Capitol

Default [OT] Car insurance craziness

OOH! FLATTERY. WHEN I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
I DON'T CARE HOW INFORMATION IS POSTED. IT IS THE CONTENT WHICH IS
IMPORTANT.
Regards
Capitol

geoff wrote in message ...
In message , Capitol
writes
NO!!!!
Regards
Capitol

So (assuming you can drive), if you go to the continent, you also say
"**** this, I'm driving on the left hand side" and spend your time
swerving to avoid the foreign *******s driving on the wrong side of the
road ?

Ignorant **** !

Huge wrote in message ...
"Capitol" writes:
You missed the point, that, for all government employees, the pensions

Do you think you could give consideration to not top-posting,
please?

--
geoff

geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
OOH! FLATTERY. WHEN I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
I DON'T CARE HOW INFORMATION IS POSTED. IT IS THE CONTENT WHICH IS
IMPORTANT.
Regards
Capitol

And shouting isn't appreciated either moron
--
geoff
Martin Angove

In message ,
"Capitol" wrote:

Huge wrote in message ...
"Capitol" writes:

[40 lines snipped]

please?
Do you think you could give consideration to not top-posting,

You missed the point, that, for all government employees, the pensions
"Capitol" writes:
Huge wrote in message ...

Capitol
Regards
NO!!!!

Not a problem. Unless you wanted me to see your postings, that is.

No, I think, I'd rather you retained your vital delusions of self
importance in telling other people what do! So don't bother to open your
mind to a different viewpoint.
Regards
Capitol

Sorry, Huge has a point on this one:

1: Consistency (bottom, OR top) aids readability. Everyone doing
different makes it very difficult to follow a thread.

2: Bottom posting is the accepted way of doing things in practically
every newsgroup since the year dot. (Ok, "post" posting is more like
it; the principle of replying *after* the bit you are replying to is
what counts)

3: Almost everyone on this ng bottom posts, and many will correct
previous top postings, so the occasional top poster *really* mucks
things up.

4: A short 1 or 2 line top post is often missed (unless I'm unusual)
when there's a large posting history, as I see the history and
automatically page to the first non-indented bit of text (my reader
colours the indents differently, first indent gets green, second red.
Non quoted text is black and thus instantly recognisable).

Having said all that, he did rather bombard you with it, so perhaps he
could have been a bit more gentle.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
geoff

In message , Martin Angove
writes
In message ,
"Capitol" wrote:
[...]

???????

He's consistently top posted despite continual requests, but refuses to
comply with the convention. He repeatedly comes up with the childish
arrogant reply of this is how I do it, like it or lump it.

--
geoff
Capitol

Jim Ley wrote in message ...
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:49:48 +0100, "Capitol"
wrote:

Jim Ley wrote in message ...
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:16:43 +0100, "Capitol"
wrote:

But the dollar is still at least temporarily, strong and the economy is
growing again. Their government bond rates also have risen over the

past
few weeks IIRC.

The US dollar has dropped 30% against the Euro and other currencies in
the last few months, the 4% recent rise isn't relevant...

Jim.

The Dollar is where it was about a year or so ago relative to the

Pound
and the euro.

No it's not.... My 10 day old economist (I'm in vancouver and it
seems I get it way late here unfortunately) has EU-$ at 88 now and 101
a year ago, pound is 61 now and 65 a year ago.

I did say a year or so ago, the euro now is currently at the same level
relative to the dollar as in early 2000 ie 1.129ish, bearing in mind that
the interest rate for the $ is so low and the political uncertainties, I
suspect that the Euro will decline relative to the dollar for the rest of
this year at least. Over the same period, the £ has varied between $1.39 to
1.67 at least, I've had to watch the exchange rates very carefully to time
money transfers to the US to get the optimum rates.
I found this useful for the history.
http://www.thefinancials.com/currenc..._FX_Forex_Majo
rsHome.html

I presume you read the Economist article on the state of house prices,
there the opinion was that interest rates had to rise AIUI.

So it's reasonably similar to the pound yes, it's way different on the
Euro.

This I am told is the view of the City who are now
forecasting increases in all interest rates.

Right, "the city" bond prices don't have an awful lot of upward
suggestiveness in them. Looking at what people actually do with their
money, rather than what the pundits say is often a little more useful,
it's certainly at least as useful.

I agree with those comments, but with returns on shares now outstripping the
majority of government bonds, I still believe the trend for money lending
is up.

Jim.

Capitol

OOH! MORE FLATTERY!
Capitol

geoff wrote in message ...
In message , Capitol
writes
OOH! FLATTERY. WHEN I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO

DO.
I DON'T CARE HOW INFORMATION IS POSTED. IT IS THE CONTENT WHICH IS
IMPORTANT.
Regards
Capitol

And shouting isn't appreciated either moron
--
geoff

Jim Ley

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:48:19 +0100, "Capitol"
wrote:

No it's not.... My 10 day old economist (I'm in vancouver and it
seems I get it way late here unfortunately) has EU-$ at 88 now and 101
a year ago, pound is 61 now and 65 a year ago.

I did say a year or so ago, the euro now is currently at the same level
relative to the dollar as in early 2000 ie 1.129ish,

a year or so is 3 years, pretty wide error bars you accept, you sound
like my DIY efforts.

Jim.
Capitol

SEE REPLY TO HUGE & GEOFF
Capitol

Bob Eager wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:13:24 UTC, "Capitol"
wrote:

OOH! FLATTERY. WHEN I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO

DO.
I DON'T CARE HOW INFORMATION IS POSTED. IT IS THE CONTENT WHICH IS
IMPORTANT.

What a silly little boy.

*plonk*
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Essjay001

Andrew McKay wrote:
Unemployment figures are another one that really annoy the hell out of
me (and I happen to have direct experience with this one in the last
12 months). Gordon keeps beating on about how unemployment is less
than 1m and the lowest for 40 years.

Some of us cant even qualify for JSA at all
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Essjay001

Capitol wrote:
snip
I don't call 3% wonderfully low inflation. From memory, I think we
had a 100 year period with no inflation a couple of centuries back!
I believe the US inflation figure is in the 1% region, but they just
reduced taxes!

3% is very high if you are not working. Bills still have to be paid
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Essjay001

Michael McNeil wrote:
"Essjay001" wrote in message
What amazes me is that we have to insure each person to drive a car.
I used to live in the Middle East (Sultanate of OMAN) in 2000. I
bought a new car, a MATIZ only £3000. I insured the 'car' for about
£100 fully comp. That insurance meant the car was insured.

Sounds like a good place to start a touring holliday.

Yup you could tour war zones

--

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
OOH! MORE FLATTERY!
Capitol

Hardly

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Ben Blaney
writes
Capitol wrote:

OOH! MORE FLATTERY!
Capitol

You are a ****ing ****.

Ben - you're so good with wuurds

--
geoff
Ben Blaney

geoff wrote:

In message , Ben Blaney
writes
Capitol wrote:

OOH! MORE FLATTERY!
Capitol

You are a ****ing ****.

Ben - you're so good with wuurds

"Capitol" makes it so easy for me!

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200

geoff

In message , Ben Blaney
writes
geoff wrote:

In message , Ben Blaney
writes
Capitol wrote:

OOH! MORE FLATTERY!
Capitol

You are a ****ing ****.

Ben - you're so good with wuurds

"Capitol" makes it so easy for me!

D'you think she's Stan's SO?
--
geoff
David

In article , Essjay001
writes
What amazes me is that we have to insure each person to drive a car. I used
to live in the Middle East (Sultanate of OMAN) in 2000. I bought a new car,
a MATIZ only £3000. I insured the 'car' for about £100 fully comp. That
insurance meant the car was insured. Anyone who had a valid licence and my
permission could drive it on that insurance.

Its the same here *but* you're only covered third party, was that the
same in Oman?
A good test of insurance is making a claim, as a company we had real
problems in the middle east

--
David

parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:
Essjay001 wrote:

What amazes me is that we have to insure each person to drive a car. I used
to live in the Middle East (Sultanate of OMAN) in 2000. I bought a new car,
a MATIZ only £3000. I insured the 'car' for about £100 fully comp. That
insurance meant the car was insured. Anyone who had a valid licence and my
permission could drive it on that insurance. A UK licence was legally valid.
All insurance in the UK is a total rip off which is why so many people drive
with out it.

ISTR that when I first started driving (actually riding m/cycles) that
this was the case here. That would be 1974. Anyone confirm/deny this?

In the 60s and 70s yes, it was still possible to get 'any driver'
insurance cover. I think it just sort of faded out as people wanted
to save money by going for limited driver policies. (It also fulfils
people's desire not to allow others to drive their car.)

--
Chris Green )
Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:59:39 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

Some of us cant even qualify for JSA at all

I qualified last year, despite remaining a director of my own Ltd. The
fact was that the company had no income and no reserves, so couldn't
pay salary. Once the necessary checks had been made that we weren't
trying it on the Job Centre had no problem paying contributions-based
JSA - it is an entitlement for all, providing that you have a healthy
record of paying NI. C-based JSA is limited to a maximum of 26 weeks,
after that you get diddly squat unless you qualify for income-based
JSA (and magically after 26 weeks when you lose C-based you
mysteriously become "employed" again as far as Gordon Brown is
concerned - go figure!).

It's the I-based JSA that is nasty. Once you fall into that trap you
are into fantasy land where the Job Centre can tell you which job you
are going to apply for and you can't say "it doesn't pay enough!".
Basically if the local dairy need someone to clean the cow dung out of
the sheds, you are an instant candidate.

Have you noticed that B&Q seem to have lots of helpful staff in the
sheds recently? They don't appear to be the geriatrics of a couple of
years ago.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Andrew McKay

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:20:30 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

Factually incorrect OMAN is a wet state

Apologies, I assumed it would be the same as Saudi where booze isn't
tolerated.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Martin Angove

In message ,
geoff wrote:

In message , Martin Angove
writes
In message ,
"Capitol" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, ok, point taken. Sometimes I'm too pacifistic for my own good.

Not sure all the bad mouthing and swearing helps though - perhaps a
simple tactic of ignoring him (or killfiling him) will help regulars.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Hi! I'm a tagline virus! Steal me & join in the fun!
Essjay001

wrote:

Factually incorrect OMAN is a wet state

Apologies, I assumed it would be the same as Saudi where booze isn't
tolerated.

Oman and the UAE are quite westernised. Now that the oil is running out they
are turning to tourism and people won't go on holiday if they cant get a
drink. You watch Kuwait will be the next to relax alcohol laws. Most of the
new hotels there have bar in the design but for the moment they are called
coffee bars
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Capitol

NEEDS TO BE WITH SUCH A LIMITED VOCABULARY.
Capitol
Ben Blaney wrote in message ...
geoff wrote:

In message , Ben Blaney
writes
Capitol wrote:

OOH! MORE FLATTERY!
Capitol

You are a ****ing ****.

Ben - you're so good with wuurds

"Capitol" makes it so easy for me!

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200
"We stopped only for fuel"

Essjay001

parish wrote:
Not to mention we poor *******s with Mortgage Endowment Policies :-(

Thats another story.
Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

geoff

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
OOH! FLATTERY. WHEN I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, THEN YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO
DO. I DON'T CARE HOW INFORMATION IS POSTED. IT IS THE CONTENT WHICH IS
IMPORTANT.

Then why are you wasting bandwidth?

Stuff that, I demand to know why he's wasting oxygen that could be more
usefully employed keeping a whelk alive.

--
A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you...

It's not big and it's not clever
--
geoff

Essjay001

David wrote:
In article , Essjay001
writes

Its the same here *but* you're only covered third party, was that the
same in Oman?

