Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

I have a A/C system which suddenly stopped blowing cold air
overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no freon
in the system, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays
for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil.
Bubbles appear where the arrow points at:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wjspm2/p...804394969908/0.

Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the
evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. My
questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? and 2) Is the
quote in range?

Thanks, wjspm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a A/C system which suddenly stopped blowing cold air
overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no freon
in the system, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays
for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil.
Bubbles appear where the arrow points at:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wjspm2/p...804394969908/0.

Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the
evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. My
questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? and 2) Is the
quote in range?

Thanks, wjspm

Repairing evap coils on a sealed system is not as simple as a heating coil.
The system has to be filled with an inert gas, (usually nitrogen) before
brazing it, then the system has to be evacuated before some time to get the
moisture out, etc.

If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are
under warranty, parts only, no labor.

On May 23, 10:23 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are
under warranty, parts only, no labor.

On May 23, 10:23 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What
does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

If the $800 is just for labor, that seems high. I'd call another tech to
check it out.