Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Kestner Evaporator

On 8/18/2016 12:19 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:25:52 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 8/18/2016 8:19 AM, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 21:23:08 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 8/17/2016 12:03 PM, whisky-dave wrote:

Not sure if anyones intrested but I found this which is next to the re-opened station that was first opened in 1840.

I'm not sure what this Evaporator might have been used for or whether it has any conection with the trains at the time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whisky...57672501820525

Is the cylindrical tank a storage tank for boiler water? In which case,
was the Kestner evaporator actually operated as a "still" to provide
high purity water for the boilers, perhaps from the relatively hard
water which would have come from artesian wells in the London basin?

This equipment came up in another newsgroup a few months back,
It is also discussed with a couple of pics on an Industrial
archeological site for London.
http://www.glias.org.uk/news/284news.html#E

There is a link on that site to a PDF where somebody found a document
held at an Indian university. describing various processes where such
equipment may have been used.
You need to find page 7 where there is a diagram of a similar unit and
how they and similar patented devices were used.
http://krishikosh.egranth.ac.in/bits...02/1/23585.pdf

The OP's suggestion of whether it was connected to the railway would
be No , it was for an industrial process that took place in a factory
that happened to be positioned by a railway station

G.Harman

The Indian document is fascinating. My brother in law used to be an
insurance inspector, and sometimes he had to certify restored boilers on
steam locomotives. He used to assess them against an Indian Imperial
Railways standard from the 1930's, IIRC. I gather that India is also
*the* place to go if you need a forged connecting rod for a steam
locomotive.