Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wing mirror repair?

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Thank you for that helpful observation. You are a veritable mine of
useful information. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting me
right. Of course some *useful* information would be considerably more
appreciated.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mason is a total **** - and a cyclist.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 21:36:36 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Thank you for that helpful observation. You are a veritable mine of
useful information. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting me
right. Of course some *useful* information would be considerably more
appreciated.

Tim

Mason is a total **** - and a cyclist.

Now now, David. You don't want someone dobbing you in to your ISP again, do you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 21:36:36 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Thank you for that helpful observation. You are a veritable mine of
useful information. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting
me
right. Of course some *useful* information would be considerably more
appreciated.

Tim

Mason is a total **** - and a cyclist.

Now now, David. You don't want someone dobbing you in to your ISP again,
do you?

You actually do that kind of thing?
Really?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nobody likes a grassing ****, shall we all come down and slash your tyres? You choose, Alfa or bicycle.

--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2016 19:31, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Maybe for you, but if you want to search on eBay there might be a
category called wing mirrors, but certainly none on Door mirrors.

If you have anything helpful to say...................
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 20:12:49 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 11/09/2016 19:31, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Maybe for you, but if you want to search on eBay there might be a
category called wing mirrors, but certainly none on Door mirrors.

If you have anything helpful to say...................

I suppose it is the same when I call "shock absorbers" their correct title of dampers, but I DO like to be accurate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:16:58 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 20:12:49 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 11/09/2016 19:31, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Maybe for you, but if you want to search on eBay there might be a
category called wing mirrors, but certainly none on Door mirrors.

If you have anything helpful to say...................

I suppose it is the same when I call "shock absorbers" their correct title of dampers, but I DO like to be accurate.

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail) is all very well but as
mentioned, only when it's not coming across as being pedantic and
especially if it doesn't actually help the solution.

It matters little if it's a door, wing or interior mirror, just that
you offer the OP something that might actually help fix the thing.

Same with your 'shock absorbers' ... if that's how they are commonly
known then you using a different term, no matter how technically
correct, may not help the situation.

The only time it might is if the industry refers to something
differently and when using a search engine to find replacements or
information etc. shrug

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 20:59:44 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

I suppose it is the same when I call "shock absorbers" their correct title of dampers, but I DO like to be accurate.

Being a 'left brainer' (focused on detail) is all very well but as
mentioned, only when it's not coming across as being pedantic and
especially if it doesn't actually help the solution.

Ah yes, pedantic is what somebody who doesn't know something calls someone who does!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Is that the new name for autistic?

--
She was as easy as the Daily Star crossword.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:12:47 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 11/09/2016 19:31, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

Maybe for you, but if you want to search on eBay there might be a
category called wing mirrors, but certainly none on Door mirrors.

If you have anything helpful to say...................

If you bought a door mirror it would probably go inside your bedroom door.

--
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 19:31:49 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, 11 September 2016 18:41:40 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

That is a door mirror - wing mirrors went out in the 1970's.

It's called a WING mirror, that is a simple fact of life, get used to it.

--
"Oh god," sighed the wife one morning, "I'm convinced my mind is almost completely gone!"
Her husband looked up from the newspaper and commented,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 17:41:35 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

If you can get all the bits off to give yo access to the bare mirror
body, I'd think it might be something you could fix with one of the
liquid metal epoxy's or even some fibreglass / P45 (or P40, which ever
one is the flexible one) or some resin and fibreglass mat / bandage?

I'd first wash and dry it thoroughly, remove any paint (Dremell?)
where you might like to get some reinforcement to stick and take it
from there.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

If you can get all the bits off to give yo access to the bare mirror
body, I'd think it might be something you could fix with one of the
liquid metal epoxy's or even some fibreglass / P45 (or P40, which ever
one is the flexible one) or some resin and fibreglass mat / bandage?

I'd first wash and dry it thoroughly, remove any paint (Dremell?)
where you might like to get some reinforcement to stick and take it
from there.

I presume it's plastic?
If you can find a solvent-weld glue for it, that would work.

Also, remove the broken-off piece from the car, rather than trying
to glue it in-situ. Then, when you refit, put some mudguard (wide)
washers under those fixing screws, as that will extend the fixing
area to include plastic which didn't break off.

