Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kestner Evaporator

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whisky...57672501820525

Seems it was left there for a reason rather than just scraping it.

History of the station here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Br...ailway_station
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_film_evaporator

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the
re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether
it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_film_evaporator

--
Davey.

Yes I read some of that last night but didn't see how it might be connected with trains of the time. Or why they might be a juicer at the station
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to
the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or
whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_film_evaporator

--
Davey.

Yes I read some of that last night but didn't see how it might be
connected with trains of the time. Or why they might be a juicer at
the station

No idea either. I wonder if anybody else has any idea?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/16 12:03, whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whisky...57672501820525

Seems it was left there for a reason rather than just scraping it.

History of the station here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Br...ailway_station

I think it's industrial, not connected with the railway.

Google tells me there is a company in the 'Rigg Approach' estate that
has been there since 1960, called "Union Veneers", though the current
location looks like a parking lot for http://www.lady-cars.com/.

Possibly that evaporator something to do with varnish or other coatings,
perhaps preventing solvent fumes from emission?

The Rigg Approach estate seems to have had an interesting history,
fires, illegal accommodation and bent coppers, no less!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the
re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether
it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_film_evaporator

Yes I read some of that last night but didn't see how it might be connected with trains of the time. Or why they might be a juicer at the station

Steam trains need a lot of water, preferably non-fouling to reduce maintenance. I don't know if the evaporator provided that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 15:01:14 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 17/08/16 12:03, whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whisky...57672501820525

Seems it was left there for a reason rather than just scraping it.

History of the station here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Br...ailway_station

I think it's industrial, not connected with the railway.

Google tells me there is a company in the 'Rigg Approach' estate that
has been there since 1960, called "Union Veneers",

Yes a friend worked there as a fork lift driver.
Once he was unpacking a wood lorry and about half a dozen immigrants jumped out made him jump but scared the **** out of them as he was a punk, tatoos, pircings and a red mohawk.

though the current
location looks like a parking lot for http://www.lady-cars.com/.

Yes when my friend worked their in teh mid 90s there was a 'specail branch'
police car repair garage he used to see the unmarked cars go in and get a service, there were police officers all undercover working there too, he saw them drive out on many occasions attching their blue lights as they raced into lea bridge road.
Not sure if it's still active or not.

Possibly that evaporator something to do with varnish or other coatings,
perhaps preventing solvent fumes from emission?

But when and why is it still there as they are developing the area, unless it;s of some sort of historical value. Maybe I'll email Vestry House Museum.

The Rigg Approach estate seems to have had an interesting history,
fires, illegal accommodation and bent coppers, no less!

WHAT... illegal immigrants, bent coppers all in east London :-0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/17/2016 12:03 PM, whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whisky...57672501820525

Is the cylindrical tank a storage tank for boiler water? In which case,
was the Kestner evaporator actually operated as a "still" to provide
high purity water for the boilers, perhaps from the relatively hard
water which would have come from artesian wells in the London basin?

By keeping the undistilled fluid liquid prior to disposal, perhaps it
was a way around the "scaling" problems that you might get in a more
traditional still?

Seems it was left there for a reason rather than just scraping it.

History of the station here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Br...ailway_station

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes

Is the cylindrical tank a storage tank for boiler water? In which case,
was the Kestner evaporator actually operated as a "still" to provide
high purity water for the boilers, perhaps from the relatively hard
water which would have come from artesian wells in the London basin?

That sounds entirely logical.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 21:23:08 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

Nobody can afford to distill water for industrial boilers.
Water is recirculated in most cases.
However in steam locomotives it's not, which is one reason they're so inefficient.

Instead the boiler is frequently "blown down" to keep dissolved/suspended solids down.

The thing is not a still anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/18/2016 8:19 AM, harry wrote:
[...]

You make good points, but do you have *any* alternative explanation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:25:52 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 8/18/2016 8:19 AM, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 21:23:08 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 8/17/2016 12:03 PM, whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whisky...57672501820525

Is the cylindrical tank a storage tank for boiler water? In which case,
was the Kestner evaporator actually operated as a "still" to provide
high purity water for the boilers, perhaps from the relatively hard
water which would have come from artesian wells in the London basin?

This equipment came up in another newsgroup a few months back,
It is also discussed with a couple of pics on an Industrial
archeological site for London.
http://www.glias.org.uk/news/284news.html#E

There is a link on that site to a PDF where somebody found a document
held at an Indian university. describing various processes where such
equipment may have been used.
You need to find page 7 where there is a diagram of a similar unit and
how they and similar patented devices were used.
http://krishikosh.egranth.ac.in/bits...02/1/23585.pdf

The OP's suggestion of whether it was connected to the railway would
be No , it was for an industrial process that took place in a factory
that happened to be positioned by a railway station

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The Indian document is fascinating. My brother in law used to be an
insurance inspector, and sometimes he had to certify restored boilers on
steam locomotives. He used to assess them against an Indian Imperial
Railways standard from the 1930's, IIRC. I gather that India is also
*the* place to go if you need a forged connecting rod for a steam
locomotive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 August 2016 11:25:55 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

The links to wikipedia someone provided gives a good explanation.
The thing is designed to reduce the water content of various products by evaporation.

I think they are now obsolete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_film_evaporator

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Steam locomotive boilers are nothing special.
Indeed very primitive.
They are inspected and tested as any other.
We have had our own standards for over a hundred years.
We can still make parts in this country.
Poland is also big in this stuff.
New steam locomotives are still being built.

https://newbuildsteam.com/category/60163-tornado/

https://twitter.com/45551TUW/status/734627274323021825

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 08:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
whisky-dave wrote:

Possibly that evaporator something to do with varnish or other
coatings, perhaps preventing solvent fumes from emission?

But when and why is it still there as they are developing the area,
unless it;s of some sort of historical value. Maybe I'll email Vestry
House Museum.

Now, where is the combination of Google Earth - Historical View, and
Streetview?

That would be very useful!

--
Davey.