Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Updating these wardrobes!

On 09/04/2013 12:57, VC25 wrote:

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I hope that someone will be able to
help!

I really need to decorate my bedroom, but I have these terrible built in
wardrobes that are very dated and not my style. Unfortunately, I don't
have the money to be able to rip them out, so I wondered if anyone had
any ideas of how to update them a little to save me the funds? I have
absolutely no idea where to start!

Thank you for any replies :-)

Vicky x

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6839|

Hi Vicky

Unless I am very much mistaken, those are white melamine. If so, the
choices are either to replace them or paint them. Replacement is quite
expensive, so I suggest that you google for "Painting melamine doors".
You'll find various articles saying that it's quite hard to get a decent
finish.

Bear in mind that a big flat expanse of doors in, say, blue won't look
much better than they do in white.

Putting some sort of panelling on helps break it up. My preference would
be to get some MDF squares pre-cut and screw them on. The trouble with
beading is that the corners are a bit tricky without tools to mitre them
at 45 degrees.

You need to decide how much you are prepared to spend, really, bot in
terms of time and money.

Geoff.