Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default help, voltage problms abroad

i forgot to switch to 230v when plugging in my american desktop in
france, there was a pop, and now it wont start. did i completely break
it or is there a circuit breaker or something i can fix

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 8, 8:46 am, wrote:
i forgot to switch to 230v when plugging in my american desktop in
france, there was a pop, and now it wont start. did i completely break
it or is there a circuit breaker or something i can fix

Is the power supply in the desktop, or does it use a wallwart
(probably not)?

H. R. Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 8, 3:59 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:46 am, wrote:

i forgot to switch to 230v when plugging in my american desktop in
france, there was a pop, and now it wont start. did i completely break
it or is there a circuit breaker or something i can fix

Is the power supply in the desktop, or does it use a wallwart
(probably not)?

H. R. Hofmann

its in the desktop, do i need a new one or can they be fixed?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 8, 11:13 am, James Sweet wrote:
wrote:
i forgot to switch to 230v when plugging in my american desktop in
france, there was a pop, and now it wont start. did i completely break
it or is there a circuit breaker or something i can fix

Just replace the power supply, it's not really worth trying to fix it.

The power supply should have a sticker somewhere with the
manufacturers information, also what outputs (typically 5 and 12 V),
and what current (amperes) it is capable of supplying. Anything that
has the same connectors and voltages and currents should be ok,
mounting screws and connectors will be the biggest problem.

H, R, Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

its in the desktop, do i need a new one or can they be fixed?

Go to a few computer stores and ask if they carry your brand of computer.
Tell them you need a new power supply (with France's input voltage
settings!). If it is for the same make/model, it should have all the same
connectors and be a fairly straightforward install. If all you can find is a
"generic" power supply (you must match the watts rating on your old power
supply to the new one -- sometimes it is stated like "200W"), it should be a
no more than a bit of a small puzzle to make it work for someone with basic
computer/electronic skills (I'm sure you know *someone*).

Good luck,
FBt