Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cyclone dust separators for woodwork

I have a pretty powerful extract system available in my garage (BEAM
whole house vac), but this puts huge volumes of shaving & dust down the
pipes . So thought about installing a Cyclone-separator some call
them dual bucket separators in my case the BEAM would be the 2nd bucket.
I had been looking around at various diy projects on-line for this ..
ranging from sheet metal work & leaf blowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZcmZRP-nw

Pretty rough road cone variants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO2leQV0I8w

To incredibly detailed woodwork projects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8jGu4duMk0

Nice screw top container : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEoGPITqBQA

Couple of questions ..

Assuming a Cyclone separator is a good thing . I like the idea of the
Toroidal spiral head unit,(and perhaps better performance) but saw the
wood cone as a lot of work, and teh segmented creation hours of effort.

Then came across on eBay ready made cyclone units for you to fit to
your own vac & collecting drum:
http://tinyurl.com/ju2kwrp £16 incl clips & couplers

or no toroidal simple side entry units:
http://tinyurl.com/z6zawof at around £13 cyclone only

Anybody used either of these, be interested how they perform they
are not huge items
The former is ~13 and the latter around 15 they are smooth should
give good air flow and cyclonic action compared to a rough or vertical
drum unit.

2 associated questions ..
Would be nice to sit to a screw top sturdy plastic collecting drum the
US guys seem to have easy access to these in Home Depot etc., can you
get these in UK . I did try googling but only found food grade items at £70

I would need to make up a 2 flexible hose to attach between cyclone
input and whatever power tool being used anybody know if you can buy
flexible corrugated/reinforced hoses and push fit rubber couplers to
make up custom hose length ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/14/2016 12:15 PM, rick wrote:
[...]

These do 50 mm bore, £29 for five metres. Couplers available from
similar sources, but usually rigid plastic. Probably a bit more robust
than you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-CORR... 3Hi0eV470OVkA

You can get a 2 inch hose for the basic Earlex wet & dry workshop vac.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2016 12:15, rick wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting some interesting links. A while ago I messed around
with an adapted Dyson cyclone but it wasn't very successful so now I
just use an old un-mod'd Dyson for some machines and a pukka extractor
for the planer/thicknesser. One thing I've found is that corrugations
make a big difference to airflow, so use smooth-bore pipe wherever
possible (and don't forget about static).

I've been on the verge of ditching a leaf vac so seeing the guy use one
with a cyclone has got me thinking about mating it with a traffic cone,
the question would be how to filter the outlet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can get a 2 inch hose for the basic Earlex wet & dry workshop vac.

Maybe buying a premade 2" hose will be cheaper .. I'll look on eBay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2016 12:15, rick wrote:

Couple of questions ..

Assuming a Cyclone separator is a good thing . I like the idea of the
Toroidal spiral head unit,(and perhaps better performance) but saw the
wood cone as a lot of work, and teh segmented creation hours of effort.

Then came across on eBay ready made cyclone units for you to fit to
your own vac & collecting drum:
http://tinyurl.com/ju2kwrp £16 incl clips & couplers

or no toroidal simple side entry units:
http://tinyurl.com/z6zawof at around £13 cyclone only

Anybody used either of these, be interested how they perform they
are not huge items
The former is ~13 and the latter around 15 they are smooth should
give good air flow and cyclonic action compared to a rough or vertical
drum unit.

Not tried those, but have made cyclones in the past. Its easy to build
something that will collect 95% of the stuff before it gets to the VAC.
Doing one that will capture all the dust including the dangerous fines
is much harder.

A simple one I made:

http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone/

other made by Andy D:

http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/...ques/cyclones/

Really effective cyclones needs lots of airflow. If you really want
detail, then look at:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/product+t+dust%20collection

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2016 00:40, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/product+t+dust%20collection

I like the idea of a cone and a 2nd 'drum' .... Dyson makes a fortune
selling this :-) as if its his original idea.

I'll try Rutlands .. need to find a male plug to fit the 38mm Vac inlets
fitted to the wall .... (US 1.5" fittings I assume)

Years ago I had access to a lathe and nylon rod - would have turned one
out easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2016 10:54, rick wrote:
On 15/11/2016 00:40, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/product+t+dust%20collection

I like the idea of a cone and a 2nd 'drum' .... Dyson makes a fortune
selling this :-) as if its his original idea.

I'll try Rutlands .. need to find a male plug to fit the 38mm Vac inlets
fitted to the wall .... (US 1.5" fittings I assume)

Years ago I had access to a lathe and nylon rod - would have turned one
out easily.

Rutlands and Axminster will likely have adaptor fittings. Failing that,
ebay.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2016 16:27, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/11/2016 10:54, rick wrote:
On 15/11/2016 00:40, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/product+t+dust%20collection

I like the idea of a cone and a 2nd 'drum' .... Dyson makes a fortune
selling this :-) as if its his original idea.

I'll try Rutlands .. need to find a male plug to fit the 38mm Vac inlets
fitted to the wall .... (US 1.5" fittings I assume)

Years ago I had access to a lathe and nylon rod - would have turned one
out easily.

Rutlands and Axminster will likely have adaptor fittings. Failing that,
ebay.

found suitable adapter .. looking now for 38mm (1.5") or 50mm hose
...... found sellers but prices are high .... £38 for 6m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 18:09:20 UTC, rick wrote:

found suitable adapter .. looking now for 38mm (1.5") or 50mm hose
..... found sellers but prices are high .... £38 for 6m

You could always make some.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 11:50, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 14/11/2016 17:01, wrote:

Thanks for posting some interesting links. A while ago I messed around
with an adapted Dyson cyclone but it wasn't very successful so now I
just use an old un-mod'd Dyson for some machines and a pukka extractor
for the planer/thicknesser. One thing I've found is that corrugations
make a big difference to airflow, so use smooth-bore pipe wherever
possible (and don't forget about static).

I've been on the verge of ditching a leaf vac so seeing the guy use one
with a cyclone has got me thinking about mating it with a traffic cone,
the question would be how to filter the outlet.

Surely the purpose of corrugated vacuum pipe is to resist pipe collapse
under negative pressure e.g. when you "stick" the head of the cleaner
onto an object like the floor etc but it also makes for a thin walled
and very flexible pipe as would be required for any moveable suction head.

I should have said rigid, smooth-bore ... AKA soil or waste pipe

Interestingly, regarding the leaf blower, I have a "blower" pump removed
from a spa/whirlool bath that I was thinking would work in conjunction
with a workshop cyclone "barrel" but didn't know whether the dynamics of
a blower would be the same as a vacuum specific "suction" device or is
it simply a matter of use rather than design?

It's only paddles moving air (rather than an aerofoil section) so I
(naively?) assume that it makes little difference. The chap on YouTube
seems to think it works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2016 17:01, wrote:

[...]

You can make little vacs with those sort of fans, but performance is grot compared to something designed for the job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 11:50, Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 14/11/2016 17:01, wrote:

[...]

It depends whether you want high vacuum or high volume. My kity chip
extractor has paddles and moves quite a high volume of air down the 4" pipe.