Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Cyclone dust separators for woodwork

On 11/14/2016 12:15 PM, rick wrote:
I have a pretty powerful extract system available in my garage (BEAM
whole house vac), but this puts huge volumes of shaving & dust down the
pipes . So thought about installing a Cyclone-separator some call
them dual bucket separators in my case the BEAM would be the 2nd bucket.
I had been looking around at various diy projects on-line for this ..
ranging from sheet metal work & leaf blowers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZcmZRP-nw

Pretty rough road cone variants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO2leQV0I8w

To incredibly detailed woodwork projects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8jGu4duMk0

Nice screw top container : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEoGPITqBQA

Couple of questions ..

Assuming a Cyclone separator is a good thing . I like the idea of the
Toroidal spiral head unit,(and perhaps better performance) but saw the
wood cone as a lot of work, and teh segmented creation hours of effort.

Then came across on eBay ready made cyclone units for you to fit to
your own vac & collecting drum:
http://tinyurl.com/ju2kwrp £16 incl clips & couplers

or no toroidal simple side entry units:
http://tinyurl.com/z6zawof at around £13 cyclone only

Anybody used either of these, be interested how they perform they
are not huge items
The former is ~13 and the latter around 15 they are smooth should
give good air flow and cyclonic action compared to a rough or vertical
drum unit.

2 associated questions ..
Would be nice to sit to a screw top sturdy plastic collecting drum the
US guys seem to have easy access to these in Home Depot etc., can you
get these in UK . I did try googling but only found food grade items at
£70

I would need to make up a 2 flexible hose to attach between cyclone
input and whatever power tool being used anybody know if you can buy
flexible corrugated/reinforced hoses and push fit rubber couplers to
make up custom hose length ?

These do 50 mm bore, £29 for five metres. Couplers available from
similar sources, but usually rigid plastic. Probably a bit more robust
than you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-CORR... 3Hi0eV470OVkA

You can get a 2 inch hose for the basic Earlex wet & dry workshop vac.