Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cashless society?

Went to Waitrose yesterday and used coupons to get £80 off, but when the cashier was ready for the cards it rejected all three due to a faulty reader, so I had to go outside and get £140 in real money €“ so much for a cashless society.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

Went to Waitrose yesterday and used coupons to
get £80 off, but when the cashier was ready for the
cards it rejected all three due to a faulty reader,

If you had had even half a clue you would have got the whole transaction
cancelled, and used another checkout with a non faulty checkout.

so I had to go outside and get £140 in real money

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

€“ so much for a cashless society.

Its there now, you're just too stupid to use it.

I only use cash in 3 places now, just the one fruit and veg place that
happens to be the cheapest in town that will only accept cards for
transactions over $10, the farmers market and garage/yard sales.

While you can pay to anyone's mobile phone number now, its just
not worth the hassle to convince people that that works when there
is a queue of people paying for stuff at a garage/yard/boot sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 04:53:25 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

I waved two cards at it, but it just went Back to Go.

http://bit.ly/2fmKm2s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

I waved two cards at it, but it just went Back to Go.

http://bit.ly/2fmKm2s

You must have ****ed up, again.

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently
due to a combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

If I tried waving my superb nokia 1100 ( better than ant smartphone ) would
it work? ...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 04:53:25 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

I waved two cards at it, but it just went Back to Go.

http://bit.ly/2fmKm2s

no wonder your card has expired ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Think what it must have been like in central London during the power cut the
other day.

Neither method would have worked there would they?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Went to Waitrose yesterday and used coupons to get £80 off, but when the
cashier was ready for the cards it rejected all three due to a faulty
reader, so I had to go outside and get £140 in real money - so much for a
cashless society.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Think what it must have been like in central London during the power cut
the other day.

Neither method would have worked there would they?
Brian

no coffee!...how would they all survive? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Think what it must have been like in central London during the power
cut the other day.

Neither method would have worked there would they?
Brian

no coffee!...how would they all survive? ......

we very nearly didn't in 1964 at TVC when the power went off. The beer was
warm!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:53:16 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

I've noticed the stupidest people typically have the smartest phones.
Smarter than they are in fact.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

....until of course there's a glitch with that, too.
Give me cash; it never lets me down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:12:03 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently due to a
combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Would a lot simpler and quicker to just use cash in the first place then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 10:20, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Think what it must have been like in central London during the power cut
the other day.

Neither method would have worked there would they?
Brian

no coffee!...how would they all survive? ......

Spare a thought for 1.6 billion Indians (of which only
1.6% actually pay income tax).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 11:27:46 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:12:03 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently due to a
combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Would a lot simpler and quicker to just use cash in the first place then!

I had £100 on me anyway, but the bill was for £145.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/11/2016 11:25, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 15:53:16 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

I've noticed the stupidest people typically have the smartest phones.
Smarter than they are in fact.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

...until of course there's a glitch with that, too.
Give me cash; it never lets me down.

Never underestimate the stupid when using cash.

There are a couple of posters here who could not get laid in a brothel
with a £50 note wrapped around their dick.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

I've noticed the stupidest people typically have the smartest phones.
Smarter than they are in fact.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

...until of course there's a glitch with that, too.

In which case you just use the spare.

Give me cash; it never lets me down.

You have clearly never tried renting a car from
one of the major car rental operations with cash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Simon Mason wrote

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently
due to a combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Would a lot simpler and quicker to just use cash in the first place then!

Nope, because you have to keep farting around getting more of that all the
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 05:31:28 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Nope, because you have to keep farting around getting more of that all
the time.

Think of cash as a failsafe resource you can dip into when all else
fails, then.
I hear too many horror stories of people getting stranded abroad when
they only take a piece of plastic with them and it gets swallowed the
first time they use it (for any number of reasons). I recall losing one
in Italy some years ago because the daylight was so intense at the time I
couldn't read the on-screen instructions and must have entered my pin at
the wrong prompt or something like that. I'll never make that mistake
again so it's cash every time for me now and I get it out well before
leaving!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 05:29:44 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

I've noticed the stupidest people typically have the smartest phones.
Smarter than they are in fact.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that
way.

