Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windows 10 updating

Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

If you tell it you have a metered connection you can avoid having
(almost) all updates. Then when it's convenient, change that setting
and you get them. Since Microsoft make so may cock-ups, it's good to be
a month or two behind on updates.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

I stirred a few comments in the other group when I said that I had W10
updates disabled
Before the 1607 update it was possible to disable them entirely. They've
patched it out now which is why I'm not updating my W10 machine.

I expect it will stop working at some point and sulk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Page" wrote in message
On 23/10/2016 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

If you tell it you have a metered connection you can avoid having (almost)
all updates. Then when it's convenient, change that setting and you get
them. Since Microsoft make so may cock-ups, it's good to be a month or
two behind on updates.

unfortunately, when you do this you are still going to get the most recent
one "untested"

how can you avoid this

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
news

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

I stirred a few comments in the other group when I said that I had W10
updates disabled
Before the 1607 update it was possible to disable them entirely. They've
patched it out now which is why I'm not updating my W10 machine.

I expect it will stop working at some point and sulk

Mine's doing that already :-(

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

And in any case, does it actually work when not connected to some 'cloud'?

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/2016 11:30, Lee wrote:

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

I stirred a few comments in the other group when I said that I had W10
updates disabled
Before the 1607 update it was possible to disable them entirely. They've
patched it out now which is why I'm not updating my W10 machine.

I expect it will stop working at some point and sulk

We've done this to death in the other NG, but I'm hoping you'll fall
off-line.

Meant in the nicest possible way, and for the reasons discussed there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

It's no worse than Apple. They send down a bunch of updates. I dutifully
install them. Things stop working. It's then possible, but extremely
complicated to undo. At least with Windows you can then roll it back.

Then, if you're smug about linux, there's this:
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/...-warns-red-hat

Really, you're best off going back to the abacus and sending messages by
hand in a cleft stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

how can you avoid this

Don't use Windows 10. Simples.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message ...

On 23/10/2016 11:30, Lee wrote:

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

I stirred a few comments in the other group when I said that I had W10
updates disabled
Before the 1607 update it was possible to disable them entirely. They've
patched it out now which is why I'm not updating my W10 machine.

I expect it will stop working at some point and sulk

We've done this to death in the other NG, but I'm hoping you'll fall
off-line.

Meant in the nicest possible way, and for the reasons discussed there.

OOI which "other" NG?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Win 7 has been the same.

I'd guess security. As a hacker or whatever finds an easy route in, they
issue an update to close it.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Never go online. Then security updates won't matter.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

how can you avoid this

Don't use Windows 10. Simples.

Just the same has been happening with Win7.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

And in any case, does it actually work when not connected to some 'cloud'?

Of course most computers work without the cloud.
It's very possible to get your Google fix etc from an Android Smart
phone and then copy anything from the phone to your computer without the
computer being connected.
Microsoft cannot reach your computer like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 13:15, Bod wrote:

And in any case, does it actually work when not connected to some
'cloud'?

Of course most computers work without the cloud.

TNP lives in a world where you can't pop into a shop and pick up a box
with an OS in it and install it without an internet connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 13:15, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

And in any case, does it actually work when not connected to some
'cloud'?

Of course most computers work without the cloud.

Office 365?

It's very possible to get your Google fix etc from an Android Smart
phone and then copy anything from the phone to your computer without the
computer being connected.
Microsoft cannot reach your computer like that.

Don't be obtuse.

I said 'own' not 'reach' anyway.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 13:15, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
[...]

ok, but in reality, how can Microsoft take back your Windows
installation or affect/control it in any way if you never go online.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 13:33, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 13:15, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
[...]

I cant believe you actually said that.

Many years ago i got a worried phone call from a client 'My customer's
code is saying "indirection error: Contact support" What does that mean?'

"That means you have sold him the demonstration code I gave you that
has a time limit, and you owe me royalties".

Before the Internet even existed.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 10:33:24 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

You might get a more specific response by posting your question in the
alt.com.os.windows-10
group or even reading some of the existing posts in there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It controls
the whole thing.

And in any case, does it actually work when not connected to some 'cloud'?

Of course it does.

--
All political activity makes complete sense once the proposition that all
government is basically a self-legalising protection racket, is fully

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

It's no worse than Apple. They send down a bunch of updates. I dutifully
install them. Things stop working.

Never had that with iOS.

It's then possible, but extremely complicated to undo. At least with
Windows you can then roll it back.

If there is a problem with iOS it gets fixed quickly.

Then, if you're smug about linux, there's this:
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/...-warns-red-hat

Really, you're best off going back to the abacus and sending messages by
hand in a cleft stick.

How odd that you dont do that yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

how can you avoid this

Don't use Windows 10. Simples.

Just the same has been happening with Win7.

no it's not

with Win 7 you can accept each new update manually (it's awkward to do, but
not impossible)

With Win 10 you either set your PC in a mode that no downloads are
installed,

or get all the "new" ones all at once

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 13:33, Bod wrote:
ok, but in reality, how can Microsoft take back your Windows
installation or affect/control it in any way if you never go online.

Just have a look at the event logs of a PC running Office 365.

You will see many events of this general form:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP
Date: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss
Event ID: 1003
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
Application Id=0ff1ce15-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Now just think what that might be about....

And what might happen if the check fails....

