Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Walnut veneered board for bathroom cupboard?

Hi.

I have created a full-room-height cupboard in my bathroom, at one end
of the bath. The stud wall of this cupboard houses the pipework for
the bath shower valve. The rest of the cupboard will be shelved to
house towels etc.

It's a standard 3x2" carcassed cupboard and rather than line it with
MDF, to be painted, I want to line it with a Walnut Veneered MDF with
a door to match.

However, I am conscious about making it water resistant, being in a
moisture ridden environment and obviously want to avoid the veneer
peeling in the future, plus any edging strips I have put on the edges.

Can anyone recommend a veneered board product that may be suitable for
bathrooms and what I could do with the door, which will obviously have
more exposed edges than the rest of the cupboard... the unit will have
a single full height door to the front.

Any advice would be great.
Many thanks
Dean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 8:06*am, deano wrote:
[...]

Veneer and bathroom not a great combination. Veneer and anywhere not
the best really.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 08:33, NT wrote:

[...]

Is there an engineered board, with thicker outer layers to the core?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

deano wrote:
[...]

Dont worry. Just give it some coating or other - outside grade wood
treatment is good - and it will be fine.

The modern veneered MDF diesnt use any sort of water affected glue: your
bigger problem would be using MDF at all, since it swells and falls
apart when wet, but I have used it extensively in bathrooms with no
issues. The real requirement is enough heat and ventilation to not get
condensation. A splash is OK. persistent damp is not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

deano wrote:

Can anyone recommend a veneered board product that may be suitable for
bathrooms

Veneered "marine" ply (some more marine than others :-) ) is used for
boat interiors and should be up to the job I'd have thought. Robbins
Timber in Bristol is a well-known source.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
deano wrote:

Can anyone recommend a veneered board product that may be suitable for
bathrooms

Veneered "marine" ply (some more marine than others :-) ) is used for
boat interiors and should be up to the job I'd have thought. Robbins
Timber in Bristol is a well-known source.

Pete

Yep., you should be able to sail your bathroom round cape horn in a
force 9 and not have it delaminate.

For those who prefer to stay at home, stick to MDF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 10:46, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
deano wrote:
[...]

Thanks NP... some common sense!

I originally thought this would pose no problems, but some of my peers
(down the pub) began to sow the seeds of doubt in me...
"You don't wanna be doing that" kind of comments... I should have
remained stoic!

Can you recommend a coating that would do the job?... few coats as
possible and one that retains the natural grain of the veneer!

The built-in in question is well out of the way of anything but the
merest splashes and I have fitted a decent sized towel rail and a
humidstat in the room, I suppose it would also be useful to have an
idea of the best way to adhere edging strip around the full-height
door to the cupboard.

Thanks for following this thread.

d.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
deano wrote:
[...]

there's plenty of water based acrylics that are actually pretty good, or
if you really want to go colorful, check out some of the ronseal
exterior products.

Cant remember what I used. Might have been sikkens exterior. Anyway it
works well enough. Two or three coats rubbed down between.

The built-in in question is well out of the way of anything but the
merest splashes and I have fitted a decent sized towel rail and a
humidstat in the room, I suppose it would also be useful to have an
idea of the best way to adhere edging strip around the full-height
door to the cupboard.

ah. Probably evo stick if its not iron on.

Thanks for following this thread.

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
deano wrote:
[...]

TNP...

Cupboard now built. In Walnut veneered MDF. Sealed with satin acrylic
varnish, 3 coats, rubbed down between.
Looks lovely. Client happy, so am I.
Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

deano wrote:
On 28 Feb, 18:54, The Natural Philosopher

TNP...

Cupboard now built. In Walnut veneered MDF. Sealed with satin acrylic
varnish, 3 coats, rubbed down between.
Looks lovely. Client happy, so am I.
Thanks.

Good.My wife's only complaint about the oak veneered MDF mixed with the
real oak is 'it looks too perfect'.. its not quite 'natural''

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Mar, 12:33, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
deano wrote:
On 28 Feb, 18:54, The Natural Philosopher

TNP...

Cupboard now built. In Walnut veneered MDF. Sealed with satin acrylic
varnish, 3 coats, rubbed down between.
Looks lovely. Client happy, so am I.
Thanks.

Good.My wife's only complaint about the oak veneered MDF mixed with the
real oak is 'it looks too perfect'.. its not quite 'natural''

When it comes to wives... there's always a complaint ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
deano wrote:
On 28 Feb, 18:54, The Natural Philosopher

TNP...

Cupboard now built. In Walnut veneered MDF. Sealed with satin acrylic
varnish, 3 coats, rubbed down between.
Looks lovely. Client happy, so am I.
Thanks.

Good.My wife's only complaint about the oak veneered MDF mixed with the
real oak is 'it looks too perfect'.. its not quite 'natural''

When it comes to wives... there's always a complaint ;-)

Yup - 99.9% right=100% wrong.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

FS: Walnut skirting board Slider UK diy 0 November 3rd 08 04:39 PM
butt-joints to veneered board Peter Lynch Woodworking 3 December 6th 07 12:08 AM
VENEERED CHESS BOARD J T Woodworking 0 August 24th 06 04:40 AM
VENEERED CHESS BOARD J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 05 05:07 AM
Finishing A Veneered Chess Board Sam Berlyn Woodworking 0 December 10th 04 07:11 AM