Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C evaporator location

The alt.hvac snobs wouldn't answer my question, so I'm posting here...

I was going to install my new humidifier this weekend, but I see that
the A/C evaporator is in the way. And I have no room on the return
plenum. I have an upflow system and the evaporator was installed at
the very top of the supply plenum.

Here's a diagram:

``````````| ducts to all of the rooms |
``````````+-----------------------------------+
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````| A/C evaporator located here |
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````+-----------------------------------+
```````````\ |
````````````\ |
`````````````\ section of duct |
``````````````\ |
```````````````\ |
````````````````+-----------------------------+
````````````````| /
````````````````| /
````````````````| section of duct /
````````````````| /
````````````````| /
````````````````+-----------------------+
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| furnace |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |

I have some questions about this...

1) Should the evaporator have been installed lower in the supply
plenum? (It sure would have made it easy for me to install my
humidifier.)

2) I plan on having my A/C system replaced this spring, because it is
very old and doesn't work well. Can I ask the installer to locate the
evaporator lower in the supply plenum?

3) There is a little bit of asbestos tape on the duct where the
evaporator lines enter. Will the A/C guys remove this? Will they ask
for me to have it removed before they work?

4) Depending on the answer to #2...Can I have someone evacuate the A/C
system so that I can remove the evaporator and install my humidifier?
There's at least two feet of duct below this (and above the furnace)
where the evaporator would fit.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The alt.hvac snobs wouldn't answer my question, so I'm posting here...

Good idea.

I was going to install my new humidifier this weekend...

Bad idea. Caulk the house instead, to lower vs raise your fuel bill.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You need a new furnace. Get it replaced now. Do it right once and for all.
Get a pro to do it.

Start the payback period of a new system now. Don't put off what is needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why do you say that I need a new furnace? I was asking about the A/C
system. My furnace works just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Installer made the decision for a reason. Maybe not a good one

2) I plan on having my A/C system replaced this spring, because it is
very old and doesn't work well. Can I ask the installer to locate the
evaporator lower in the supply plenum?

Every evaporator I have ever seen is right on top of the furnance. Mostly
because they parts fit together well that way. The picture seems to show a
the furnance and evap of differing sizes.

3) There is a little bit of asbestos tape on the duct where the
evaporator lines enter. Will the A/C guys remove this? Will they ask
for me to have it removed before they work?

Asbestos tape?, new one on me. Sure it is not just duct tape?

4) Depending on the answer to #2...Can I have someone evacuate the A/C
system so that I can remove the evaporator and install my humidifier?
There's at least two feet of duct below this (and above the furnace)
where the evaporator would fit.

Mike it is impossible to answer you. There are a thousand things to look at
and your only providing a few details. Call several licensed contractors and
ask them. They can see the job.

Might be a good time to replace everything now or maybe wait till after the
holiday.

Installing the humidier now may be more trouble than it is worth.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
ups.com...
Why do you say that I need a new furnace? I was asking about the A/C
system. My furnace works just fine.

Surely you aren't going to put a new air conditioner system on an old
furnace?

New furnaces are ~92-94% efficient. Furnaces that are older than about 12
years old are only 65% efficient at best.

Yes, you need a new furnace. Don't half-ass it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Nick in his ultimate wisdom thinks caulk is always the answer, to bad he
doesn't live in own home were added humidification is necessary.

Just as funny-sad is when he used to recommend flooding your basement
floor or removing steam radiator air vents for humidification.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Oscar_Lives wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Why do you say that I need a new furnace? I was asking about the A/C
system. My furnace works just fine.

Surely you aren't going to put a new air conditioner system on an old
furnace?

New furnaces are ~92-94% efficient. Furnaces that are older than about 12
years old are only 65% efficient at best.

Yes, you need a new furnace. Don't half-ass it.

Who said he was going to replace the A/C? He said he wanted to add a
humidifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Mine is hooked up on a return with a new duct fed from the supply, same
as yours, an upflow

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:

Nick in his ultimate wisdom thinks caulk is always the answer...

It's the best one. Houses that need winter humidification leak too much air.

Just as funny-sad is when he used to recommend flooding your basement
floor or removing steam radiator air vents for humidification.

Never done that. What are you smoking? :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, but I have zero room on the return plenum to mount the humidifier;
it is too close to the wall. There is a nice big spot on the supply
plenum, but like I said the A/C evaporator is in the way.

And, yes, I will also be having the A/C replaced this spring.

What I was considering doing was to remove the A/C evaporator (no, I
wasn't going to disconnect it, just pull it out of the plenum) and
install the humidifier. The HVAC tech would have to remove this anyway
to put in a new one. But this assumes that the evaporator can be
installed in the plenum below.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You must be senile ol Nick, everyone kicked your butt on your " Keeping
the basement floor wet for humidity recommendation"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...
The alt.hvac snobs wouldn't answer my question, so I'm posting here...

I was going to install my new humidifier this weekend, but I see that
the A/C evaporator is in the way. And I have no room on the return
plenum. I have an upflow system and the evaporator was installed at
the very top of the supply plenum.

snip

Do you still have the receipt for the humidifier?

If you do, take it back and go by a free-standing whole house unit. I don't
mean the ones that hold one gallon that you have to fill daily. Get one of
them suckers that look like a piece of furniture. Then place it somewhere
near the retuen on your duct sytem. You'll be a lot happier with it......

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

The alt.hvac snobs wouldn't answer my question, so I'm posting here...

I was going to install my new humidifier this weekend, but I see that
the A/C evaporator is in the way. And I have no room on the return
plenum. I have an upflow system and the evaporator was installed at
the very top of the supply plenum.

snip

Do you still have the receipt for the humidifier?

