit of paper from it using a bulldog clip? Then
you can simply take the piece of paper with you.

I'd cam-phone-photo the back of the door and refer to that in the shop -
simples.

Yeah right. Cosmic again. It's ergonomically very poor.

A phone screen is far too small to be able to see anything useful on without
having to zoom in and pan around, which means you lose the "bigger picture",
as it were, and it's hellish fiddly. Low-tech paper wins hands-down, and
has the added advantage that you can cross items off the list as you go.

Nah. What he needs is an iPhone app that will photograph the door, do a
character recognition of what is written to produce a list, parse said
list and query the website of each local supermarket. Then tell the OP
where to go to get the best price for the whole basket. Then as the OP
shops he photographs the bar code on each product as he puts it in the
basket and crosses it off the list. Simples.