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

with Win 7 you can accept each new update manually (it's awkward to do, but
not impossible)

With Win 10 you either set your PC in a mode that no downloads are
installed, or get all the "new" ones all at once

Win10's method is coming to Win7 ...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/10/07/more-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-1-servicing-changes/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

or get all the "new" ones all at once

That's the way it works for Win7 now. All or nothing. Is the view nice
from that stone you've been living under?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/2016 17:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

It's no worse than Apple. They send down a bunch of updates. I
dutifully install them. Things stop working.

Never had that with iOS.

I preferred the old way of unlocking using a swipe, but Apple says I can't.

I have an apple lead and charger, but the lead's too short so I included
a USB extension lead. The latest update stops it charging.

The ipad's quite nice, but I really won't buy Apple again.

It's then possible, but extremely complicated to undo. At least with
Windows you can then roll it back.

If there is a problem with iOS it gets fixed quickly.

I had no problem with the old version. Now I have two annoyances thrust
on me as an update that I can't roll back at all easily.

Then, if you're smug about linux, there's this:
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/...-warns-red-hat

Really, you're best off going back to the abacus and sending messages
by hand in a cleft stick.

How odd that you dont do that yourself.

Rod, you really don't understand irony, do you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/16 13:33, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 13:15, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
[...]

Well done.

Before the Internet even existed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/10/16 11:24, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/16 10:33, Broadback wrote:
Twice in the last 24 hours my computer has rebooted and spent a long
time updating Windows 10. Why 2 large updates in such a short
period?

Because one depended on the other.
Because its ****ing winders.

You dont think you own that computer do you? Microsoft owns it.

Only when you go online. Microsuck has no control when offline.

Don't be silly. It owns the operating system you are renting. It
controls the whole thing.

It's no worse than Apple. They send down a bunch of updates. I
dutifully install them. Things stop working.

Never had that with iOS.

I preferred the old way of unlocking using a swipe, but Apple says I
can't.

You never have to install an iOS update, that is always optional.

I have an apple lead and charger, but the lead's too short so I included a
USB extension lead. The latest update stops it charging.

You never have to install an iOS update, that is always optional.

The ipad's quite nice, but I really won't buy Apple again.

More fool you. Androids are much worse, no updates at all quite
quickly so you are ****ed if you want one of the improvements.

It's then possible, but extremely complicated to undo. At least with
Windows you can then roll it back.

If there is a problem with iOS it gets fixed quickly.

I had no problem with the old version. Now I have two annoyances thrust on
me as an update that I can't roll back at all easily.

You never have to install an iOS update, that is always optional.

And you could roll back very easily if you had done
that when you noticed something you didnt like.

Then, if you're smug about linux, there's this:
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/...-warns-red-hat

Really, you're best off going back to the abacus and sending messages by
hand in a cleft stick.

How odd that you dont do that yourself.

Rod, you really don't understand irony, do you?

That isnt irony, just mindless silly stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 17:45, tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , tim...
escribió:

how can you avoid this

Don't use Windows 10. Simples.

Just the same has been happening with Win7.

no it's not

with Win 7 you can accept each new update manually (it's awkward to do,
but not impossible)

With Win 10 you either set your PC in a mode that no downloads are
installed,

or get all the "new" ones all at once

That is only true for the home editions.
They are the ones that need automatic updates.
People that understand computers probably use the pro version (so they
can encrypt, etc.) and can chose what happens.

Date: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss
Event ID: 1003
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
Application Id=0ff1ce15-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Now just think what that might be about....

And what might happen if the check fails....

Office 365 is not windows 10 so it isn't really relevant.

Date: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss
Event ID: 1003
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
Application Id=0ff1ce15-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Now just think what that might be about....

And what might happen if the check fails....

Office 365 is not windows 10 so it isn't really relevant.

So controlling what applications you can run isn't affecting or controlling?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

tim... wrote:

get all the "new" ones all at once

That is only true for the home editions.
They are the ones that need automatic updates.
People that understand computers probably use the pro version (so they
can encrypt, etc.) and can chose what happens.

pro and home editions update in the same way, you may be thinking of
enterprise edition ...

Date: dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss
Event ID: 1003
Task Category: None
Level: Information
The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check.
Application Id=0ff1ce15-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Now just think what that might be about....

And what might happen if the check fails....

Office 365 is not windows 10 so it isn't really relevant.

So controlling what applications you can run isn't affecting or
controlling?

You know that you are buying a "cloud" product with 365 so you expect it
to talk to the "cloud".

It doesn't apply to windows 10 or to stand alone office products where
you do not need an internet connection, ever, unless you want to
download some updates and even then you don't need to use the PC running
the software.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 20:04, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

tim... wrote:

get all the "new" ones all at once

That is only true for the home editions.
They are the ones that need automatic updates.
People that understand computers probably use the pro version (so they
can encrypt, etc.) and can chose what happens.

pro and home editions update in the same way, you may be thinking of
enterprise edition ...

There is no difference between pro and enterprise apart from licensing
AFAICS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions

--
Adrian C

Updating these wardrobes! VC25 UK diy 28 April 11th 13 07:39 PM
Updating a property soon to be sold Bert Coules UK diy 73 July 29th 12 09:55 AM
updating bathroom, need some advice! benpost UK diy 4 August 22nd 08 11:24 PM
Updating old house to 200 Amp service? Dave Home Repair 10 January 14th 06 03:06 PM
updating wardrobe doors Frisket UK diy 6 September 11th 03 08:02 AM