Not as far as I am aware

A good test of insurance is making a claim, as a company we had real
problems in the middle east

Where abouts?
--

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

parish

Owain wrote:

"Essjay001" wrote
| I don't call 3% wonderfully low inflation. From memory, I think we
| had a 100 year period with no inflation a couple of centuries back!
| I believe the US inflation figure is in the 1% region, but they just
| reduced taxes!
| 3% is very high if you are not working. Bills still have to be paid

3% inflation is very high compared to savings interest rates; many people
with moderate savings are seeing their savings dwindle every month against
inflation.

Not to mention we poor *******s with Mortgage Endowment Policies :-(

Owain

Andrew McKay

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:47:45 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

Not to mention we poor *******s with Mortgage Endowment Policies :-(

We cashed ours in a few months back. Represented a loss on the
original investment, but it was minimal compared with the loss that
would have occurred had we run to term.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Jim Ley

wrote:

Not to mention we poor *******s with Mortgage Endowment Policies :-(

We cashed ours in a few months back. Represented a loss on the
original investment, but it was minimal compared with the loss that
would have occurred had we run to term.

How do you know what the loss would be in the future, and how do you
know that you're going to get a better return on them from whatever
inenstment you stick in?

Jim.

Capitol

Hi, as about the only reasoning response, I thought you might like to hear
some reasons.
The current standard of newsreader is Microsoft OE. This is a top
posting protocol. Bottom posted replies are a pain in the butt for quick
reading of the letters in a theme. Many responses are in fact mid posted
where the topic is more complex. If you want to see the problems of mid and
bottom posting in a crap news reader, simply look up a complex thread in
Google and try to follow it. It is much easier to follow in top posted OE.

I have seen a number of responses to various other posters in this
newsgroup from a particular pedant who endeavours to promote yesterdays
newsgroups standards as the Bible for tomorrow. When he attacked my style of
posting I responded and will continue always to do so. IMO There is no style
of posting which is best. If the news reader cannot cope with OE style
correspondence, then I regret to say, that it is a minority taste. Whether
the content is worth reading is another matter. However, I was very
impressed with the generally low literary and intellectual quality of the
response I received. The education system is certainly failing.
If the DIY skills are down to this level, then IMM is right!
I shall continue to post in my current style, particularly if it upsets the
usenet pedants who are still Canute like, refusing to accept that the
present standard is Microsoft and top posting.
Congratulations on being the only respondent with a sense of reason and
proportion.
Regards
Capitol

Martin Angove wrote in message ...
In message ,
"Capitol" wrote:

Huge wrote in message ...
"Capitol" writes:

[40 lines snipped]

please?

"Capitol" writes:
Huge wrote in message ...

[...]

geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
[...]

Two of a kind eh?

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:43:48 UTC, geoff wrote:

Capitol

Two of a kind eh?

Pity you had to quote it all...I've already killfiled the Capitol
Crap...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

geoff

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:43:48 UTC, geoff wrote:

Capitol

Two of a kind eh?

Pity you had to quote it all...I've already killfiled the Capitol
Crap...

Sorry about that -I'm ignoring him too from now on as, I understand are
quite a few others
--
geoff
Essjay001

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:43:48 UTC, geoff wrote:

Capitol

Two of a kind eh?

Pity you had to quote it all...I've already killfiled the Capitol
Crap...

"Killfile" is such a childish response, you guys love all this macho stuff
don't you?

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

John Armstrong

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:22:09 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

Capitol wrote:

The current standard of newsreader is Microsoft OE. This is a top
posting protocol.

Posting style isn't a protocol; OE merely puts the cursor at the top
when replying to a post. Ctrl-End will shift it to the bottom.

To quote a recent entry on a.h.b-o-u :

Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be
is like ****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole
happened to be.

--
John
Essjay001

I'm with you Capitol, though the reason I tend to top post is twofold:-

1. every office I have ever worked in MOD or government the latest
correspondence is placed on top of the file and that has been a convention
since before the computer was invented.

2. those people who insist on no top posting tend not to snip resulting in
my having to scroll through piles of clutter before I get to the point. It
really F***s me off! It's a bit like the guy who, when you ask him a
question, he repeats it the question before he answers. Damn that is so
annoying.