I had one kicked off by 3 youths high on crack. I got some
entertainment value out of going to watch all the court hearings
(which covered lots of vandalism, not just my door mirror).
By the time it got to the end of the 6 or so hearings, only one
of the three was still going through the process - of the others,
one had vanished, and the other was being held on remmand for rape,
so didn't get to attend court for the lesser cases anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 19:19:50 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

If you can get all the bits off to give yo access to the bare mirror
body, I'd think it might be something you could fix with one of the
liquid metal epoxy's or even some fibreglass / P45 (or P40, which ever
one is the flexible one) or some resin and fibreglass mat / bandage?

I'd first wash and dry it thoroughly, remove any paint (Dremell?)
where you might like to get some reinforcement to stick and take it
from there.

I presume it's plastic?

Looking at the fractures it looks like some sort of GRP I'd say.

If you can find a solvent-weld glue for it, that would work.

I'm not sure that sort of plastic would respond to that sort of
solution but always worth a test. ;-)

Also, remove the broken-off piece from the car, rather than trying
to glue it in-situ.

Yeah, that was my 'get all the bits of' though. Much easier to work on
etc.

Then, when you refit, put some mudguard (wide)
washers under those fixing screws, as that will extend the fixing
area to include plastic which didn't break off.

I'd be torn between allowing it to break out again or do even more
damage?

I had one kicked off by 3 youths high on crack. I got some
entertainment value out of going to watch all the court hearings
(which covered lots of vandalism, not just my door mirror).
By the time it got to the end of the 6 or so hearings, only one
of the three was still going through the process - of the others,
one had vanished, and the other was being held on remmand for rape,
so didn't get to attend court for the lesser cases anymore.

Lovely. ;-(

I came down to find both the mirrors kicked off the old Astra but they
just clipped back on again. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m writes:

Looking at the fractures it looks like some sort of GRP I'd say.

If it's GRP, you would use polyester resin (same as in GRP).
Some glass fibre matting across the join and impregnated with
GRP would also help.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11-Sep-16 8:19 PM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Also, remove the broken-off piece from the car, rather than trying
to glue it in-situ.

And there I was thinking that I used to have the same kitchen worktop as
that photo has in it.

I'd have used araldite, but I gather the gurus here reckon there's
something better now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

If you can get all the bits off to give yo access to the bare mirror
body, I'd think it might be something you could fix with one of the
liquid metal epoxy's or even some fibreglass / P45 (or P40, which ever
one is the flexible one) or some resin and fibreglass mat / bandage?

I'd first wash and dry it thoroughly, remove any paint (Dremell?)
where you might like to get some reinforcement to stick and take it
from there.

My thought was 2-part epoxy given the way things have broken, assuming
it can be dismantled further.

I've not used liquid metal epoxy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

If you can get all the bits off to give yo access to the bare mirror
body, I'd think it might be something you could fix with one of the
liquid metal epoxy's or even some fibreglass / P45 (or P40, which ever
one is the flexible one) or some resin and fibreglass mat / bandage?

I'd first wash and dry it thoroughly, remove any paint (Dremell?)
where you might like to get some reinforcement to stick and take it
from there.

My thought was 2-part epoxy given the way things have broken, assuming
it can be dismantled further.

Depending on the area that is going to still be in contact, that
should be ok.

I've not used liquid metal epoxy.

It's basically the same as any 2 part epoxy just a lot stronger. ;-)

I think it may depend on how the break re-sits and if the epoxy is
going to be under the fastenings. If it is I feel the liquid metal
type will allow the retaining screws to be fully tightened again.

Another thing I've done is put some tape under any holes and just fill
the holes (missing plastic?) with epoxy, level with the original
surface.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2016 18:41, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

It doesn't look easily repairable to me - but you may be able to pick up
a complete mirror assembly at a breakers yard.

I was able to do that with my wife's Ford Puma. She hit something with
the mirror and broke the glass, and deranged the internals. I bought
another one from a breakers yard, but the outer plastic casing was a
different colour. Fortunately, our outer case was ok - so I transferred
the internals and glass from the new one - and it's now fine.

