Capitol

Default OT: Netiquette (Was [OT] Car insurance craziness)

geoff wrote in message ...
In message , Essjay001
writes
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Essjay001 wrote:
I don't - I'm using RISCOS with an e-mail prog that's several years
old. But easy to use, and conforms to what the *majority* of people
want.

So why are the majority not using it?

But the *majority* of people who read newsgroups *do* use a newsreader
that isn't OE. Can't you see that?

Yes I can but then it has more users than any other in fact it has more
users than most of the others put together.

I give up,

--
geoff

Oh, come on, that's not like you!!
Regards
Capitol

Capitol

OK, just to clarify the definition of "say 98%". I was referring to
consumer market PCs. This, I think, is "uk.d-i-y" newsgroup, which to me
means that it is a hopefully skilled, amateur, consumer oriented public
forum. I've never seen a consumer oriented PC using other than Microsoft
being sold over the past 3 years in the English(sometimes!) speaking
markets. Walmart have tried to sell various flavours of Linux, but the
penetration is too low to register. As I said, if the number of participants
is less than the nominal 98% then the group is failing to attract a wide
enough user base. This may suit the current users, but all organisations
which I have seen which did not maximise their market penetration have
failed to survive!
Anyway, it's been most entertaining.
OT- I found a pack of 60 Stanley knife blades in the local £ shop yesterday,
someone may be interested. Sorry Geoff, I don't think they travel down
wires.
Regards
Capitol

Bob Eager

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:47:30 UTC, "Essjay001"
wrote:

No but you obviously failed Reading and comprehension

I expect you'd fail an exam on Basingstoke...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Essjay001

geoff wrote:
I give up,

I wish!

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
geoff wrote:
But the *majority* of people who read newsgroups *do* use a newsreader
that isn't OE. Can't you see that?

Yes I can but then it has more users than any other in fact it has more
users than most of the others put together.

I give up,

Best thing to do, I reckon.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

geoff

In message , Essjay001
writes
geoff wrote:
I give up,

I wish!

But that requires a functional brain
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Capitol
writes

No.

--
geoff

Spoilsport!
Regards
Capitol

Just tired

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Capitol
writes
[...]

CPC messed up one of my orders
I asked for 100, they sent 500 - enough for me for the time being
--
geoff
parish

Capitol wrote:
OK, just to clarify the definition of "say 98%". I was referring to
consumer market PCs. This, I think, is "uk.d-i-y" newsgroup, which to me
means that it is a hopefully skilled, amateur, consumer oriented public
forum. I've never seen a consumer oriented PC using other than Microsoft
being sold over the past 3 years in the English(sometimes!) speaking
markets. Walmart have tried to sell various flavours of Linux, but the
penetration is too low to register.

Sounds like a M$ press release to me :-)

As I said, if the number of participants
is less than the nominal 98% then the group is failing to attract a wide
enough user base. This may suit the current users, but all organisations

No, what it shows is that the majority of posters to this NG are smarter
than your average PC user.

which I have seen which did not maximise their market penetration have
failed to survive!
Anyway, it's been most entertaining.
OT- I found a pack of 60 Stanley knife blades in the local £ shop yesterday,

Look, I know that you've lost face here, but this isn't Japan, there's
no need to commit hari-kiri(sp?)!

someone may be interested. Sorry Geoff, I don't think they travel down
wires.
Regards
Capitol

Essjay001

geoff wrote:
In message , Essjay001
writes
geoff wrote:
I give up,

I wish!
But that requires a functional brain

Sticks and stones........................

--

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

John Schmitt

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:22:49 +0100, geoff
wrote:

No but you obviously failed Reading and comprehension

Not mastered the use of capitals yet then?

I don't think it is a hanging crime to let down a town in Berkshire,
and just because someone in London gets lost from time to time
it doesn't necessarily mean that they are a complete idiot.
However, I fail to see what this has to do with DIY. Perhaps a bit
of thinking before posting before thinking would be a Good Thing.
It all started with the political arguments and look how downhill
things have gone since then. Usenet political arguments seem
to invariably generate more heat than light and can even destroy
newsgroups. Why is it when people have nothing of value to
say, they say it? Dignified silence, that's the way I do it. Makes
you look far more intelligent and learned.

John Schmitt

--

My other .sig is also a .sig

Martin Angove

In message ,
Tony Williams wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman wrote:

Tony Williams wrote:
Plus a certain caution about having my means of earning
money totally reliant on later OS' from RISCOS Ltd.

I haven't bothered either.

A RO4 machine passed through my hands. I can't say
that I saw any significant improvements, nor did I
particularly like it.

Plus being a cheapskate.

Nothing wrong with not wanting the latest thing regardless.

It seems to me that the main thing that each new OS does is
consume yet more of the uP's horsepower. I paid for that
horsepower, it is *mine*, and I resent a fat+weak OS that
wastes much of it on doing the pretty bells and whistles.

Well, as far as I'm concerned (SA pre rev-T) RO4 actually provided some
small performance/speed benefits over RO3.7. I gather that if my SA was
a rev-T or later I'd have seen even more improvements. I like the F+
format (long names/small FAU) although the idea of keeping a drive map
in RAM is a bit odd to my mind (mine takes 1 meg)... but then it's never
(yet) been a problem, despite a few power-switch shutdowns. So, IME
only, a later OS certainly hasn't "consumed yet more of the uP's
horsepower".

OTOH, CLI - Arthur - RO2 - RO3.1 probably did.

To go back a few steps...

116 Messenger-Pro/2.61 (MsgServe/2.02) (RISC-OS/4.02) NewsHound

Is probably me and me alone.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html