Jim M

Default Replacing Door Frame + Door

Hi there,

I am replacing a door frame and door for a shop in my back yard. The
previous owners had the water sprinkler poorly adjusted and as a result
sprayed constantly against this steel door. The wood core has rotted out and
so has the sill. I have done Google searches on replacing this door to no
help. i am looking for some insight as to how to replace an exterior door
frame and install the door. TIA for any replies.....Jim

Art

Most units come with installation instructions. For a easier job, I once
installed a Benchmark brand steel door with a special frame that fits over
the old frame after molding is removed. Then you put molding back up.

"Jim M" jim wrote in message ...
Hi there,

I am replacing a door frame and door for a shop in my back yard. The
previous owners had the water sprinkler poorly adjusted and as a result
sprayed constantly against this steel door. The wood core has rotted out
and so has the sill. I have done Google searches on replacing this door to
no help. i am looking for some insight as to how to replace an exterior
door frame and install the door. TIA for any replies.....Jim

Really depends upon how old the existing door and frame are. If it's
new enough to use what's today's standard then it should be real easy
to take it apart and replace it with a new pre hung door. If it's not
then you'll probably have to replace the rotten pieces of the wood
frame individually (preforably with hardwood) then hang a new door.

Ed

"Jim M" jim wrote in message ...
Hi there,

I am replacing a door frame and door for a shop in my back yard. The
previous owners had the water sprinkler poorly adjusted and as a result
sprayed constantly against this steel door. The wood core has rotted out
and so has the sill. I have done Google searches on replacing this door to
no help. i am looking for some insight as to how to replace an exterior
door frame and install the door. TIA for any replies.....Jim

From google:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...avDoorsWindows

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/window/win_2.htm

http://doors-and-windows.aubuchonhar...ace_a_door.asp

Plenty more if you need them.
Search google for:
"how to replace an exterior door"

Can't imagine what you searched for.

I recently replaced the front door on my house. It wasn't too bad. You
need to remove the entire old door and casing. After that measure the
opening and get a door that will fit with at least 1" clearance on the
top and sides. (or the same size door you are removing)

then stick the door in, make sure it's level, and add shims to make up
the space between the door and the jack studs. Filled the gaps with
spray foam, then installed casing over it.

The door I replaced was a little taller than the new one I bought, so I
had to but a 2x4 on the top to close the gap.

Your local huge depot should have a door w/ instructions on how to get
it done.

Jim M

Plenty more if you need them.
Search google for:
"how to replace an exterior door"

Can't imagine what you searched for.

Ed, There is nothing in those URL's that explain the door frame...lots
on pulling the hinge pins and replacing the door. If you reread my post I
mentioned 'Door AND frame"...I DID a google search.

Anyways...to the ones with the constructive help...Thanks so much for
your replies ... I hadn't realized that the door and frame that you buy
comes with the instructions. Warmest regards....Jim

Art

I thought I would give this hint for anyone trying to reverse an inside
door. I had occasion to reverse one and called a smart carpenter. Instead
of making a big deal job out of it, he carefully removed molding on one (or
both) side(s) (can't remember if both sides had to be removed), cut the
exposed nails with a sawzall, pulled out the door and frame, put it in the
way I wanted it (reversed), put the moldings back.

"Jim M" jim wrote in message ...

Plenty more if you need them.
Search google for: