Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's it called?

The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

Commercially, the G9 capsule - used in table lamps, etc. - has bent over
wire terminals. There are LED versions of the G9 available. Of course,
whether one of these will fit in the space available is anybody's guess.
You might have to make your own.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 08:50, harry wrote:
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

They are called capless wedge bulbs, usually 1.2w No idea about led
replacements, but they last a long time anyway, is it worth it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

heritage = old banger...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes there are garden lights like this and I've yet to find an led version as
they need to be quite a wide beam width not to look damned silly.

I personally hate thus bulbs as any vibration and they work loose or corrode
with any moisture.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
harry wrote:
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from
a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

Commercially, the G9 capsule - used in table lamps, etc. - has bent over
wire terminals. There are LED versions of the G9 available. Of course,
whether one of these will fit in the space available is anybody's guess.
You might have to make your own.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 09:03:19 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

They are called capless wedge bulbs, usually 1.2w No idea about led
replacements, but they last a long time anyway, is it worth it?

Trouble with LEDs is they need some form of current limiting. This could
be something as simple as a 1k resistor in series. So it's certainly do-
able.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 09:03, MrCheerful wrote:
On 27/11/2016 08:50, harry wrote:
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge
from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

They are called capless wedge bulbs, usually 1.2w No idea about led
replacements, but they last a long time anyway, is it worth it?

I have some in my old van. From the cheery reddish glow I guess they're
under-run, hence they last a long time.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 08:59:07 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

Commercially, the G9 capsule - used in table lamps, etc. - has bent over
wire terminals. There are LED versions of the G9 available. Of course,
whether one of these will fit in the space available is anybody's guess.
You might have to make your own.

Are you sure that it's the G9? I've fitted only one G9 and that had stiff
contacts, rather like solder tags.
ISTR that somewhere around G4 looks a bit flimbly.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 09:11:38 UTC, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote:
heritage = old banger...tee hee

Or valuable investment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 09:03:22 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 27/11/2016 08:50, harry wrote:
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones.
They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

They are called capless wedge bulbs, usually 1.2w No idea about led
replacements, but they last a long time anyway, is it worth it?

Yup, that looks like the one.
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 09:11:32 +0000, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote:

heritage = old banger...tee hee

You are Billy Bunter AICMFP! ("tee hee" indeed!).

--
Johnny B Good