...until of course there's a glitch with that, too.

In which case you just use the spare.

Not going to help if the glitch is with the *system* rather than the card
- and that still happens far too often for my liking.

Give me cash; it never lets me down.

You have clearly never tried renting a car from one of the major car
rental operations with cash.

I would take plastic for that, certainly. But in addition to cash. Always
take at least *some* cash!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Cursitor Doom wrote
Simon Mason wrote

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently
due to a combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Would a lot simpler and quicker to just use cash in the first place
then!

Nope, because you have to keep farting
around getting more of that all the time.

Think of cash as a failsafe resource you
can dip into when all else fails, then.

I do, but not so much as a failsafe but because cash is still the
most practical for just one situation, garage/yard/boot sales.

While you can now pay anyone who has a mobile phone number
instead of using cash, its not really feasible to convince someone
who has not done that before that that works when in a queue
at a garage/yard/boot sale of those paying for what they want.

And at the farmers market which is the other place I still
use cash, likely paying them to their mobile number would
be a lot more hassle for them than using cash too if I was
the only one doing it and did that every couple of weeks.

I hear too many horror stories of people getting stranded abroad
when they only take a piece of plastic with them and it gets
swallowed the first time they use it (for any number of reasons).

Cant get swallowed when you use the phone to pay instead of a physical card.

And much more secure if you lose the phone or have it stolen too.

I recall losing one in Italy some years ago because the daylight was
so intense at the time I couldn't read the on-screen instructions and
must have entered my pin at the wrong prompt or something like that.

Sure, but again, can't happen if you pay using the phone.

I'll never make that mistake again so it's cash every time for me now

Makes a lot more sense to use the phone instead of cash now.

and I get it out well before leaving!

Dont have to bother when you use the phone instead.

And can't have the cash stolen either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

I've noticed the stupidest people typically have the smartest phones.
Smarter than they are in fact.

If you had one you could just wave
it at the terminal and pay that way.

...until of course there's a glitch with that, too.

In which case you just use the spare.

Not going to help if the glitch is with the *system* rather than the card

Paying with the phone works fine when the system is offline.
The phone has a number of tokens stored in the secure enclave
in the phone, doesnt need to get one from the system to pay.

- and that still happens far too often for my liking.

You clearly dont pay by phone, it doesnt happen at all anymore.

Thats the reason the best phones have a secure enclave
and keep a number of tokens for ready use in there.

Give me cash; it never lets me down.

You have clearly never tried renting a car from
one of the major car rental operations with cash.

I would take plastic for that, certainly. But in addition
to cash. Always take at least *some* cash!

Sure, there are still a few places where cash is most
convenient but you dont need much cash for those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 19:45:11 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 05:31:28 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Nope, because you have to keep farting around getting more of that all
the time.

Think of cash as a failsafe resource you can dip into when all else
fails, then.

I took ‚¬2500 on my 6 week tour of Europe last summer and used it in shops, restaurants and supermarkets so could not get skimmed. Used Barclaycard for petrol/hotels and then printed off a £50 M+S voucher when I got home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nope, because you have to keep farting
around getting more of that all the time.

Think of cash as a failsafe resource you
can dip into when all else fails, then.

I took ‚¬2500 on my 6 week tour of Europe
last summer and used it in shops, restaurants
and supermarkets so could not get skimmed.

Mad. Makes a lot more sense to pay with your
phone, that can't get skimmed because it uses
a one time token system that can only be used
for a single transaction.

Used Barclaycard for petrol/hotels

Even madder, much more convenient to use the phone.

And much more secure too.

and then printed off a £50 M+S voucher when I got home.

Even madder, with a phone you dont need to print anything
and there is never a problem with the scanning of what you print.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 07:02:21 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

And can't have the cash stolen either.

