Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another Glue Q

I have 2 plastics I need to glue together

ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets.
The fitting is a close fit.

Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about using
Loctite Plastic Bonding System (2-part)
http://tinyurl.com/brfak4z

It seems capable - but when I Googled the comments were immediate grab,
no repositioning .... which would mean being able to push pipes into
sockets would be a problem.

If it were ABS-ABS then normal solvent would be fine ...but it is no
good on Polypropylene
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

rick Wrote in message:
I have 2 plastics I need to glue together

ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets.
The fitting is a close fit.

Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about using
Loctite Plastic Bonding System (2-part)
http://tinyurl.com/brfak4z

It seems capable - but when I Googled the comments were immediate grab,
no repositioning .... which would mean being able to push pipes into
sockets would be a problem.

? I got "Press parts together immediately. Hold in place for 30
seconds or until bond sets. Do not reposition parts.*"

Seems plenty time.

Give it a try?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is Urethane Bond still around, Think it was a Dow corning product and has
worked well for this sort of thing as long as it is left alone, even
outside. I've not seen it in years but it could still be about but with a
different, and probably correctly spelled name.
I even glued asbestos to a polypropylene washing up bowl with it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"rick" wrote in message
news
I have 2 plastics I need to glue together

ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets.
The fitting is a close fit.

Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about using Loctite
Plastic Bonding System (2-part)
http://tinyurl.com/brfak4z

It seems capable - but when I Googled the comments were immediate grab, no
repositioning .... which would mean being able to push pipes into sockets
would be a problem.

If it were ABS-ABS then normal solvent would be fine ...but it is no good
on Polypropylene

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/16 12:48, rick wrote:
I have 2 plastics I need to glue together

ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets.
The fitting is a close fit.

Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about using
Loctite Plastic Bonding System (2-part)
http://tinyurl.com/brfak4z

It seems capable - but when I Googled the comments were immediate grab,
no repositioning .... which would mean being able to push pipes into
sockets would be a problem.

If it were ABS-ABS then normal solvent would be fine ...but it is no
good on Polypropylene

Xylene or toluene look possible solvents.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2016 12:48, rick wrote:
I have 2 plastics I need to glue together

ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets.
The fitting is a close fit.

Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about using
Loctite Plastic Bonding System (2-part)
http://tinyurl.com/brfak4z

It seems capable - but when I Googled the comments were immediate grab,
no repositioning .... which would mean being able to push pipes into
sockets would be a problem.

If it were ABS-ABS then normal solvent would be fine ...but it is no
good on Polypropylene

Is this on waste pipe attempting to join push fit to solvent weld?

If so, how about a universal compression fitting?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2016 13:08, jim wrote:

? I got "Press parts together immediately. Hold in place for 30
seconds or until bond sets. Do not reposition parts. "

Seems plenty time.

I looked at some of the on line comparison reviews .. that was where
'instant grab was mentioned ..... like contact adhesive presumably

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2016 15:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2016 12:48, rick wrote:

No needs to be a glued joint dues to size of pipe/socket.

I have pinged a question to Loctite support - see if I get an answer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

rick Wrote in message:
On 22/11/2016 13:08, jim wrote:

? I got "Press parts together immediately. Hold in place for 30
seconds or until bond sets. Do not reposition parts. "

Seems plenty time.

I looked at some of the on line comparison reviews .. that was where
'instant grab was mentioned ..... like contact adhesive presumably

For a fiver might be worth an experiment?

Ime Superglues & derivatives (which this appears to be one) take
at least a few 10s of seconds to "grab"...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/22/2016 12:48 PM, rick wrote:
I have 2 plastics I need to glue together

ABS pipe which is inserted into Polypropylene cast female sockets.
The fitting is a close fit.

Polypropylene is not an easy item to glue .... thought about using
Loctite Plastic Bonding System (2-part)
http://tinyurl.com/brfak4z

It seems capable - but when I Googled the comments were immediate grab,
no repositioning .... which would mean being able to push pipes into
sockets would be a problem.

If it were ABS-ABS then normal solvent would be fine ...but it is no
good on Polypropylene

I don't think superglue will stick well to PP. Might get away with it
provided the clearance really is small. A strategy which I have found
works well in the past is to wind overlapping layers of stretched PVC
tape over the joint. You could do this in addition to glueing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2016 23:20, jim wrote:
rick Wrote in message:
On 22/11/2016 13:08, jim wrote:

? I got "Press parts together immediately. Hold in place for 30
seconds or until bond sets. Do not reposition parts. "

Seems plenty time.

I looked at some of the on line comparison reviews .. that was where
'instant grab was mentioned ..... like contact adhesive presumably

For a fiver might be worth an experiment?

Ime Superglues & derivatives (which this appears to be one) take
at least a few 10s of seconds to "grab"...

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

rick Wrote in message:
On 22/11/2016 23:20, jim wrote:
rick Wrote in message:
On 22/11/2016 13:08, jim wrote:

? I got "Press parts together immediately. Hold in place for 30
seconds or until bond sets. Do not reposition parts. "

Seems plenty time.

I looked at some of the on line comparison reviews .. that was where
'instant grab was mentioned ..... like contact adhesive presumably

For a fiver might be worth an experiment?

Ime Superglues & derivatives (which this appears to be one) take
at least a few 10s of seconds to "grab"...

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Phone /email them.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 19:09, jim wrote:

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Phone /email them.

I did raise a customer support Tkt on Monday ... await response
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

rick Wrote in message:
On 23/11/2016 19:09, jim wrote:

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Phone /email them.

I did raise a customer support Tkt on Monday ... await response

It would appear they should hold the detailed answers you seek.

What are you gluing together anyway? (After all that)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 23:16, jim wrote:
rick Wrote in message:
On 23/11/2016 19:09, jim wrote:

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Phone /email them.

I did raise a customer support Tkt on Monday ... await response

It would appear they should hold the detailed answers you seek.

What are you gluing together anyway? (After all that)

2" ABS pipe into a 2" socket in a polyurethane cyclonic separator.

After a full 7days no response from Loctite .... may just smear the pipe
with silicone and press it in ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 November 2016 13:53:04 UTC, rick wrote:
On 23/11/2016 23:16, jim wrote:
rick Wrote in message:
On 23/11/2016 19:09, jim wrote:

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Phone /email them.

I did raise a customer support Tkt on Monday ... await response

It would appear they should hold the detailed answers you seek.

What are you gluing together anyway? (After all that)

2" ABS pipe into a 2" socket in a polyurethane cyclonic separator.

After a full 7days no response from Loctite .... may just smear the pipe
with silicone and press it in ...

You couldn't run with a simple friction fit? For gluing, I assume you know to very lightly sand them first.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

rick Wrote in message:
On 23/11/2016 23:16, jim wrote:
rick Wrote in message:
On 23/11/2016 19:09, jim wrote:

Worth a try - but I only get the one chance if it got stuck part way
into fitting ... that would screw things up.

Phone /email them.

I did raise a customer support Tkt on Monday ... await response

It would appear they should hold the detailed answers you seek.

What are you gluing together anyway? (After all that)

2" ABS pipe into a 2" socket in a polyurethane cyclonic separator.

After a full 7days no response from Loctite .... may just smear the pipe
with silicone and press it in ...

Will it be under pressure pushing it apart or under vacuum pulling
it together? Might not need gluing if latter?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/