Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine troubles

Hello,

I have a Zanussi ZWH6160P washing machine. Lately it has been giving me trouble. It started when the door would not open after a wash. I ran the "Drain" program then the door opened. As per the manual I removed and cleaned the drain filter even though it did not seem to be dirty. I am confident I replaced it according to the instructions. However since then the machine will not wash.

When I select the program I want and press the start button it fills with water for about ten seconds then spins at a high speed for about five seconds then just stops. The door will not open again until I have run a "drain" program. I have looked at the drain hose and can not see any kinks. The other end of the hose attaches to a sink spigot. The sink appears to be draining freely. The lights on the front of the machine are not displaying an error code.

The only fault listed in the manual that is vaguely similar is to do with an unbalanced load but that only kicks in after ten minutes (or so it says). Is the next step taking it apart? If so how should I get the water out? Even after running the "drain" program several times there is still water in the machine, I know because I can see it when I lift the filter cover.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could be a sensor issue.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

As Brian suggests, it could be a sensor issue Google also suggests this.
However, just because the sink is draining freely doesn't necessarily
prove the machine is. I would check that first, taking the waste hose
off the spigot and putting in a bucket would be worth trying to
eliminate that possibility and also verify that the drain pump is working.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 18:59, wrote:
[...]

I had a problem with a 10+ year old Hoover w/m where the door would not
open at the end of the cycle. The difficulty was caused by the drain
pump not working hard enough. It uses a permanent magnet which had no
doubt lost its strength over the years.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 8:58:19 PM UTC, Lee wrote:
As Brian suggests, it could be a sensor issue Google also suggests this.
However, just because the sink is draining freely doesn't necessarily
prove the machine is. I would check that first, taking the waste hose
off the spigot and putting in a bucket would be worth trying to
eliminate that possibility and also verify that the drain pump is working..

I have just tried messing about with it with the drain hose over a bucket. Water flows quickly down the hose when the pump is running. The fault with washing remains the same. If it is a sensor fault is it easy to identify which one and replace or is it not a simple amateur repair, and so a sensible place for me to stop and get a different machine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 24/11/2016 10:58, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 8:58:19 PM UTC, Lee wrote:
As Brian suggests, it could be a sensor issue Google also suggests this.
However, just because the sink is draining freely doesn't necessarily
prove the machine is. I would check that first, taking the waste hose
off the spigot and putting in a bucket would be worth trying to
eliminate that possibility and also verify that the drain pump is working.

I have just tried messing about with it with the drain hose over a bucket. Water flows quickly down the hose when the pump is running. The fault with washing remains the same. If it is a sensor fault is it easy to identify which one and replace or is it not a simple amateur repair, and so a sensible place for me to stop and get a different machine?

Ok, so assuming the pump is ok.

How old is the machine and do you live in a "hard" water area?
The sensor most likely to give problems is the water level sensor which
is easily identified as a (usually) thick round disk with electrical
connections and 2 (maybe more) small bore water hoses.

It's not usually the sensor itself, it's more commonly one the small
hoses being blocked with "gunk".
Taking the hoses off and checking they are clear by blowing through them
should be easily doable.
Usual precautions, make sure power is off etc

You can also try to see if the sensor is working mechanically (it's
normally a switch) by blowing very gently into the hose and listening
for a "click". But don't blow too hard or you risk damaging it.

This Youtube video is not about your machine but has generic info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8LcsezlvHw

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

*or more usually just a single clear tube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 18:59, wrote:
[...]

if the water is not getting pumped out it won't be happy, perhaps there
is a something stuck in the pump? usually there is an access through
which you can reach the pump impeller and see if it turns, at the same
time any remaining water will fall out.

My sister had a similar problem after a new sink was installed, the
'plumber' had not cut the blank end off the spigot onto the waste pipe/u
bend !!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 12:17:04 PM UTC, Lee wrote:
On 24/11/2016 10:58, wrote:
[...]

I have taken the top off the machine. There was only one hose running past the drum. I pulled it off the push fitting to a black electrical unit and blew. I was rewarded with the sound of bubbles. I pushed it back together then ran a 'drain' then 'wash' programme. There was no change. While the water drained/filled I listed to the sensor but it did not click. I disconnected the sensor and tried blowing down the rigid section of pipe that the hose pushed onto. There was no click.

Is the lack of a click a definite test?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2016 10:58, wrote:
[...]

Just wanted to add it is not a hard water area. The machine is about five years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Is the lack of a click a definite test?

Even if you have identified the correct part, not really, a definitive
test would be to hook a meter to it with the thing running...
I did not think failure of the switch itself was that common though,
maybe others can chime in here?

Just wanted to add it is not a hard water area. The machine is about five years old.

Sludged up pipes are highly unlikely to be your problem then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 10:45:23 PM UTC, Lee wrote:
Is the lack of a click a definite test?

Even if you have identified the correct part, not really, a definitive
test would be to hook a meter to it with the thing running...
I did not think failure of the switch itself was that common though,
maybe others can chime in here?

I have looked up a pressure sensor for my washing machine on a spares website. The picture of the sensor looked the same as the part I was testing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 11:02:41 PM UTC, Lee wrote:

The problem is that while the symptoms are highly suggestive of that
part failing (or the hose being blocked) it's not definitive. There cold
be issues with poor solder joints on the control board or connections
that have broken due to vibration.
I would not want to suggest purchasing a replacement switch based on
what you have said here.

Okay. Thanks for your help Lee, and the other people who chipped in. I think I will go for a another machine. At least i know I have done some basic stuff to try to fix the old one first.