Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The girl who says 'no'

Me: Have you got any four by four posts, but long ones, maybe three and
a half metres?
Girl in timber yard office (who has been needlessly obstructive on
several previous occasions): No.
Me: What's the longest you've got?
Girl: We might have some ten foot. Not sure. Might only have eight foot.
Me: Well can you cut me some longer ones?
Girl: How can we make long ones from short ones?
Me: I thought you could maybe start with a tree.
Girl: Oh funny guy eh?
Me: Only when provoked.
Girl: Could you get me some longer ones if I order them?
Girl: Oh no we don't do that.
Me: Oh well, OK then. Thanks for your help anyway.
Girl: I'll go and have a look.
[a few seconds later, sounding disappointed]: Oh, there's some three
point six. Just come in.
Excellent. I'll see you shortly.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:53:20 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Me: Have you got any four by four posts, but long ones, maybe three and
a half metres?
Girl in timber yard office (who has been needlessly obstructive on
several previous occasions): No.
Me: What's the longest you've got?
Girl: We might have some ten foot. Not sure. Might only have eight foot.
Me: Well can you cut me some longer ones?
Girl: How can we make long ones from short ones?
Me: I thought you could maybe start with a tree.
Girl: Oh funny guy eh?
Me: Only when provoked.
Girl: Could you get me some longer ones if I order them?
Girl: Oh no we don't do that.
Me: Oh well, OK then. Thanks for your help anyway.
Girl: I'll go and have a look.
[a few seconds later, sounding disappointed]: Oh, there's some three
point six. Just come in.
Excellent. I'll see you shortly.

It's not that place in Strood, is it? If it's still there...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 11:53:18 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Me: I thought you could maybe start with a tree.

Just finished reading a couple of books about Fred Dibnah. One of his friends made/restored something (might have been a windmill) and the main shaft started as an oak tree and was turned into a shaft with some assistance from a Land-Rover providing the motive power.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes but the lack of initiative or as they call it now, thinking outside the
box, is usually a symptom of University syndrome where common sense is
replaced by useless knowledge.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Martin" wrote in message
It could be something to do with Bill's personality.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:06:05 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

We used to call these sort of people doom brains in the 70s

Brian

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:39:00 +0200, Martin wrote:

You could also see it as being snotty to an unliked customer.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:30:23 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

Yes but the lack of initiative or as they call it now, thinking outside
the box, is usually a symptom of University syndrome where common sense
is replaced by useless knowledge.
Brian

Wimin take offence far more easily than men; it's impossible to avoid
sometimes.
I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a technical
query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice: once
to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Sadly it seems the knowledge of how to handle a customer politely and
courteously just does not exist these days until the maturity sets in.
In the recent past I have had to deal with an organisation where the
first time I was answered by an early 20-something (I would guess) who
clearly could not give a stuff. The second time I called I got a
mature woman who could not have been more helpful or friendly.

My wife has had the very same in dealing with the Halifax - and that
their breavement department - and on a couple of occasions with BG.
Conversely she has also dealt with Severn Trent Water and
(surprisingly) BT where whoever answered the call could not have been
more helpful.

STW - and for those that use them, First Direct (bank) - clearly spend
time and money training their staff in how to talk to customers on the
telephone. From my experience scripts don't even come into it. BT -
well I think that was just a fluke!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 13:39, Martin wrote:
You could also see it as being snotty to an unliked customer.

You don't like me because I constantly demonstrate the superiority of my
intelligence over yours. But the girl was a stranger.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes but the lack of initiative or as they call it now, thinking outside the
box, is usually a symptom of University syndrome where common sense is
replaced by useless knowledge.
Brian

But it now starts in primary schools with photo copied sheets and
tick boxes. The standard mantra was:-

1) I listen, I forget.

2) I see, I remember.

3 I do, I understand.

Doing has disappeared.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:
"Bill wrote in message

[...]

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers which
do not understand English. The on line system is now a people data
collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't give out
personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about to write to
BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register a fault condition
using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco are a joy to contact as
they answer their phones with people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:18:00 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Cursitor Doom
wrote in :

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a technical
query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice:
once to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally fewer.

Women on Dutch help desks are competent even when speaking English.

That's because they have been properly briefed.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 14:18, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
Cursitor
wrote in :

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a technical
query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice:
once to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally fewer.

There was a girl who answered the phone on the Service Reception Desk at
a car Main Dealer back in the 1980s. She knew more about diagnosing
faults and mending cars than half the mechanics she booked the work to.

I know, because she married a friend of mine.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

Yes but the lack of initiative or as they call it now, thinking outside
the box, is usually a symptom of University syndrome where common sense
is replaced by useless knowledge.
Brian

Wimin take offence far more easily than men; it's impossible to avoid
sometimes.
I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a technical
query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice: once
to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.

I have the opposite experience. I have often been put through to women
who were amazingly knowledgeable and helpful.

At Mackays hardware store in Cambridge there (is/used to be?) a woman
who can/could look at any screw and tell you want diameter thread
pattern and metal type it is/was.

When I got my Kenwood spares, the woman on the other end knew exactly
what I wanted.

Its not a gender related thing. Its just some people are natural arseholes.

She probably votes labour.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 14:40:58 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers which
do not understand English.

I have found that saying "Complaint" at the first prompt puts one through to an English operator with above-average levels of clue.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:41:46 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:18:00 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote in
:

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a
technical query because I know I'm going to have to explain the
problem twice: once to her and once again to the man she then puts
me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally fewer.

Women on Dutch help desks are competent even when speaking English.

That's because they have been properly briefed.

I'd say well educated.

There's that, too. They might even be educated enough to know they need
better briefing notes.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 15:19:51 UTC+1, charles wrote:

wrote in :

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a technical
query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice:
once to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally fewer.

