Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air leaks

Since I started buying accessories for my compressor I have been noticing
that many leak. The last two were an air filter and a new hose. The filter
leaks just below the housing. The hose leaks at both ends at the connectors.
I should stress these are not leaks produced by myself through adding
connector hardware (all that is done with generous use of Teflon tape - no
leaks there!).

Admittedly the leaks are very small and detectable only with soapy water.
E.g. the two hose leaks did not drop the pressure in the 4 gallon tank
significantly over 3 hours.

I cannot imagine that leaks of that magnitude in a compressed air system
matter all that much (Propane, different story...:-). I am however puzzled
as to how common these occurrences are and how acceptable they are
considered by others. Are there differences in manufacturers?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/30/2010 1:42 PM, Michael Koblic wrote:
Since I started buying accessories for my compressor I have been
noticing that many leak. The last two were an air filter and a new hose.
The filter leaks just below the housing. The hose leaks at both ends at
the connectors. I should stress these are not leaks produced by myself
through adding connector hardware (all that is done with generous use of
Teflon tape - no leaks there!).

Admittedly the leaks are very small and detectable only with soapy
water. E.g. the two hose leaks did not drop the pressure in the 4 gallon
tank significantly over 3 hours.

I cannot imagine that leaks of that magnitude in a compressed air system
matter all that much (Propane, different story...:-). I am however
puzzled as to how common these occurrences are and how acceptable they
are considered by others. Are there differences in manufacturers?

Im assuming you are refering to the quick action air couplings.
I reckon as far as fittings go you get what you pay for ,cheap copies
of the more famous brands would probably not seal as good , I don't
really know .I have always used the brass Jamec type because of thier
smaller size , but industry here seems to changing over to the Nitto type.
Leaks just add wear and tear to your compressor ,as they cause your
compressor to cycle more often ,using more power or fuel .
In a large system like in a factory where they have large compressors
and every tool is airpowered leaks can cost a lot of money over a year.
I saw a system on an inventors tv show where a guy has invented a system
where the exhaust from air powerd tools is fed back into the compressor
, reducing noise and recycling the air.
I dont know how far he is down the track getting it developed , but I
would imagine it could be very cost effective over a period of time.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kevin(Bluey)"
I saw a system on an inventors tv show where a guy has
invented a system where the exhaust from air powered tools
is fed back into the compressor , reducing noise and
recycling the air.
I dont know how far he is down the track getting it
developed , but I would imagine it could be very cost
effective over a period of time.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

ROTFLMAO !!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Rule #1: don't buy anything that has to hold pressure from H-F.
Stay as far as you can from that blue compressor hose they sell: I've had
one burst at 70psi. Get good brand stuff: for quick-connect fittings Amflo
is my fave but I'm sure there are others.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A human without a critter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is incomplete..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:00:19 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Kevin(Bluey)"
I saw a system on an inventors tv show where a guy has
invented a system where the exhaust from air powered tools
is fed back into the compressor , reducing noise and
recycling the air.
I dont know how far he is down the track getting it
developed , but I would imagine it could be very cost
effective over a period of time.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

ROTFLMAO !!!

Hey Phil,

I sort of wondered if there was going to be an "As Seen On TV"
tag-line coming too.

On the other hand, exhaust from other sources gets "used" for power
and re-supply, so why not?!?! Exhaust turbo-chargers, exhaust
steam-injectors, etc.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:00:19 -0400,

"Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Kevin(Bluey)"
[...]

Move your wallet from your back pocket to a front
pocket....;)) phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-30, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:00:19 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Kevin(Bluey)"
I saw a system on an inventors tv show where a guy has
invented a system where the exhaust from air powered tools
is fed back into the compressor , reducing noise and
recycling the air.
I dont know how far he is down the track getting it
developed , but I would imagine it could be very cost
effective over a period of time.

ROTFLMAO !!!

Hey Phil,

I sort of wondered if there was going to be an "As Seen On TV"
tag-line coming too.

On the other hand, exhaust from other sources gets "used" for power
and re-supply, so why not?!?! Exhaust turbo-chargers, exhaust
steam-injectors, etc.

Recycling exhaust from power tools would not save energy, but it could
help keeping shop air cleaner and oil-free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 10:18*am, steamer wrote:
* * * * --Rule #1: don't buy anything that has to hold pressure from H-F.
Stay as far as you can from that blue compressor hose they sell: I've had
one burst at 70psi. Get good brand stuff: for quick-connect fittings Amflo
is my fave but I'm sure there are others.

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *A human without a critter *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *is incomplete..
* * * * * * * * * * * * *www.nmpproducts.com
* * * * * * * * * *---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

I've not had one burst, it's done a pretty good imitation of a coil
spring in cooler(40 degree) weather, though. The black rubber
Goodyear hose is good on sale, works at any temp. Same with the Amflo
fittings they sell in bulk. Stay far away from those bubble-packed
brass ends if you don't want leaks. All those quick-connects need
periodic testing, anyway. Rubber seals only last so long.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:12:24 -0700, Michael Koblic wrote:

Since I started buying accessories for my compressor I have been noticing
that many leak. The last two were an air filter and a new hose. The filter
leaks just below the housing. The hose leaks at both ends at the connectors.
I should stress these are not leaks produced by myself through adding
connector hardware (all that is done with generous use of Teflon tape - no
leaks there!).

Admittedly the leaks are very small and detectable only with soapy water.
E.g. the two hose leaks did not drop the pressure in the 4 gallon tank
significantly over 3 hours.

I cannot imagine that leaks of that magnitude in a compressed air system
matter all that much (Propane, different story...:-). I am however puzzled
as to how common these occurrences are and how acceptable they are
considered by others. Are there differences in manufacturers?

I sit in a factory, where they have air pipes throughout the shop. I
noticed that the compressor keeps coming on, even if nobody's using any
air. I asked, "Do you suppose there's a leak in all that pluming?" (It's
routed along the ceining, 20' high). They said, no, the pipes have been
thoroughly tested; it's the compressor seals themselves that are leaking.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-08, Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

I heard about an invention called "check valve". It might help!

water leaks Marvin Murr Home Repair 3 January 26th 08 12:44 AM
Water Leaks nntp.fuse.net Home Repair 2 November 28th 07 05:45 PM
Roof Leaks Deck Leaks HELP Michael Roback Home Ownership 0 October 10th 05 02:55 AM
Siding leaks! toller Home Repair 2 May 18th 05 03:02 PM
Baumatic Gas Leaks Adam Aglionby UK diy 7 August 8th 04 09:59 AM