Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cyclone dust separators for woodwork

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 12:52:43 UTC, wrote:
On 19/11/2016 11:50, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 14/11/2016 17:01, wrote:

Thanks for posting some interesting links. A while ago I messed around
with an adapted Dyson cyclone but it wasn't very successful so now I
just use an old un-mod'd Dyson for some machines and a pukka extractor
for the planer/thicknesser. One thing I've found is that corrugations
make a big difference to airflow, so use smooth-bore pipe wherever
possible (and don't forget about static).

I've been on the verge of ditching a leaf vac so seeing the guy use one
with a cyclone has got me thinking about mating it with a traffic cone,
the question would be how to filter the outlet.

Surely the purpose of corrugated vacuum pipe is to resist pipe collapse
under negative pressure e.g. when you "stick" the head of the cleaner
onto an object like the floor etc but it also makes for a thin walled
and very flexible pipe as would be required for any moveable suction head.

I should have said rigid, smooth-bore ... AKA soil or waste pipe

Interestingly, regarding the leaf blower, I have a "blower" pump removed
from a spa/whirlool bath that I was thinking would work in conjunction
with a workshop cyclone "barrel" but didn't know whether the dynamics of
a blower would be the same as a vacuum specific "suction" device or is
it simply a matter of use rather than design?

It's only paddles moving air (rather than an aerofoil section) so I
(naively?) assume that it makes little difference. The chap on YouTube
seems to think it works.

You can make little vacs with those sort of fans, but performance is grot compared to something designed for the job.

NT