Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying from abroad?

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/05/2015 20:31, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 10/05/2015 19:35, gareth wrote:
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and,
if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

You would need a Euro bank account to do that, which I assume you don't,
or you probably wouldn't be asking.

You can usually pay by bank transfer. For this, you will need the full
name and address of both the recipient and of their bank, the bank's
Banking Identifier Code (BIC) or SWIFT code and the recipient's bank
account number, or, preferably, their IBAN (International Bank Account
Number).

The trouble with banks is you get a poor rate of exchange plus they make
charges for the service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and, if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 May 2015 19:35:16 +0100, gareth wrote:

Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account

Very unlikely.

is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

My bank (FD) charges me less than a fiver for a transfer to a Eurozone
account.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2015 19:35, gareth wrote:
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and, if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

You would need a Euro bank account to do that, which I assume you don't,
or you probably wouldn't be asking.

You can usually pay by bank transfer. For this, you will need the full
name and address of both the recipient and of their bank, the bank's
Banking Identifier Code (BIC) or SWIFT code and the recipient's bank
account number, or, preferably, their IBAN (International Bank Account
Number).

There are also international money transfer agencies, but these are not
regulated in the same way as banks and, if one fails while it has your
money, which happened recently, you could lose the money.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2015 19:35, gareth wrote:
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and, if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

You may find that the seller will refuse it because he is the one that
will be subject to hefty fees to cash it or put it through his account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 May 2015 20:31:27 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

There are also international money transfer agencies, but these are not
regulated in the same way as banks and, if one fails while it has your
money, which happened recently, you could lose the money.

and IMLE they can be a bit dodgy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eurocheques do have a cost, but that varies. I found when I was a business,
if I had a Euro facility it cost me quite a bit. I don't see the banks
changing their nasty way of making moneyany time soon.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"gareth" wrote in message
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and, if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2015 08:17:08 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Eurocheques do have a cost

Eurocheques were discontinued nearly a decade and a half ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2015 18:53, harryagain wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/05/2015 20:31, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 10/05/2015 19:35, gareth wrote:
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and,
if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

You would need a Euro bank account to do that, which I assume you don't,
or you probably wouldn't be asking.

You can usually pay by bank transfer. For this, you will need the full
name and address of both the recipient and of their bank, the bank's
Banking Identifier Code (BIC) or SWIFT code and the recipient's bank
account number, or, preferably, their IBAN (International Bank Account
Number).

The trouble with banks is you get a poor rate of exchange plus they make
charges for the service.

A bank transfer ought to be at or near the inter-bank rates, which are
considerably better than the rates you get if buying currency over the
counter. As for charges, it will be a lot cheaper than something like a
letter of credit and, if both accounts are with the same bank, may even
be free.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:
Eurocheques do have a cost, but that varies. I found when I was a business,
if I had a Euro facility it cost me quite a bit. I don't see the banks
changing their nasty way of making moneyany time soon.

Eurocheques (if you really mean that specific way of sending foreign
currency) were discontinued many years ago.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2015 19:35, gareth wrote:
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account, and, if
one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

If you're buying can you not use a credit or debit card? They'll do the
conversion for you.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
A bank transfer ought to be at or near the inter-bank rates, which are
considerably better than the rates you get if buying currency over the
counter. As for charges, it will be a lot cheaper than something like a
letter of credit and, if both accounts are with the same bank, may even
be free.

There will be a load of up to 3% on the exchange rate for interbank - better
than getting cash at the airport, but still expensive. You can get this
down to about 0.5% depending on amount with third-party brokers (including
transfer fees).

There is no need for any fixed fees, charging them is entirely at the whim
of your bank. SEPA rules in the Eurozone mean cross-border payments in Euro
must cost the same as local Euro payments, so freqently Euro-Euro payments
are cheap (free or 50 cents). But the UK banks have wriggled out of this
one as you're starting in pounds, and are free to charge whatever they like
(and they do).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2015 14:03, Theo Markettos wrote:
[...]

When I bought a house in France, quite a few years ago now, IIRC I got
0.5% above the interbank rate and paid no transfer fees. However, that
was 0.5% on a quarter of a million Euro and I was moving the money
between my own accounts in different branches of the same bank.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-11, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

A bank transfer ought to be at or near the inter-bank rates, which are
considerably better than the rates you get if buying currency over the
counter. As for charges, it will be a lot cheaper than something like a
letter of credit and, if both accounts are with the same bank, may even
be free.

IME, interbank transfers between the UK and USA cost the sender £25 and the recipient $40. Given
that the whole thing is automated, these charges are an outrage.

It is a long time since I used a letter of credit, but ISTR a charge of
around £60, if I chose to pay the fees for both ends.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
When I bought a house in France, quite a few years ago now, IIRC I got
0.5% above the interbank rate and paid no transfer fees. However, that
was 0.5% on a quarter of a million Euro and I was moving the money
between my own accounts in different branches of the same bank.

0.35% (average) plus EUR3 fixed fee:
https://www.currencyfair.com/feature...exchange-fees/

0.5%, minimum GBP1:
https://transferwise.com/support/cus...-transferwise-

(both legit companies)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May 2015, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk
grunted:

On 10/05/2015 19:35, gareth wrote:
Can one issue a cheque specifying Euros from a Brit bank account,
and, if one
does, is one loable to receive a hefty fee from one's local bank?

There are also international money transfer agencies, but these are
not regulated in the same way as banks and, if one fails while it has
your money, which happened recently, you could lose the money.

My bank (RBS) charges a ****load to do this, and on rare occasions (maybe
around annually?) I need to do this, usually for holiday-related reasons,
over the past 2-3 years I've use Transferwise. They've been very good; as
it happens I transferred 510 Euros to Portugal yesterday, which cost me in
total 374.85 GBP. The equivalent (1-2 day) service from RBS would have
been 30 GBP extra, or 10 GBP extra for a slower service. It's particularly
good when you're talking about transferring small sums - like being charged
a fee of 30 GBP to transfer 20 quid to Europe!

As Colin says, you aren't protected against them going bust on the day you
do your transfer, and I think I'd sweat a bit if I was using them to buy a
house or something! And I'd always use a credit card in preference if
possible.

If the OP's interested - suggest you sign up using my referral link, and
they'll give you a free first transfer (and me a kickback):
https://transferwise.com/u/b3dbf

--
David

Abroad Study mukinda Metalworking 0 April 30th 12 02:54 PM
Abroad Study mukinda Home Repair 0 April 30th 12 02:44 PM
Posting abroad Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 December 16th 11 07:29 PM
[OT] Mobile web access abroad JoeJoe UK diy 8 September 30th 10 10:32 AM
help, voltage problms abroad [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 March 13th 07 08:35 PM