Phones are just as susceptible to theft as cash.
My main issue with alternatives to cash is the counterparty risk. You are
reliant on the payment infrastructure system working when you need it to
and the circumstances at the time can be critical. I don't want to be
dependent on some stranger's nod to complete a transaction (which is
effectively what it amounts to) that's no good to me. I need certainty. I
guess I'm of a certain age where one becomes resistant to change because
there's something about the notion of using a smart phone to pay for
things that just doesn't sit right to my mind. All the time cash is an
alternative, I don't care about that, but if there ever comes a time when
that alternative is abolished, I may have to go off-grid altogether 'cos
I'm just not having it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 07:12:36 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Sure, there are still a few places where cash is most convenient but you
dont need much cash for those.

If I'm going to France or Germany to buy a vintage car or a boat (as I
frequently have to) I have little option but to pay in cash. It's
*always* accepted (has to be by law). If I turned up with a mobile phone
and tried to pay with that and the seller was the same age as me or older
(invariably the case) I'm going to have a totally wasted trip!
So I'm sorry but the "only need cash for small, incidental purchases"
argument doesn't hold up for everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:56:03 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

[...]

On 7/7, cash machines rapidly emptied.

I always carry a cash reserve now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 20:34:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Mad. Makes a lot more sense to pay with your
phone, that can't get skimmed because it uses
a one time token system that can only be used
for a single transaction.

IF I AM IN MOLDOVA AND GO TO A PETROL STATION WITH A BIG WAD OF LEU TO PAY FOR MY GAS WHAT USE IS A POXY £1000 CHAVPHONE TO THE GREASE MONKEY?

NONE AT ALL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 07:02:21 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Makes a lot more sense to use the phone instead of cash now.

You're crazy. It's a mere stepping stone to this nightmare trap from
which there can be no way back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzW8tV-bz4

Don't let this hero's untimely death be in vain. Heed his warning well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And can't have the cash stolen either.

Phones are just as susceptible to theft as cash.

But the best of them are completely useless
when stolen and they cant be used to steal
any of your CASH, unlike physical cards.

While you can usually get the cash that has been stolen
after the card has been stolen or lost back, its much more
convenient that it can't be stolen at all if the phone is
lost or stolen and it is in fact MUCH easier to get the
phone back if it has been lost than it is with cash. With
cash its normally gone forever if you do lose it because
you lose your wallet or have that stolen.

My main issue with alternatives to cash is the counterparty risk. You are
reliant on the payment infrastructure system working when you need it to

No you arent with the best of the phones which keep a number
of tokens in the secure vault in the phone so dont need any
infrastructure that the phone uses to be working to make a payment.

You dont even need the payment terminal to be working either, you
can pay to any mobile phone number in the planet if you need to.

That is much better than cash because you dont
need to be physically near the other person to do that.

and the circumstances at the time can be critical.

Yes, but the token system means that that
works fine even if the system is currently down.

I don't want to be dependent on some stranger's nod to
complete a transaction (which is effectively what it amounts to)

No it doesnt with the token system.

that's no good to me. I need certainty.

You dont have certainty with cash. You dont have certainty with anything.

I guess I'm of a certain age where one becomes resistant to change

I am in fact rather older than you are.

because there's something about the notion of using a smart
phone to pay for things that just doesn't sit right to my mind.

Yes, some like you refused to use phones when they first appeared.

All the time cash is an alternative,

A much less convenient alternative. Yes, I always have
cash but I only use it when it isnt possible or practical
to use the phone to pay for things now.

I don't care about that, but if there ever comes a
time when that alternative is abolished, I may have
to go off-grid altogether 'cos I'm just not having it.

You can't go off the grid altogether
except in the sense of killing yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Sure, there are still a few places where cash is most
convenient but you dont need much cash for those.

If I'm going to France or Germany to buy a vintage car or a boat
(as I frequently have to) I have little option but to pay in cash.

That is just plain wrong. You can pay to anyone
who has a mobile phone number now.

It's *always* accepted (has to be by law).

Thats not true either and in fact you can't rent a car from one of the
majors
using cash anymore and havent been able to do so for a long time now.

If I turned up with a mobile phone and tried to pay with
that and the seller was the same age as me or older
(invariably the case) I'm going to have a totally wasted trip!

Nope, the worst you might have to do is get the cash out at
an ATM or bank if you do find someone as dinosaury as you.

So I'm sorry but the "only need cash for small, incidental
purchases" argument doesn't hold up for everyone.

