Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C evaporator location

The alt.hvac snobs wouldn't answer my question, so I'm posting here...

I was going to install my new humidifier this weekend, but I see that
the A/C evaporator is in the way. And I have no room on the return
plenum. I have an upflow system and the evaporator was installed at
the very top of the supply plenum.

Here's a diagram:

``````````| ducts to all of the rooms |
``````````+-----------------------------------+
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````| A/C evaporator located here |
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````| |
``````````+-----------------------------------+
```````````\ |
````````````\ |
`````````````\ section of duct |
``````````````\ |
```````````````\ |
````````````````+-----------------------------+
````````````````| /
````````````````| /
````````````````| section of duct /
````````````````| /
````````````````| /
````````````````+-----------------------+
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| furnace |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |
````````````````| |

I have some questions about this...

1) Should the evaporator have been installed lower in the supply
plenum? (It sure would have made it easy for me to install my
humidifier.)

2) I plan on having my A/C system replaced this spring, because it is
very old and doesn't work well. Can I ask the installer to locate the
evaporator lower in the supply plenum?

3) There is a little bit of asbestos tape on the duct where the
evaporator lines enter. Will the A/C guys remove this? Will they ask
for me to have it removed before they work?

4) Depending on the answer to #2...Can I have someone evacuate the A/C
system so that I can remove the evaporator and install my humidifier?
There's at least two feet of duct below this (and above the furnace)
where the evaporator would fit.

Mike