If you do, take it back and go by a free-standing whole house unit. I don't
mean the ones that hold one gallon that you have to fill daily. Get one of
them suckers that look like a piece of furniture. Then place it somewhere
near the retuen on your duct sytem. You'll be a lot happier with it......

.... and you won't have to run a water line to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Hardcrab, Buy a freestanding unit you have to fill 5 gallons in every
day or so and pay to run a second apliance when the furnace does it
free, and have that extra fan noise and one more piece of junk to store
in summer, Dumb Hardcrab real dumb expecialy considering control to an
April air that monitors outside temps and keeps humidity optimal and a
freestanding unit does little in out of the way rooms, dumb. A furnace
humidifier is one of the main benefits of forced air vs HW radiators,
yea Ive lived with HW radiators and cheap looking furniture that
humidifies and makes noises and rattles .

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Yea you dont run a water line just a bucket

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

m Ransley wrote:

Nick in his ultimate wisdom thinks caulk is always the answer, to bad he
doesn't live in own home were added humidification is necessary.

Just as funny-sad is when he used to recommend flooding your basement
floor or removing steam radiator air vents for humidification.

He may overstate his case, but there's at least an element of truth
in what he says -- leaking your warm, humidified air to the outside
and replacing it with cold, dry air which you then heat (lowering
its relative humidity) _will_ boost your need to humidify.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do high efficiency furnaces really pay off ??? From what I have seen in
newer high effiency hvac equipment the cost savings thru higher
efficiency are offset by the higher repair costs.....

You can look on the internet and see many many stories of furnaces that
have to have the igniters replaced yearly or bi yearly....flame sensors
need cleaning...... heat exchangers needing replacement after only a
few years......newer equipment doesnt last like the old stuff
did.....then you have your hvac companies who spend as much time on
parts replacement or new equipment sales training for their technicians
than on real trouble shooting and maintenance training.

I still see old williamson, carrier, lennox, janitrol, bard
furnaces.....all brands that were installed 30-35 years ago still
kicking along every winter...good tight heat exchangers...they might
require service every few years...usually a thermocouple...if even
that....seems withn the newer equipment its something every
season....inducer motor bad, flame sensor dirty, bad board......

Today the only way you can expect your furnace or ac to operate right
is to have a maintenance agreement with an hvac contractor...this
offsets savings even more...and then you might be unfortunate enough to
get saddled with a maintenance outfit that requires its employees to
sell so many parts a month...which is quite common....

So....really....Is a new high effiecincy furnace or ac system really
gonna save anyone money.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

Corny,
You're such a ****in tight ass idiot its not even funny. Nothing like
working for the gas utility company. Everything is free and you can
screw off, sit in your truck or play with your pud all day long and no
one cares. Why should they? All of the paying utility customers are
paying for you to sit on your ass and do nothing. No we are paying
your retirement program to sit on your ass. Life must be sweet to be
such a leech.
Bubba

On 10 Dec 2005 15:41:33 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I dont work for the gas company, I work for a mechanical contractor
whos major line of business is maintenance and repair of industrial
hvac equipment. We also do some commerical type work as most of the
plants we work in also have office areas with their own hvac related
systems.

I did work for the local utility years ago when utilities actually did
repair work...for the most part now your local gas man sets meters and
hunts leaks...everything repair wise is subbed out to the local
hacks....

I know it is odd for me to sit here and knock the very business I make
my living at but I have watched the residential hvac business over the
last 25 or so years turn into a parts changing or change out the
equipment all together business...technicians being taught how to sell
the customer on new equipment..technicians being told they need to push
at least X amount of dollars worth of parts a month...bonuses given for
parts and equipment sales to customers whether they need it or
not....technicians being paid flat rate.....this all leads to
technicians who become parts changers and salesmen.

Im not saying all hvac companies are like this but quite a few are and
like other repair oriented businesses you just have to be carefull.

As for equipment....anyone in the hvac biz knows thay equipemnt
manufactured years ago far outlasted and is currently outlasting in
some cases anything on the market built today.
Manufacturers are running lean now....they produce an inferior product
to keep up the ever increasing profits demanded by upper management and
stock holders.....I see equipment on a daily basis that is 30 years
old...sometimes older that is still running and has ran good for all
those years with minimal maintenace and repair costs...I also see new
junk on the market that gets torn out and ends up in the landfill after
5 years...its sad but true.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On 10 Dec 2005 17:38:38 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Your story is still crap. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.
You knock the business that you made a living at and now you knock the
hvac guys for what you know nothing about. Incase you havent noticed,
the techs arent causing the demise of long lasting equipment.
Customers want units cheaper and cheaper. Why do you think Goodman is
so popular? Why do you see more and more of it in million dollar
homes? Because its cheap and thats what people want. That makes hvac
equipment like VCR's. You clean em and throw em away. 30+ year old
equipment works great but gas prices have warranted their replacement.
You cant afford to run old stuff anymore. You cant sit there and burn
the techs when its owners and management that run the show. You need
to get out of your Ivory tower and look around once in a while.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Right Corny, you da Clown, do you push the broom or hold the pan at
work, My 93.5% Lennox has full 10 year warranty 20 on coil and I save
50% over my dinosaur that sounded like one too and leaked Co, It will
payback 100% in 3 years, gives more even heat and as a bonus I got AC,
amazing huh. Hey it even works unlike the old one. I even got a 4" media
filter, and 1st humidifier all while saving 50% on Btu and 20% on Kwh. I
bet you think the 80% er is just fine for everyone. But you rent im
sure.