Near enough now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

I do for other reasons, mainly because the
garage/yard/boot sales work better with cash.

When I get cash I dont get it from cash machines, I get
it from the self checkouts in the supermarkets instead.

Ours have on the main screen, two
alternatives, cash and shopping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Mad. Makes a lot more sense to pay with your
phone, that can't get skimmed because it uses
a one time token system that can only be used
for a single transaction.

IF I AM IN MOLDOVA AND GO TO A PETROL STATION
WITH A BIG WAD OF LEU TO PAY FOR MY GAS WHAT USE
IS A POXY £1000 CHAVPHONE TO THE GREASE MONKEY?

YOU CAN PAY TO ANYONE WITH A MOBILE PHONE NUMBER
NOW AND THAT IS ALMOST UNIVERSAL IN THE THIRD
WORLD NOW, BECAUSE THEIR BANKS ARE SO ****ED.

NONE AT ALL.

WRONG, AS ALWAYS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Makes a lot more sense to use the phone instead of cash now.

You're crazy.

And so are all of Google, Samsung, Apple, all the banks eh ?

Yeah, right.

It's a mere stepping stone to this nightmare
trap from which there can be no way back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzW8tV-bz4

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Don't let this hero's untimely death be in vain.

He's no hero, just another silly loon.

Heed his warning well.

I've flushed it where it belongs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Only because you are too stupid to have a decent smartphone.

If you had one you could just wave it at the terminal and pay that way.

If I tried waving my superb nokia 1100

One of the better dinosaur phones...

( better than ant smartphone )

Ants arent allowed to have smartphones, stupid.

would it work?

Yes, it will still work as a stupidphone, stupid.

...tee hee

This is no laughing matter, boy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I tried waving my superb nokia 1100

One of the better dinosaur phones...

tried all the smartphones and allways go back to the 1100.....you can read
the LCD in brightest sumshine....very small and strong.....battery lasts all
week......nokia wired hands free charges as well.....worth 50p.......you can
work it without looking at it.....no touch screen.......no need for anything
else...who agrees??? ..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the better dinosaur phones...

in the film "sully" he doesn't have a fancy smart phone...enough said .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 November 2016 08:18:07 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tried all the smartphones and allways go back to the 1100.....you can read
the LCD in brightest sumshine....very small and strong.....battery lasts all
week......nokia wired hands free charges as well.....worth 50p.......you can
work it without looking at it.....no touch screen.......no need for anything
else...who agrees??? ..........

Not me - I use this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyVlKp0W8AAW215.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 28 November 2016 08:18:07 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tried all the smartphones and allways go back to the 1100.....you can
read
the LCD in brightest sumshine....very small and strong.....battery lasts
all
week......nokia wired hands free charges as well.....worth 50p.......you
can
work it without looking at it.....no touch screen.......no need for
anything
else...who agrees??? ..........

Not me - I use this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyVlKp0W8AAW215.jpg

dead cheap that is .........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

If I tried waving my superb nokia 1100

One of the better dinosaur phones...

tried all the smartphones and allways go back to the 1100.....

Just another dinosaur...

you can read the LCD in brightest sumshine....

No such thing in that soggy little frigid island...

very small and strong.....

Just as true of any decent smartphone in a decent lifeproof
case if you are actually stupid enough to use it as a football...

battery lasts all week......

Just as true of any decent smartphone in a power pack case...

nokia wired hands free charges as well.....

Just as true of any decent smartphone...

worth 50p.......

Didn’t realise you were such a desperate pov...

you can work it without looking at it.....

Just as true of any decent smartphone...

no touch screen.......

So all it can do is calls and texts...

no need for anything else...

Yep, you actually are that stupid...

who agrees??? ..........

Only ****wit dinosaurs like you...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 28 November 2016 08:18:07 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tried all the smartphones and allways go back to the 1100.....you can
read
the LCD in brightest sumshine....very small and strong.....battery lasts
all
week......nokia wired hands free charges as well.....worth 50p.......you
can
work it without looking at it.....no touch screen.......no need for
anything
else...who agrees??? ..........

Not me - I use this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyVlKp0W8AAW215.jpg

Pity about the cost of calls and texts...