Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH leaks

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots, they know the likely
causes, and indeed we have been working to eliminate them one by
one. The trouble is we are approaching the point that serious damage
will have to be done to the flooring to pin point the leak and
repair it. There is some insurance coverage for tracing and repair
but there will be a lot of disruption to carry out the work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/11/2016 17:45, mechanic wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 16:17:44 +0000, GB wrote:

Half a meter is a bit of a squeeze, but you may be able to crawl
under there to take a look.

I exaggerated - it's really about 300mm. We have air bricks in the
walls for ventilation - maybe the BG fibre optic probe thingie may
spot a pool of water.

It's unlikely to be a pool of water. Certainly not if you are on sandy
soil. Even on clay, depending on what's mixed in, there's a good chance
the water will sink in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/11/2016 10:37, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots, they know the likely
causes, and indeed we have been working to eliminate them one by
one. The trouble is we are approaching the point that serious damage
will have to be done to the flooring to pin point the leak and
repair it. There is some insurance coverage for tracing and repair
but there will be a lot of disruption to carry out the work.

I really strongly suggest that you get your own USB cam. You have the
most incentive to solve this issue without damage to the floors.
Something like this, for £20.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-Wat.../dp/B015CM7VNE

It's worth taking out a couple of airbricks, if you need to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 10:37, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots.

Some are. Like one who got the CH pump in the wrong way round.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 11:41, GB wrote:
[...]

I got a usb camera with a 10metre cable from ebay, about a tenner iirc,
it has been very useful and would probably be helpful in the OP case as
it could be taped to a long rod and put though a pretty small hole,
even if it just eliminated some areas it would help a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:55:53 -0000, The Natural Philosopher

When this happened to a mates boiler, it was simply the pressure vessel
needed pumping up.

Ah the wonders of the traditional gravity fed top up tank.... If I lose
a bit of water I simply don't give a damn!

You will when the system corrodes away due to fresh O2 entering it all
the time, and dry rot eats your house with the constant supply of water
to feed it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 02:48:19 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:55:53 -0000, The Natural Philosopher

When this happened to a mates boiler, it was simply the pressure vessel
needed pumping up.

Ah the wonders of the traditional gravity fed top up tank.... If I lose
a bit of water I simply don't give a damn!

You will when the system corrodes away due to fresh O2 entering it all
the time, and dry rot eats your house with the constant supply of water
to feed it.

In 16 years I've had precisely one dripping tap and one failed thermocouple. With no servicing.

--
It is impossible to hold a sandwich between your elbows and eat it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots, they know the likely
causes, and indeed we have been working to eliminate them one by
one. The trouble is we are approaching the point that serious damage
will have to be done to the flooring to pin point the leak and
repair it. There is some insurance coverage for tracing and repair
but there will be a lot of disruption to carry out the work.

I suppose it would not be possible to bypass the suspect pipes by a
separate, but permanent and cosmetically acceptable, route? Say via a
different room, or a ceiling?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:

On 28/11/2016 10:37, mechanic wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots.

Some are. Like one who got the CH pump in the wrong way round.

Easy to do. My combi boiler pumps water downwards, which is not good
for the pumps. Reversing the pump was especially unsuccessful because
of the non-return valve en route. It may have been a bad idea for other
reasons, but I will never know.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 02:48:19 -0000, John Rumm

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:55:53 -0000, The Natural Philosopher

When this happened to a mates boiler, it was simply the pressure vessel
needed pumping up.

Ah the wonders of the traditional gravity fed top up tank.... If I lose
a bit of water I simply don't give a damn!

You will when the system corrodes away due to fresh O2 entering it all
the time, and dry rot eats your house with the constant supply of water
to feed it.

In 16 years I've had precisely one dripping tap and one failed
thermocouple. With no servicing.

By the sounds of it, the OPs system could be losing several litres of
water a day. That means within a couple of months there will be no
active inhibitor left in the system, and it will be continuously
refilled with fresh oxygenated water. That quantity of water is also
possibly being lost the fabric of the building somewhere.

Now what has you pointless comment got to do with any of that?

Gravity fed or sealed system, its problem that needs fixing not
ignoring. (fortunately its much herder to ignore with a sealed system).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2016 20:26, Roger Hayter wrote:
mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots, they know the likely
causes, and indeed we have been working to eliminate them one by
one. The trouble is we are approaching the point that serious damage
will have to be done to the flooring to pin point the leak and
repair it. There is some insurance coverage for tracing and repair
but there will be a lot of disruption to carry out the work.

I suppose it would not be possible to bypass the suspect pipes by a
separate, but permanent and cosmetically acceptable, route? Say via a
different room, or a ceiling?

Yup, there is a lot to be said for gaining access via ceilings rather
than via floors - often cheaper and easier to fix.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 22:22:00 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Yup, there is a lot to be said for gaining access via ceilings
rather than via floors - often cheaper and easier to fix.

Unfortunately here in Cumbria anything in the roof is liable to
freeze during a severe cold spell. That's why I moved to a
pressurised system in the first place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 22:20:25 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

A small leak doesn't bother a normal system. It also lets air out.

--
Black.... like the clouds of death that follow me into the forest of doom and hide in the wardrobe of darkness! Blaaaackk!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2016 22:28, mechanic wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 22:22:00 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Yup, there is a lot to be said for gaining access via ceilings
rather than via floors - often cheaper and easier to fix.

Unfortunately here in Cumbria anything in the roof is liable to
freeze during a severe cold spell. That's why I moved to a
pressurised system in the first place.

I fitted the boiler and hot water tank in the loft, keeps the chill off
up there and frees up room elsewhere in the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you think a couple of litres a day is a small leak, you might
possibly be more clueless than I first thought.

