Posted to rec.woodworking
noxpurt

Default Made Cyclone for dust vac

Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex collector
and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig connected to, one at a
time, table saw, table router, miter. I dumped the current wood contents
of the vac on the floor and vac'd again with the cyclone in place. Id guess
about 95% of the material remained in the vortex container. The big
advantage being that the HEPA filter will stay clear now, maximizing
suction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Now you've done it. You used yankee engineering and made a home-made
cyclone for $3 that will only perform at 97% of the efficiency of a
$500 laboratory designed cyclone. You have probably also reduced the
airflow of your vac by another 3%, giving you an efficiency that is
only 94% of what you would have had if you spent another $497.

Great job!

Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr

Very cool. Any chance you could post a pic of it somewhere (or email
to ryan at jimryan dot com)? I'd like to set something like this up.
I assume you used the hose that came with the vac to connect to the
bucket, then another vac hose to the tool? I have a small Rigid shop
vac, will that do you think?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
A.M. Wood

I'll second that request. Or at least let us know which fittings you
used.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"noxpurt" wrote in message
Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex collector
and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig connected to, one at
a time, table saw, table router, miter. I dumped the current wood
contents of the vac on the floor and vac'd again with the cyclone in
place. Id guess about 95% of the material remained in the vortex
container. The big advantage being that the HEPA filter will stay clear
now, maximizing suction.

Good luck, but that's not my experience.
I have a commercial Triton separator. It traps 95% of the debris, but the
finest 5% goes through and collects in the filter. The vacuum stays almost
empty, but the filter clogs almost as quickly as before.
Maybe yours is a better design...

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:26:40 GMT, "noxpurt" wrote:

Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex collector
and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig connected to, one at a
time, table saw, table router, miter. I dumped the current wood contents
of the vac on the floor and vac'd again with the cyclone in place. Id guess
about 95% of the material remained in the vortex container. The big
advantage being that the HEPA filter will stay clear now, maximizing
suction.

Sorta like this??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9586

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
noxpurt

Ok...ill post some pics. I have a 9 gal Rigid so that pretty small. It
takes a day of sawing to fill that so its fine for me. Yes. I used the
shop vac hose and some additional clear hose I bought at Rocker.

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Very cool. Any chance you could post a pic of it somewhere (or email
to ryan at jimryan dot com)? I'd like to set something like this up.
I assume you used the hose that came with the vac to connect to the
bucket, then another vac hose to the tool? I have a small Rigid shop
vac, will that do you think?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
trs80

Default here is my Made Cyclone for dust vac

http://www.members.cox.net/rkruz3/index.html

Post some pics with words to describe what I did. click on a pick to
enlarge. Thanks again for the help.

"noxpurt" wrote in message
Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex collector
and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig connected to, one at
a time, table saw, table router, miter. I dumped the current wood
contents of the vac on the floor and vac'd again with the cyclone in
place. Id guess about 95% of the material remained in the vortex
container. The big advantage being that the HEPA filter will stay clear
now, maximizing suction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Torr

On 2006-05-23 09:30:59 -0500, mac davis said:

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:26:40 GMT, "noxpurt" wrote:

Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex
collector and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig
connected to, one at a time, table saw, table router, miter. I
dumped the current wood contents of the vac on the floor and vac'd
again with the cyclone in place. Id guess about 95% of the material
remained in the vortex container. The big advantage being that the
HEPA filter will stay clear now, maximizing suction.

Sorta like this??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9586

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Don't forget to read, follow and understand the instructions:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/9000-9999/9586.pdf

Torr

Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr

Thank you. Looks like a solution for me...

"Post some pics with words to describe what I did. click on a pick to
enlarge. Thanks again for the help. "

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 2006-05-23 09:30:59 -0500, mac davis said:

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:26:40 GMT, "noxpurt" wrote:

Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex
collector and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig
connected to, one at a time, table saw, table router, miter. I
dumped the current wood contents of the vac on the floor and vac'd
again with the cyclone in place. Id guess about 95% of the material
remained in the vortex container. The big advantage being that the
HEPA filter will stay clear now, maximizing suction.

Sorta like this??

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9586

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Don't forget to read, follow and understand the instructions:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/9000-9999/9586.pdf

Torr

real men don't need instructions!

(we have women to tell us where to go)