Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default help, voltage problms abroad

wrote:
its in the desktop, do i need a new one or can they be fixed?

99% of the time, it's cheaper and easier to replace the power supply.

Some computers use special power supplies and you can only get them
from the manufacturer. These are more expensive and harder to get.

I've fixed a few of them by opening them up, looking for blown fuses,
and capacitors that have "exploded". If coils have melted, or
transistors have burnt out, it's probably not worth it. Also check
for diodes and resistors that are burnt or shorted.

One had an MOV (metal oxide varistor) used as a surce protector which
exploded and burnt out a fuse. I removed the MOV and replaced the fuse.

I had really good luck with a Sony (original) Playstation. It just
needed a new fuse.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM