Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cyclone dust separators for woodwork

On 14/11/2016 12:15, rick wrote:

Couple of questions ..

Assuming a Cyclone separator is a good thing . I like the idea of the
Toroidal spiral head unit,(and perhaps better performance) but saw the
wood cone as a lot of work, and teh segmented creation hours of effort.

Then came across on eBay ready made cyclone units for you to fit to
your own vac & collecting drum:
http://tinyurl.com/ju2kwrp £16 incl clips & couplers

or no toroidal simple side entry units:
http://tinyurl.com/z6zawof at around £13 cyclone only

Anybody used either of these, be interested how they perform they
are not huge items
The former is ~13 and the latter around 15 they are smooth should
give good air flow and cyclonic action compared to a rough or vertical
drum unit.

Not tried those, but have made cyclones in the past. Its easy to build
something that will collect 95% of the stuff before it gets to the VAC.
Doing one that will capture all the dust including the dangerous fines
is much harder.

A simple one I made:

http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone/

other made by Andy D:

http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/...ques/cyclones/

Really effective cyclones needs lots of airflow. If you really want
detail, then look at:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

2 associated questions ..
Would be nice to sit to a screw top sturdy plastic collecting drum the
US guys seem to have easy access to these in Home Depot etc., can you
get these in UK . I did try googling but only found food grade items at
£70

I would need to make up a 2 flexible hose to attach between cyclone
input and whatever power tool being used anybody know if you can buy
flexible corrugated/reinforced hoses and push fit rubber couplers to
make up custom hose length ?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/product+t+dust%20collection

--
Cheers,