Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mirror Repair

Is it possible to re-silver a mirror? Is this a diificult task? My
bathroom mirror is only 4 years old and I don't want to replace it
yet. Could an DIY amateur attempt this and how what is the best way
to go about it?

Any advice appreciated

lyngiven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 5:32�am, "lyngiven" wrote:
Is it possible to re-silver a mirror? *Is this a diificult task? *My
bathroom mirror is only 4 years old and I don't want to replace it
yet. *Could an DIY amateur attempt this and how what is the best way
to go about it?

Any advice appreciated

lyngiven

you will have to remove mirror anyway to fix or resilver, cheaper and
easier to replace

Posted to alt.home.repair

lyngiven wrote:
Is it possible to re-silver a mirror? Is this a diificult task? My
bathroom mirror is only 4 years old and I don't want to replace it
yet. Could an DIY amateur attempt this and how what is the best way
to go about it?

Any advice appreciated

lyngiven

Re-silvering is definitely not a do it yourself type job. When you are
ready to replace it drive past the big box places such as Home Depot and
go to a real glass shop where you can get a mirror that will likely last
a lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 20 Mar 2007 03:32:11 -0700, "lyngiven"
wrote:

Is it possible to re-silver a mirror?

I haven't checked, but I'm sure if you pay enough money, there is
someone who can re-silver your mirror.

Is this a diificult task?

Not for him.

My
bathroom mirror is only 4 years old and I don't want to replace it
yet. Could an DIY amateur attempt this and how what is the best way
to go about it?

You could DIY make phone calls and wrap the mirror for shipping.

Any advice appreciated

I'm not counting on that.

lyngiven

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it possible to re-silver a mirror? Is this a diificult task? My
bathroom mirror is only 4 years old and I don't want to replace it
yet. Could an DIY amateur attempt this and how what is the best way
to go about it?

The short answer to DIY re-silvering is no.

Here's the long answer. The reflective surface of a modern mirror
(which I assume yours is) is made by the high-voltage vacuum
deposition of aluminum onto the glass. No way an amateur is going to
do that himself. Antique mirrors were made by chemical deposition of
silver. In theory this can be done at home, but it would require
access to specific toxic and corrosive chemicals, as well as a
knowledge of chemistry. Just buying the chemicals and paying the
associated haz-mat shipping charges would cost more than a replacement
mirror. And the waste products of the reaction would be a toxic brew
that probably would be illegal to dump down the drain. Not worth the
trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How about painting the back of the mirror black? A can of spray paint
is pretty cheap...

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It would sort of defete the purpose of the mirror would it not? Many
mirrors do have a black finish on the back, but that just protects the
reflecting material (silver in the really old days). Today as I recall that
reflective material is put on using equipment not generally found in the
home shop.

Bob

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Mirror Repair lyngiven Home Repair 4 March 20th 07 07:15 PM
insetting a mirror Fezig Woodworking 2 February 28th 07 05:05 AM
Mirror Re-Silvering Andrew Mawson UK diy 16 February 2nd 07 11:04 PM
Flexible mirror Dave UK diy 14 November 24th 06 07:11 PM
where to get mirror? J Home Repair 11 May 11th 06 10:13 PM