gandalf

Default Kitchen cupboard door fittings

"bigbrian" wrote in message
news:7e24050d871c2732850b5610fb3bc2ef@TeraNews...

With apologies for the amateur explanation.....

I've got a problem with a kitchen cupboard door. Its the one under the
oven, and its next to another cupboard that has a drawer above it. The
one I have a problem with has no drawer above it, but is the same
height as the adjacent cupboard and drawer combined.

Still with me?

In order that the door panelling wasn't out of synch, the cupboard
under the oven has a dummy drawer front (without a knob) built into
the top of the door, so that when you open the door, the door and the
dummy drawer front open together to reveal the inside of the cupboard.
The problem is that the dummy drawer front has detached itself from
the rest of the door.

It looks like it had been held on by a couple of metal pins fitted
into both the top of the door, and the bottom of the dummy drawer
front....these have both sheared offleaving the top of the
door..er...topless.

My next move is........?

Do what the manufactures did. What you have described can be achieved using
nails/brads of suitable size. Check what size the sheared ones are and get
similiar. You want them to go about 3/4 of an inch or so into both the door and
the dummy drawer and allow for the quarter inch cosmetic gap.

Get the nails. (Screwfix catalogue must have something suitable to give you an
idea) whack a couple into the door. Use something to hold the door from
underneath. (wood blocks, telephone directories or whatever) Then cut the heads
off the nails at an angle. Get a piece of wood, or something suitable, that is a
quarter inch thick. Put that between your now headless nails and then whack the
dummy drawer onto them.

gandalf

"gandalf" wrote in message

"bigbrian" wrote in message
> [...]

whack a couple into the door.

It seemed obvious at the time, but it does need some clarification. Don't whack
them all the way in. You want about an inch left standing so you have something
to attach the dummy drawer to and allow for the gap.

BigWallop

"bigbrian" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks

Brian

Hi BigBrian,

Pick up a bit of 6 mm plywood, about the width of the door and about 100 mm
wide itself. Some PVA waterproof wood glue, and 6 by 12 mm gauge 6 wood
screws.

Undo the door off the side panel of the cupboard and lay it on the floor
face down on something that will not scratch it. Lay the drawer front above
as though they were fitted together. Leave a little gap between them like
the other cupboards in the kitchen, and take a measure for your plywood.
The ply should be about 30 mm in from each edge of the door / drawer to let
it close properly into the cupboard. The ply should be able to go at least
50 mm over the door and drawer front.

Put some glue along the edges that are going together, get them the right
way right round, and spread the glue out until it covers the area that the
ply will cover. Allow the glue to go a bit tacky.

Starting with the drawer front. Lay the ply along the edge evenly so it
sticks over enough to allow you to fit it to the door. Put a screw in the
middle of the bit that's on the drawer front and screw it in.

Now get the door. Slide it under the ply and line it up with drawer front,
remember to leave the little gap, press it down onto the glue and get a
screw through it in the middle like the drawer front. This lets you move
them about a bit to make sure the gap even along its length.

Once your happy with it being lined up, put the rest of your screws in
either end of ply through to the door and drawer front.

When this is done, leave to dry over night and in the morning you won't know
they'd ever been apart. No massive gaps between them. Nothing visible from
the front, apart from the drawer and door, and once fixed back into place on
the cupboard. Jobs done. :-))

It's a lot easier than trying to find metal plates and it's a whole lot
cheaper.

Good Luck with it.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

The Natural Philosopher

bigbrian wrote:

[...]

Fishplates on the back.

Thanks

Brian

bigbrian wrote:
In order that the door panelling wasn't out of synch, the cupboard
under the oven has a dummy drawer front (without a knob) built into
the top of the door, so that when you open the door, the door and the
dummy drawer front open together to reveal the inside of the cupboard.
The problem is that the dummy drawer front has detached itself from
the rest of the door.

It's the ultimate triumph of form over function to my mind this
mindless requirement to maintain the 'drawer line'. Even more stupid
is where they fit non-functional knobs to the dummy drawer and as a
result it gets pulled off!

It looks like it had been held on by a couple of metal pins fitted
into both the top of the door, and the bottom of the dummy drawer
front....these have both sheared offleaving the top of the
door..er...topless.