If you google for "Honda Jazz door mirror replacement" you'll find
various supply sources for new and used ones, and 'how to' YouTube videos.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Roger Mills
escribió:

I was able to do that with my wife's Ford Puma. She hit something with
the mirror and broke the glass, and deranged the internals. I bought
another one from a breakers yard, but the outer plastic casing was a
different colour. Fortunately, our outer case was ok - so I transferred
the internals and glass from the new one - and it's now fine.

I did exactly the same with a mate's StreetKa. Ford wanted 150 quid for
the assembly - and that was unpainted.

Got one (wrong colour) from breaker's and transferred parts (mounting
bracket and glass) from that to fix the broken one. As in your case, the
outer shell was ok but the mounting bracket to the body was broken. I
had to cut through and resolder the wiring loom to do it which was time
consuming and fiddly (motorised and heated mirror). The plug shells on
the end of the wires were impossible to get off. It all worked ok in
the end.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an
08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Must be plenty available from the wreckers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2016 18:41, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

Same thing happened to the wife's car (not in Glasgow). Citroen C3,
electric mirror.

Found a place online wingmirrorman or similar. Greatly surprised that
the replacement unit was about £30 delivered. Fitted perfectly. Worth a
Google.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2016 18:41, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

wouldn't waste time trying to repair ... buy a 2nd hand one from one of
the on-line breakers database (or eBay)

Probably get what you want and in the correct colour.

such as:
http://www.asm-autos.co.uk/used-car-parts.htm
https://www.1stchoice.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
On 11/09/2016 18:41, Tim+ wrote:
Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

Tim

wouldn't waste time trying to repair ... buy a 2nd hand one from one of
the on-line breakers database (or eBay)

Odd, that. I thought this group had DIY in the name.

Probably get what you want and in the correct colour.

such as:
http://www.asm-autos.co.uk/used-car-parts.htm
https://www.1stchoice.co.uk/

....at a price.

If I can make a good repair for pennies, spending pounds seems foolish.
Even secondhand they don't look cheap.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

If I can make a good repair for pennies, spending pounds seems foolish.

You won't be able to do it (make a strong, lasting repair). Even if you
do, it'll cost you more in time and effort than grabbing a used one from
a breaker.

How much is your time worth to you?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Tim+
escribió:

If I can make a good repair for pennies, spending pounds seems foolish.

You won't be able to do it (make a strong, lasting repair).

Wanna bet? Don't judge others based on your own capabilities.

Even if you
do, it'll cost you more in time and effort than grabbing a used one from
a breaker.

Have you looked up the price of folding electric mirrors for Hondas?

Besides, it's not work, it's pleasure.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim+
escribió:

Wanna bet?

Looking at your pics, yes.

Fitting a replacement counts as DIY, you know.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2016 12:28, Tim+ wrote:

Tim

Odd, that. I thought this group had DIY in the name.

Taking old one off, and fixing the new one would be DIY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:02:39 +0100, rick
wrote:

On 12/09/2016 12:28, Tim+ wrote:

Tim

Odd, that. I thought this group had DIY in the name.

Taking old one off, and fixing the new one would be DIY

Of course it would but I think that comment was aimed at those who
felt it couldn't be repaired d-i-y.

It's funny how some (as has been mentioned) 'judge others based on
their own capabilities' (or lack thereof obviously) and think
everything is just down to time and money. ;-(

Oh well, whilst we do need left brainers it's probably not here where
most thinking is done outside the box. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 18:41:35 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Any suggestions as to whether this kind of thing is repairable? From an 08
Honda Jazz.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/watv54zzxe...rror.jpeg?dl=1

Knocked off by a scrote in Glasgow. :-(

Daughter's car. Rather not spend more than necessary considering that it's
going to have to go back to Glasgow.

2nd hand one on Ebay, about £10, fit it yourself? If it keeps happening, fit a camera.

--
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Car wing mirror fallen out robgraham UK diy 7 June 22nd 15 01:36 PM
Corsa wing mirror The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 May 4th 09 02:05 PM
(OT) Peugeot partner escapade wing mirror. Donwill UK diy 0 April 23rd 09 01:17 PM
Mirror Repair lyngiven Home Repair 7 March 23rd 07 10:26 PM
Mirror Repair lyngiven Home Repair 4 March 20th 07 07:15 PM