Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Air leaks

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:12:24 -0700, Michael Koblic wrote:

Since I started buying accessories for my compressor I have been noticing
that many leak. The last two were an air filter and a new hose. The filter
leaks just below the housing. The hose leaks at both ends at the connectors.
I should stress these are not leaks produced by myself through adding
connector hardware (all that is done with generous use of Teflon tape - no
leaks there!).

Admittedly the leaks are very small and detectable only with soapy water.
E.g. the two hose leaks did not drop the pressure in the 4 gallon tank
significantly over 3 hours.

I cannot imagine that leaks of that magnitude in a compressed air system
matter all that much (Propane, different story...:-). I am however puzzled
as to how common these occurrences are and how acceptable they are
considered by others. Are there differences in manufacturers?

I sit in a factory, where they have air pipes throughout the shop. I
noticed that the compressor keeps coming on, even if nobody's using any
air. I asked, "Do you suppose there's a leak in all that pluming?" (It's
routed along the ceining, 20' high). They said, no, the pipes have been
thoroughly tested; it's the compressor seals themselves that are leaking.

Hope This Helps!
Rich