Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wing mirror repair?

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 01:09:10 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 20:59:44 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I suppose it is the same when I call "shock absorbers" their correct title of dampers, but I DO like to be accurate.

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail) is all very well but as
mentioned, only when it's not coming across as being pedantic and
especially if it doesn't actually help the solution.

Ah yes, pedantic is what somebody who doesn't know something calls someone who does!

We all know to buy a wing mirror. It's you that's wrong.

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or no grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that ALERT Notice from Microsoft. However, by pouring a complete
circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 18:41:35 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

2nd hand one on Ebay, about £10, fit it yourself? If it keeps happening, fit a camera.

--
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/16 18:59, Tim+ wrote:

But hardly challenging and also bloody expensive. It's a full electric
mirror with motor driven folding.

Such hacking is always great fun.

One of my "to do list" challenges is converting an electric folding
mirror from a Lexus IS200 to fit my similarly coloured non-electric
Octavia. Scored the former from an eBay auction for £25, looks as it
will fit grand with some minor door drilling.

Just need some round tuits.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:12:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

But hardly challenging and also bloody expensive. It's a full electric
mirror with motor driven folding.

Do you enjoy throwing money away?

Tim

Never heard of a breakers yard?

Bit drastic just because its got a broken mirror.

G.harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:57:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail)

Is that the new name for autistic?

Not here it isn't.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Tim+
escribió:

Prices on eBay are £100+ for a full electric mirror replacement.

Yes, I said in another post Ford wanted 150 quid+vat for a motorised
heated StreetKa replacement - and that was unpainted (it's colour
matched to the car).

The one I got off ebay to scavenge for parts to fix the original cost a
tenner. For that, I'm not going to fart about cutting steel plate and
epoxying.

I fully expect to have it fully repaired for nowt using odds and ends from
my garage.

Props to you for giving it a go, hope it works out. If it's the type
that can be folded against the car, maybe think about telling her to not
do that to avoid strain on the repair?

It's a motorised fold. No reason that should strain the mount at all.
Folding might make it fractionally less likely to be vandalised too I
reckon.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:49:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:57:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail)

Is that the new name for autistic?

Not here it isn't.

Cheers, T i m

There's a difference between focusing on detail and focussing on silly pointless things. Like making sure your shoes are all in the correct order in the hall.

--
When I was in the pub I heard a couple of plonkas saying that they wouldn't feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman. What a pair of sexists. I mean, it's not as if she'd have to reverse the bloody thing!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:18:46 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:49:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:57:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail)

Is that the new name for autistic?

Not here it isn't.

Cheers, T i m

There's a difference between focusing on detail and focussing on silly pointless things.

Yes, one is often being a 'left brainier and the other being pedantic
or OCD. I think it's better to suggest someone is (say) a 'left
brainer' (as a means of understanding how or why they might do
something) for acting like one than just calling them names for being
'different' to you.

Like making sure your shoes are all in the correct order in the hall.

I would say that was some level of OCD? I would think 'most people'
would keep them in pairs and that's about it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:49:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:57:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail)

Is that the new name for autistic?

Not here it isn't.

Cheers, T i m

There's a difference between focusing on detail and focussing on silly pointless things.

Yes, one is often being a 'left brainier and the other being pedantic
or OCD. I think it's better to suggest someone is (say) a 'left
brainer' (as a means of understanding how or why they might do
something) for acting like one than just calling them names for being
'different' to you.

But Simon is not a left brainer. He's OCD.

Like making sure your shoes are all in the correct order in the hall.

I would say that was some level of OCD? I would think 'most people'
would keep them in pairs and that's about it. ;-)

My Aunt cannot tolerate them being the wrong way round. When I were a lad, I took great delight in swapping them all over, then watching her hurriedly correct it when she walked through the hall.

--
What happens when you stick your hand in a jar of jelly beans?
The black ones steal your watch and rings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:49:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:57:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail)

Is that the new name for autistic?

Not here it isn't.

Cheers, T i m

There's a difference between focusing on detail and focussing on silly pointless things.

Yes, one is often being a 'left brainier and the other being pedantic
or OCD. I think it's better to suggest someone is (say) a 'left
brainer' (as a means of understanding how or why they might do
something) for acting like one than just calling them names for being
'different' to you.

But Simon is not a left brainer. He's OCD.

Ok.

Like making sure your shoes are all in the correct order in the hall.

I would say that was some level of OCD? I would think 'most people'
would keep them in pairs and that's about it. ;-)

My Aunt cannot tolerate them being the wrong way round.

If you mean them being placed on the floor as you would put them on,
then I'd say most people might do that but not because of any OCD but
purely practical reasons.

When I were a lad, I took great delight in swapping them all over, then watching her hurriedly correct it when she walked through the hall.

Nasty boy. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:49:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:57:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

I put them any way round, then pick up the one I put on first. Does it matter if they're the same way round as my feet?

When I were a lad, I took great delight in swapping them all over, then watching her hurriedly correct it when she walked through the hall.

Nasty boy. ;-)

Aren't all kids evil?

--
"Oh god," sighed the wife one morning, "I'm convinced my mind is almost completely gone!"
Her husband looked up from the newspaper and commented,

Car wing mirror fallen out robgraham UK diy 7 June 22nd 15 01:36 PM
Corsa wing mirror The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 May 4th 09 02:05 PM
(OT) Peugeot partner escapade wing mirror. Donwill UK diy 0 April 23rd 09 01:17 PM
Mirror Repair lyngiven Home Repair 7 March 23rd 07 10:26 PM
Mirror Repair lyngiven Home Repair 4 March 20th 07 07:15 PM