As for the arguement that top posting places the answer before the question
what a load of crap. When I read a top posted answer I have already read the
original question in the previous post I don't need to read it again.

That fact that some people 'killfile' top posters makes them very childish.
Just because a person top posts doesn't mean he has nothing to say. However,
having said that we may end up talking to each other.

Steve R

Capitol wrote:
[...]

"Capitol" wrote:

Huge wrote in message ...
"Capitol" writes:

[40 lines snipped]

please?

wrote in message ...

[...]

Martin Angove

wrote:

Not to mention we poor *******s with Mortgage Endowment Policies :-(

We cashed ours in a few months back. Represented a loss on the
original investment, but it was minimal compared with the loss that
would have occurred had we run to term.

We deliberately didn't. Before we even met, my wife and I both bought
smallish houses with endowment mortgages. When she moved into the
current house six years ago my wife kept the endowment but the "extra"
mortgage was repayment. When I sold my house to move in, I kept the
endowment going. When we move again (soon) we will not be intending to
rely on anything more than the currently predicted value of the
endowments.

It just seemed like the best thing to do. Hers has 13 (IIRC) years to
run, mine 16 or so. Who knows what will happen in that time, but the
penalties for cashing in (several tens of percent) mean that it is (IMO)
a far better bet to stay with it - about the only thing that would make
it worse would be if the economy deflated, and I think there are a lot
of people with a vested interest in stopping that happening. In fact,
there's nothing to say that inflation/rates/returns/stock markets won't
recover from their present low point and rise again.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a gamble.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... On the other hand..you have five different fingers
parish

Capitol wrote:

The current standard of newsreader is Microsoft OE. This is a top
posting protocol.

Posting style isn't a protocol; OE merely puts the cursor at the top
when replying to a post. Ctrl-End will shift it to the bottom.

Bottom posted replies are a pain in the butt for quick
reading of the letters in a theme.

I fail to understand the logic of that statement. In NGs like this one
posts tend to be question and answer sessions so if you top post then
the answer appears before the question - have you ever seen a FAQ
written that way?

Many responses are in fact mid posted
where the topic is more complex. If you want to see the problems of mid and
bottom posting in a crap news reader, simply look up a complex thread in
Google and try to follow it. It is much easier to follow in top posted OE.

In my experience, when you use Google groups the matches are often in
the middle of a thread and, if they are top posted, then you have to
scroll down to read what it is a reply to.

If the news reader cannot cope with OE style
correspondence, then I regret to say, that it is a minority taste.

It isn't that the *newsreaders* can't *cope* with top posting, it's the
people who don't like it. It certainly isn't a minority taste; quite the
contrary in fact. In the majority of Usenet groups top posting is
frowned upon.

usenet pedants who are still Canute like, refusing to accept that the
present standard is Microsoft and top posting.

With respect Capitol, Microsoft is *not* the standard. The Internet is a
platform-independent. OS-independent, hardware-independent medium;
no-one owns it, the standards are defined by agreement, e.g. RFCs and
the W3C (of which MS is a member).

Asserting that OE is the standard for news is the same as those who
assert that Internet Explorer is the standard for the Web and code
webpages full of IE-specific code that doesn't display properly, or at
all, in other browsers. Now, if they are just their own personal
webpages, then they are free to do that, but if they are coding webpages
for commercial sites (by which I mean sites that are selling on-line)
then they stand to lose business for that company (as am example, Argos
has lost business from me because their site only worked in IE - it now
works in all browsers). They may (and do) argue that non-IE browsers
only account for 5% of web users (a figure that is doubtless wildly
inaccurate) but I bet you'll not find a bean counter in the world who
would shrug their shoulds at lost revenue and say, "it doesn't matter,
it's only 5%".

I have read, on more than one occassion, people with the view that MS is
the standard (for the web) make statements like, "stuff the W3C; MS sets
the standard", which shows an incredible ignorance of what the web and
the W3C is. MS is one of many companies and groups who ratify the
standards for the Web and IE, since v5, has supported these standards.

Capitol

Welcome!
Regards
Capitol

[...]