Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What to do with mail when abroad?

An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 10:34:55 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left
stuffed with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Have somebody with a key go in every couple of days and gather the post
together in a pile on a table, or in a bag.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Build a big external mailbox, ours holds about 6cu ft of mail and crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 10:34:58 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Royal Mail Keepsafe stores incoming mail for up to 66 days.
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/re...-mail/keepsafe

Β£23 for up to 31 days, Β£44 for up to 66 days.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

Poste Restante is for travellers on the move needing a temporary address.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

He needs to check his home insurance too. Many policies only cover
absences of 30 days. Having someone go in to check the place is normally
classed as sufficient by insurers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 10:34:55 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left
stuffed with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Have somebody with a key go in every couple of days and gather the post
together in a pile on a table, or in a bag.

And generally check things over. It's not just mail piling up that tells a
neredowell a property is empty. You'd have thought that stating the
bleeding obvious to one like Turnip who knows so much.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 10:34:58 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

He also needs to turn off water and drain down tanks in loft.
Including central heating.
Also gas & electricity.

Empty freezers & fridges.
Get rid of perishable food.
Clean and leave doors open.

Hide/remove all valuable items.

Leaving houses empty this time of year is bad news.

Get someone to go in every few days & check the place out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 10:34:58 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

He also needs to turn off water and drain down tanks in loft.
Including central heating.
Also gas& electricity.

Empty freezers& fridges.
Get rid of perishable food.
Clean and leave doors open.

Hide/remove all valuable items.

Leaving houses empty this time of year is bad news.

Get someone to go in every few days& check the place out.

Scaremongering. The risks are minimal if you don't have a modern
boiler. If you turn off the heating, you give yourself lots more
problems, like having yo put anti freeze into toilets etc. BTDTGTTS!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 16:48, Capitol wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

I have (someone else) chest freezer that I haven't opened for a year now.

I certainly wouldn't turn off a freezer.

I'll be around to sort some of his stuff out, but not all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont hold
5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed with
weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

One obvious alternative is to get a neighbour to collect the mail.

That's what we do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 18:22, Hankat wrote:

news
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left
stuffed with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

One obvious alternative is to get a neighbour to collect the mail.

That's what we do.

If I can organise that for him, that is best. I wont be there myself

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 21 November 2016 10:34:58 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

He also needs to turn off water and drain down tanks in loft.
Including central heating.
Also gas & electricity.

Empty freezers & fridges.
Get rid of perishable food.
Clean and leave doors open.

Hide/remove all valuable items.

Mad to do all that for just 5 weeks.

Makes a lot more sense to get someone to check daily etc.

Leaving houses empty this time of year is bad news.

Get someone to go in every few days & check the place out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

One useful and cheap thing is a couple of timers to switch lights on -
one downstairs and one upstairs. Or in a couple of different rooms if a
bungalow or flat on one level.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:
[...]

Its far from clear that that does actually make any significant difference.

Apparently most of the crims knock on the door to see if there is anyone
home.

We really need some decent stats now that its so easy to log when that
sort of thing happens with so many with decent surveillance systems
but I spose they arent likely to be too keen on publishing the stats
even if they have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

It's called "Keepsafe". The local sorting office will hold mail until you
return. Collect form at any Post Office or look at Royal Mail's website

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 10:58, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 10:34:55 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left
stuffed with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Have somebody with a key go in every couple of days and gather the post
together in a pile on a table, or in a bag.

Yes.

As others have said, it's sensible to check and the insurance probably
requires it.

Because any mail that comes through my letterbox ends up on the floor
where it can be seen, when I go away for any time, I rig up a pillowcase
behind the slot so that the mail drops into that and remains out of
sight behind the door.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Probably not. I guess the idea is to dissuade the crims. If there are 10
houses in a street with lights on, whether occupied or not, and a couple
without lights, I think they would try those first. I wonder if those
"fake TV" lights flashing various colours behind closed curtains are any
better?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well can you not redirect it or set it up as an alternate address say a uk
relative. its done a lot for those going into hospital for long periods so
it has to be possible though of course knowing the post office probably not
free.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont hold
5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed with
weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I've got one of those. It looks convincing to me but then a) I haven't
got a real telly to compare it with and b) I'm not a burglar whose
livlihood depends on such discernment.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to
visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left
stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

We have a friend come and pick it up every few days. We didn't bother
one year and couldn't open the door when we came home. So much junk mail
and something jammed perfectly under the door.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 10:34:58 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

What about setting up 'mail redirection' to a friend's house? It does;'t cost much. He can cancel it when he comes home again.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/16 15:12, RobertL wrote:
On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 10:34:58 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

What about setting up 'mail redirection' to a friend's house? It does;'t cost much. He can cancel it when he comes home again.

Robert

He has organised another neighbour to come in and put the mail in a safe
place.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Just typed Royal mail hold post ...
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/re...-mail/keepsafe

They will hold mail for up to 60 days
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-25, rick wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Just typed Royal mail hold post ...
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/re...-mail/keepsafe

They will hold mail for up to 60 days

Said solution now having been repeatedly mentioned.

I only read the 1st 7 posts - didn't read them all... never mind

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-25, rick wrote:
An elderly friend is going abroad over Christmas for 5 weeks to visit
family, and wants to know what to do about his letterbox, which wont
hold 5 weeks of mail and would rather give the game away if left
stuffed
with weeks old letters.

Poste Restante seems to only hold mail for two weeks.

What are the alternatives?

Just typed Royal mail hold post ...
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/re...-mail/keepsafe

They will hold mail for up to 60 days

Said solution now having been repeatedly mentioned.

I only read the 1st 7 posts - didn't read them all... never mind

S'all right. Good responses all round, and as I said, all been sorted by
neighbour coming in.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft

Buying from abroad? gareth UK diy 16 May 12th 15 08:47 AM
Abroad Study mukinda Metalworking 0 April 30th 12 02:54 PM
Abroad Study mukinda Home Repair 0 April 30th 12 02:44 PM
Posting abroad Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 December 16th 11 07:29 PM
help, voltage problms abroad [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 March 13th 07 08:35 PM