Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door binding on frame - why?

About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for
us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the casing.
The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the
joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now fine.
Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for
us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the casing.
The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the
joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now fine.
Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

I have one that I have to sand down a bit most years. I think it's just
absorbing moisture from the air in summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/16 17:01, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for
us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the
casing.
The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the
joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now
fine.
Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

I have one that I have to sand down a bit most years. I think it's just
absorbing moisture from the air in summer.

Yep. Indoor humidity is max in summer.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for
us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the
casing.
The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the
joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now
fine.
Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

I have one that I have to sand down a bit most years. I think it's just
absorbing moisture from the air in summer.

Yep. Indoor humidity is max in summer.

One door, er, next door is binding but once the temperature drops and the
humidity gets back down to reasonable levels it'll be OK.
It did the same in the hot weather and then was OK.
Don't go taking bits off or it'll be gappy when it shrinks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Humidity, yes.
There was very little dust on the floor as I sanded very little off the
door.
Thanks to all that replied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for
us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the
casing.
The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the
joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now
fine.
Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

I have one that I have to sand down a bit most years. I think it's just
absorbing moisture from the air in summer.

Yep. Indoor humidity is max in summer.

Sure? In Scotland it's about 60% all year round.

--
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

I hope you gathered up every grain by hand.

--
Women do not snore, burp, sweat, or fart.
Therefore, they must "bitch" or they will blow up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2016 16:52, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior doors for
us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the casing.
The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly screwed in and the
joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now fine.
Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start to bind?

just rub the offending part with a candle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher wrote:
On 07/09/2016 16:52, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
About 12 months ago a mate fitted 4 new decent quality interior
doors for us. He is brilliant with wood, I'm not.
For the past week one of the doors has been binding slightly on the
casing. The casing has not moved, the hinges are still tightly
screwed in and the joints on the door are not coming apart.
Nothing heavy is hung on the door, just a dressing gown.
Door does not get direct sunlight, house is not damp.
House is about 50 years old, so I doubt subsidence.
I just sanded a bit off the offending part of the door and it is now
fine. Has anybody got any ideas why this door should suddenly start
to bind?

just rub the offending part with a candle.

HA! and Yeah.
I did actually try a smear of Vaseline whilst looking for the quick easy
fix.
It did not work.

But, thanks anyway :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
critcher wrote:
[...]

a candle is wax, not petroleum jelly. All good woodworkers carry a candle
in their toolbox.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 21:34:54 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
critcher wrote:
[...]

So do BDSM prostitutes.

--
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
critcher wrote:
[...]

and the relevance to a sticking door?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Seems counter-intuitive until you realise there's a reason that
everything is wet in Winter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Your humidimeter is wrong?

--
Sprinter Tim Montgomery is banned 2 years for doping.
Track officials began to suspect he might be juicing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:20:41 +0100, charles wrote:

wrote:
critcher wrote:
[...]

Who said it had to be relevant? Get your clothes off.

--
Drugs lead nowhere, but it's the scenic route.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pounder bought cheap **** doors. I've never had a door change, not an internal one anyway.

On Thu, 08 Sep 2016 08:03:57 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well wood does change with heat, like central heating which can put
stresses in it but my experience of this is normally that the door twists,
ie it at the bottom before the top etc.

Brian

--
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. -- Carl Sagan