Now that is an achievement!

Help yourself to the last word...
--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I'm surprised you typed to the stupid ******* in the first place, John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 17:38:53 UTC, mechanic wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 16:13:52 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

The pressure relief pipe would be the most likely, if your loss is from
the condensate pipe then the boiler heat exchanger has gone, in which
case it is probably time for a new boiler.

No drips from the condensation pipe over six hours or so, during
which the pressure dropped by about one bar. Our British Gas
'engineer' suggested this to rule out the heat exchanger (apparently
no spares of this model now available).

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely different things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 01:10, bm wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yup, sorry the last reply was gratuitous!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the boiler is
running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 17:51:34 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the boiler is
running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

--
He saw her in her birthday suit swimming by the pier
She said, "Please go away," but he pretended not to hear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

Get a grip!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

It is here, and has been for the last 3 nights.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

Get a grip!

I've seen a couple of frosts.

--
During last night's high winds an African family was killed by a falling tree.
A spokesman for the Birmingham City council said, "We didn't even know they were living up there".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two
entirely different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

It is here, and has been for the last 3 nights.

It takes a lot to freeze up a condense pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:36:04 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

charles wrote:
wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two
entirely different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

It is here, and has been for the last 3 nights.

It takes a lot to freeze up a condense pipe.

If something is heated UP, it should be frozen DOWN :-)

--
She was as easy as the Daily Star crossword.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:36:04 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
charles wrote:
wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two
entirely different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler
is running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

It is here, and has been for the last 3 nights.

It takes a lot to freeze up a condense pipe.

If something is heated UP, it should be frozen DOWN :-)

FFS!
I'm sure that the OP will take note of your helpful comment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 19:24:31 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:36:04 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
charles wrote:
wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two
entirely different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler
is running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running.
Are you sure that it is not blocked or something?

Some twit could have installed it outside where it freezes.

It's not yet cold enough for that.

It is here, and has been for the last 3 nights.

It takes a lot to freeze up a condense pipe.

If something is heated UP, it should be frozen DOWN :-)

FFS!
I'm sure that the OP will take note of your helpful comment.

Well you cool down.....

--
My neighbour asked if he could use my lawnmower. I told him of course he could, so long as he didn't take it out of my garden. -- Eric Morecambe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 17:51:34 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running. Are you sure that it is not blocked or
something?

We had that years ago when the condensate pipe froze, the water
backed up into the combustion 'chamber' and killed the burner. Not
happening here. Anyway these litres of refill water have to be going
somewhere and the boiler seems dry.
The search continues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running. Are you sure that it is not blocked or
something?

We had that years ago when the condensate pipe froze, the water
backed up into the combustion 'chamber' and killed the burner. Not
happening here. Anyway these litres of refill water have to be going
somewhere and the boiler seems dry.
The search continues.

Your neighbour tapped into one of the radiator pipes for free heating, and THEY have a leak somewhere :-)

--
Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/11/2016 17:17, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 00:59:27 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The pressure relief pipe and the condensate pipe are two entirely
different things.

Yes, got that Harry, in this case neither seems to be leaking
water.

there should be something coming out of one if/when the boiler is
running.

There has to be water coming out of the condense pipe when the
boiler is running. Are you sure that it is not blocked or
something?

We had that years ago when the condensate pipe froze, the water
backed up into the combustion 'chamber' and killed the burner. Not
happening here. Anyway these litres of refill water have to be going
somewhere and the boiler seems dry.
The search continues.

Yes okay and all of that.
But, have you even looked at the condense pipe?
There Really should be water coming out of it.
If you have not taken the time to look, then never mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

Modern fancy rubbish, bound to go wrong. My boiler does not have the need to condense. Why do people spend £1000s on a fancy boiler to save them £100s on gas?

--
John Montagu: "Sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox."
Samuel Foote: "That will depend my lord, on whether I embrace your lordship's principles or your mistress."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

Because they don't have a choice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

Nobody forces you to buy a new boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 15:37, mechanic wrote:
apparently the boiler is now too old to have full parts support

BG have a reputation for saying that... you may like to check elsewhere.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:26:47 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 01:26:40 -0800 (PST), David wrote:

I agree entirely. From the sound of it, though, the OP (and
British Gas) are well on the way to eliminating the likely
scenarios, so I thought I'd chip in with something more unlikely

That's exactly right. BG are not idiots, they know the likely
causes, and indeed we have been working to eliminate them one by
one. The trouble is we are approaching the point that serious damage
will have to be done to the flooring to pin point the leak and
repair it. There is some insurance coverage for tracing and repair
but there will be a lot of disruption to carry out the work.

I suppose it would not be possible to bypass the suspect pipes by a
separate, but permanent and cosmetically acceptable, route? Say via a
different room, or a ceiling?

As an update to the story - using a leak tracing company we found
the leak was in a radiator feed pipe in the bathroom. Fortunately
plain sheet vinyl flooring there so simple to get to the pipes. The
feed included a push-fit joint situated under one of the walls.
Using the company's camera you could see the drips from the joint!
They have a useful acoustic detector thing too - impressive
swooshing noises on pipes near the fault.

Many thanks for everyone's thoughts, and the many helpful
suggestions that helped our thinking on possible ways forward.

Plumbing now in progress to repair fault.

Gas leaks and gas leaks and gas leaks Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 11 November 25th 14 11:20 AM
Air leaks Michael Koblic[_2_] Metalworking 9 September 8th 10 11:44 PM
Water Leaks nntp.fuse.net Home Repair 2 November 28th 07 05:45 PM
Roof Leaks Deck Leaks HELP Michael Roback Home Ownership 0 October 10th 05 02:55 AM
Loft leaks Kaplan UK diy 2 January 9th 05 01:20 PM