My next move is........?

A couple of plates screwed on from the back?

--
Chris Green )
jerrybuilt

gandalf wrote:
"bigbrian" wrote
The problem is that the dummy drawer front has detached itself
from the rest of the door.

It looks like it had been held on by a couple of metal pins
fitted into both the top of the door, and the bottom of the
dummy drawer front....these have both sheared offleaving the
top of the door..er...topless.

My next move is........?

Get the nails. (Screwfix catalogue must have something suitable
to give you an idea) whack a couple into the door. Use something
to hold the door from underneath. (wood blocks, telephone
directories or whatever) Then cut the heads off the nails at an
angle. Get a piece of wood, or something suitable, that is a
quarter inch thick. Put that between your now headless nails
and then whack the dummy drawer onto them.

'kinell. What sort of material is the door made from? If it's
natural timber, that might split it. If it's chipboard, it might
distort the surface. If you can't get the originals out and replace
them, you could drill out in a suitable place adjacent to the
original pins, and fit more there. If your drilling isn't exactly
accurate, make one side should be a tight fit on the pins, the
other oversize (diameter) - press the pins into the "tight" side,
put gap filling adhesive such as car body filler into the over-
size holes, put the thing back together (on a flat surface) PDQ
and peel off excess filler at the "rubbery" stage.

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Michael McNeil

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"bigbrian" wrote in message

[...]

wide itself. Some glue, and 6 by 12 mm gauge 6 wood
screws.

Nothing visible from
the front, apart from the drawer and door, and once fixed back into place on
the cupboard. Jobs done. :-))

It's a lot easier than trying to find metal plates and it's a whole lot
cheaper.

I take it that the doors are not returnable? And you have looked at
the dowels holding them and they are irreplacable?

One more thing is paint a black line to overlap both doors so that the
closed door will appear to have a shadow between them. I think you
will have a job glueing melamine with pva. If it fails, scrape it off
and try some superglue.

If that fails.....
Roger Mills

bigbrian wrote in message
On 4 Jul 2003 10:32:08 -0700, (Michael
McNeil) wrote:

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"bigbrian" wrote in message

[...]

I think I'm going to go with the metal backplate option and not worry
about whether its visible through the gap

Brian

Why not replace the original metal pins with something a bit more
substantial - such as 5mm steel rods. [You could use a filing tray
separator, sawn in half]. They needn't be in exactly the same place if you
can't get the sheared bits out.

Simply drill a couple of 5mm holes (or whatever size the rods are) downwards
into the top edge of the door - and a corresponding pair upwards into the
bottom edge of the dummy drawer. If you have still got the original plastic
spacer washers, drill them out to 5mm too, then re-assemble the whole thing,
with the ends of the steel rods araldited into the holes.

Roger

P.S. If necessary, ask Sasha Klamp to hold it all together while the glue
sets g.

PM

"bigbrian" wrote in message

There's a quarter inch gap built into the design between the top and
the bottom sections (don't ask me why) so anything I fix to the back
of the two sections will show through the gap. Its not a problem for
*me*, you understand, but....well....

Brian

But it must have shown before?

Sure, the gap was showing before (its intended to, since the two parts
were deliberately spaced using plastic washers on the metal pins to
keep the parts apart), but there was nothing behind it before. If I
fix something to the back of the door to hold the two pieces together,
it will show through the gap.

Brian

How about dowel screws?

Pete

bigbrian

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:14:09 +0100, "PM"
wrote:

"bigbrian" wrote in message
news:88eb9934ac9858d36f14265f4634024f@TeraNews. ..

There's a quarter inch gap built into the design between the top and
the bottom sections (don't ask me why) so anything I fix to the back
of the two sections will show through the gap. Its not a problem for
*me*, you understand, but....well....

Brian

But it must have shown before?

Sure, the gap was showing before (its intended to, since the two parts
were deliberately spaced using plastic washers on the metal pins to
keep the parts apart), but there was nothing behind it before. If I
fix something to the back of the door to hold the two pieces together,
it will show through the gap.

Brian

How about dowel screws?

Nice idea, thanks. As it happens, I attacked it over the weekend by
fitting a couple of metal plates to the back of the door

Brian