Junior Member

Default Updating these wardrobes!

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x
Attached Thumbnails
Updating these wardrobes!-image-jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 9, 12:57*pm, VC25 wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

VC25

Well pictures would help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bod bod is offline

On 09/04/2013 15:10, harry wrote:
On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

VC25

Well pictures would help.

Some sort of gold coloured trim around the edge to match the handles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

VC25

Well pictures would help.

Some sort of gold coloured trim around the edge to match the handles?

I can't see these pictures.
Not pikey are they????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

VC25

Well pictures would help.

Like the one in the link, you mean?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 12:57, VC25 wrote:

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Get rid of the handles and you have an empty canvas. My own favourite is
to pin lengths of small beading to give the illusion of panelled doors.
Paint the inner parts a different colour? World's your oyster
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/13 12:57, VC25 wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

depends what they are made of.

you can if the doors are flat, stick wallpaer on them and add faux
framed edges, or take them off and spray with car paint. Metallic flake
pink for a 70's glam rock effect...

Or replace them entirely...

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 07:10:50 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:57*pm, VC25 wrote:

|Filename: image.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Pics won't show in a text-only newsgroup. Put them up in:

If you have a website, a temporary folder (that is preferably one
not crawled by search engines).

In a public folder in Dropbox

One of the free on-line picture hosting sites like Photobucket.

Well pictures would help.

She tried.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they are standard sizes and you are willing to cough up, you might
be able to get new doors in, say, pine, which might look a little less
bleak and a little more homely.

Apart from that though, I would say, leave well alone. At least
they're simple and unpretentious, so while not exactly the last word
in fashion, they will not clash with anything else you might choose to
do with the room either. Much better that than something which
dominates the room so much that you are limited in what else you can
do.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 11:57:26 +0000, VC25
wrote:

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Pics won't show in a text-only newsgroup.

Worked fine for me using Thunderbird.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/04/2013 12:57, VC25 wrote:

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Hi Vicky

Unless I am very much mistaken, those are white melamine. If so, the
choices are either to replace them or paint them. Replacement is quite
expensive, so I suggest that you google for "Painting melamine doors".
You'll find various articles saying that it's quite hard to get a decent
finish.

Bear in mind that a big flat expanse of doors in, say, blue won't look
much better than they do in white.

Putting some sort of panelling on helps break it up. My preference would
be to get some MDF squares pre-cut and screw them on. The trouble with
beading is that the corners are a bit tricky without tools to mitre them
at 45 degrees.

You need to decide how much you are prepared to spend, really, bot in
terms of time and money.

Geoff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

At the risk of being sexist, it's worth a look here
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property...t-ever-look-OK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 12:57, VC25 wrote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Difficult to say without knowing what your style is, how good an artist
you are or how skilled you may be at DIY. You have had a few other
suggestions. I have no particular problem with large areas of white
melamine, but, if I wanted to change them, I would probably paint a copy
of a Mucha or Dali painting that I liked onto them.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

VC25 wrote:

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

A few clues as to what you consider to be your style would be
helpful.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Pics won't show in a text-only newsgroup.

Worked fine for me using Thunderbird.

Colin Bignell

Not via a server which does not carry the pic, though!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Pics won't show in a text-only newsgroup.

Worked fine for me using Thunderbird.

Colin Bignell

Not via a server which does not carry the pic, though!

It comes through here (The german server) as a link, and clicking on the
diybanter.com URL opens the .jpg file in Firefox as normal.

Of course, if your server strips URLs out of messages....

The only strange thing about the OP is the layout of the link.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/04/2013 16:09, Nightjar wrote:

Difficult to say without knowing what your style is, how good an artist
you are or how skilled you may be at DIY. You have had a few other
suggestions. I have no particular problem with large areas of white
melamine, but, if I wanted to change them, I would probably paint a copy
of a Mucha or Dali painting that I liked onto them.

Colin Bignell

One of the suggestions on Mumsnet was for decoupage, which just means
cutting stuff out of magazines and pasting it on. I suspect that would
look far better than a badly-done paint job, so a lot depends on the
OP's skill levels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:57 pm, VC25 wrote:

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Pics won't show in a text-only newsgroup.

Worked fine for me using Thunderbird.

Colin Bignell

Not via a server which does not carry the pic, though!

It comes through here (The german server) as a link, and clicking on the
diybanter.com URL opens the .jpg file in Firefox as normal.

Of course, if your server strips URLs out of messages....

The only strange thing about the OP is the layout of the link.

I made mistake and thought it had been embedded and all I was seeing was
a useless link. I was wrong. As you say.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 17:21, GB wrote:
On 09/04/2013 16:09, Nightjar wrote:

Difficult to say without knowing what your style is, how good an artist
you are or how skilled you may be at DIY. You have had a few other
suggestions. I have no particular problem with large areas of white
melamine, but, if I wanted to change them, I would probably paint a copy
of a Mucha or Dali painting that I liked onto them.

Colin Bignell

One of the suggestions on Mumsnet was for decoupage, which just means
cutting stuff out of magazines and pasting it on. I suspect that would
look far better than a badly-done paint job, so a lot depends on the
OP's skill levels.

As I read that, my mind converted "decoupage" into "décolletage" - and
imagined the doors covered by fake cleavages and sexy bras...

Sad.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 17:21, GB wrote:
On 09/04/2013 16:09, Nightjar wrote:

Difficult to say without knowing what your style is, how good an artist
you are or how skilled you may be at DIY. You have had a few other
suggestions. I have no particular problem with large areas of white
melamine, but, if I wanted to change them, I would probably paint a copy
of a Mucha or Dali painting that I liked onto them.

Colin Bignell

One of the suggestions on Mumsnet was for decoupage, which just means
cutting stuff out of magazines and pasting it on. I suspect that would
look far better than a badly-done paint job, so a lot depends on the
OP's skill levels.

Indeed. A cafe I use regularly had, until it changed hands, an
atrociously painted mural on one wall. The new owners wisely painted it
over and hung photographs instead.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:57:26 PM UTC+1, VC25 wrote:

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Any of the following:
Replace the handles, eg with wood or steel
Paint the melamine - I don't recommend it unless you can do a decent job spray painting
Veneer the melamine with veneer or 4mm ply, and varnish/stain/oil the result.
Add framing onto the front round the edges - takes very accurate cutting to look good.
Buy new doors to fit, theyre not expensive - you need to be able to sort the hinges

The simplest cheapest is just to replace handles.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

VC25 wrote:

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had any
ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

You don't make it clear whether it's just the outside of the wardrobes that
offends you. Does their inside storage (which I'd guess is a rail only in
the lower area and maybe shelves in the upper ones) do what you want?

Depending on the sizes you might be able to remove the cupboard doors and
the frame that supports them, then use the carcases (ie the internal parts)
of eg some of IKEA's wardrobes (or other cupboards) to fit into the gap,
thus giving you in essence an IKEA wardrobe recessed into the wall. That
needn't be too expensive. Whether it would work well really depends on how
close in size the gap your wardrobes take up is to the sizes of the IKEA
units.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Junior Member

Thank you for the replies. There is definitely lots to think about there!
Apologies to those who couldn't see the picture, I did attach one to my post so I did try :-)

I'll do some research into some of your suggestions!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB writes:

At the risk of being sexist, it's worth a look here
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property...t-ever-look-OK

Not sexist to suggest mumsnet. I'm a bloke and find useful stuff on
there, especially money-saving tips.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2013 12:57, VC25 wrote:

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style.

I bought the wavy mirrors from Ikea and fixed them on my wardrobe. In
one room they are long and thin, the other the wider mirrors that screw on
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70179377/
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/25162500/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"VC25" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

I am part way through updating a plain white door of my own. See links
below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2017.22.22.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2016.47.11.jpg

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I am part way through updating a plain white door of my own. See links
below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2017.22.22.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2016.47.11.jpg

Mike

Nicely done, Mike.

Does anybody know whether it's possible to find ready-made versions of
the little panels you've made? That would make it much easier for people
who aren't any good at mitring. I have no idea what to search for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message ...

I am part way through updating a plain white door of my own. See links
below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2017.22.22.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2016.47.11.jpg

Mike

Nicely done, Mike.

Does anybody know whether it's possible to find ready-made versions of the
little panels you've made? That would make it much easier for people who
aren't any good at mitring. I have no idea what to search for.

B&Q used to sell them, but at their price I was better off buying the
moulding and a mitre saw set.
I use one like this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/76675.jpg

Cutting accurate mitres in small moulding is very easy with this tool.

They are £22 from tool station but I am sure I paid a lot less at Aldi for
mine.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2013 18:16, Muddymike wrote:
"GB" wrote in message ...

[...]

With small beading you hardly need to be spot on with 45 deg cuts. More
important to get matching pieces the same length. I'd do it by eye

I'm sure I'd find something that ran at 45 degs to something else
without spending money