Women on Dutch help desks are competent even when speaking English.

That's because they have been properly briefed.

I think womon call them knickers/panies not briefs ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 16:24:37 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
Women on Dutch help desks are competent even when speaking English.

That's because they have been properly briefed.

I think womon call them knickers/panies not briefs ;-)

It's those Dutch bicycles they ride.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I remember her - and from a very long time ago. I suspect she was
one of the family....

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 14:40, Capitol wrote:
Woody wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
[...]

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

pamela wrote:
On 14:18 10 Aug 2016, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Cursitor Doom
wrote in :

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a
technical query because I know I'm going to have to explain the
problem twice: once to her and once again to the man she then
puts me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally
fewer.

+1

When I got my Superhub2 (Superhub1 was crap) from Virgin Media I could not
be bothered setting it up myself, especially the wireless bit :-(
I rang the given phone number and spoke to a Welsh lady who did it all for
me. I could not fault her.
In a past life I used the Hardware Shop round the corner. If the owner was
not there his wife was, she knew every bit of stock in that shop.
After 27 years they sold up to a young lad. He did not have a clue. The shop
is now a hairdressers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers
which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people
data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't
give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about
to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register
a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco
are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

Or anybody other than BT. Zen are fine, in my experience.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Davey" wrote in message

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers
which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people
data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't
give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about
to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register
a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco
are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

Or anybody other than BT.

seriously!

Anybody?

Even talk-talk!

No, don't believe it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote in :

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a
technical query because I know I'm going to have to explain the
problem twice: once to her and once again to the man she then
puts me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally
fewer.

+1

When I got my Superhub2 (Superhub1 was crap) from Virgin Media I could not
be bothered setting it up myself, especially the wireless bit :-(
I rang the given phone number and spoke to a Welsh lady who did it all for
me. I could not fault her.
In a past life I used the Hardware Shop round the corner. If the owner was
not there his wife was, she knew every bit of stock in that shop.
After 27 years they sold up to a young lad. He did not have a clue. The shop
is now a hairdressers.

Lads who are hairdressers don't have male minds :-)

--
The "new labour" government has just announced that they are changing their party emblem from a red rose to a condom, as they believe it most accurately represents the governments political stance.
A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks and gives you a false sense of security when you're actually being screwed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 18:12, tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers
which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people
data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't
give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about
to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register
a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco
are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

Or anybody other than BT.

seriously!

Anybody?

Even talk-talk!

No, don't believe it

tim

I've had Talk Talk for at least 6 years and never had a problem with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:05:26 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 10/08/2016 18:12, tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers
which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people
data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't
give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about
to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register
a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco
are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

Or anybody other than BT.

seriously!

Anybody?

Even talk-talk!

No, don't believe it

tim

I've had Talk Talk for at least 6 years and never had a problem with them.

My neighbours both have it and it sux. Their routers are abysmal and their tech support are useless.

--
In 1961, 87-year-old Harry Meadows, a resident at the Haslemere home for the elderly in Great Yarmouth, England, achieved late-in-life notoriety when he accidentally killed another 3 residents of his care home by dressing up as the grim reaper and peering through the residents' lounge window whilst holding a scythe.

The year before Harry's performance, another resident of the same home, the then 81-year-old Gladys Elton, for reasons best known to herself, had conceived the idea of performing a striptease for her fellow residents of the home; unfortunately such was the effect of Elton's performance that it caused the death of one resident by way of a cardiac arrest and the treatment for shock of five other residents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

o.uk...
Woody wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
[...]

PlusNet is, of course. owned by BT.

--
JohnT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

JohnT wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

PlusNet is, of course. owned by BT.

Of course, but it's BT wires without BT customer service.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
[...]

I'm waiting for the prices to reduce as a result of Vodaphone
coming into the market.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers
which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people
data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't
give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about
to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register
a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco
are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

Or anybody other than BT.

seriously!

Anybody?

Even talk-talk!

No, don't believe it

tim

Plusnet is BT for broadband, don't know if BT telephone fault
reporting is handled by Plusnet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 18:12, tim... wrote:

[...]

A friend with TT has never managed to get his remote CCTV DNS
viewing to work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

"John wrote in message

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

PlusNet is, of course. owned by BT.

Of course, but it's BT wires without BT customer service.

Tim

For broadband. Phone may be different. I don't understand why
OFCOM didn't make BT sell off Plusnet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 22:50, Capitol wrote:

Plusnet is BT for broadband, don't know if BT telephone fault
reporting is handled by Plusnet.

It is. Though as with all the suppliers it's BT engineers doing the work
on the string.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:41:46 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:18:00 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Cursitor Doom
wrote in :

I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a
technical
query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice:
once to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally fewer.

Women on Dutch help desks are competent even when speaking English.

That's because they have been properly briefed.

I'd say well educated.

I'd say carefully chosen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Capitol
writes
I'm waiting for the prices to reduce as a result of Vodaphone
coming into the market.

If Vodaphone demonstrate the level of competence and customer awareness
they have when screwing up Demon Internet, it will give others the
incentive to raise their prices.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/08/2016 22:54, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

tim... wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault
reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers
which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people

I have never had a problem reporting faults to BT - perhaps it is your
accent that their computers do not understand?

data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't
give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about
to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register
a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco
are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

So why not move your phone line to Plusnet?

Or anybody other than BT.

seriously!

Anybody?

Even talk-talk!

I wouldn't wish Talk-Talk on my worst enemy... (well maybe I would) ;-)

No, don't believe it

Plusnet is BT for broadband, don't know if BT telephone fault
reporting is handled by Plusnet.

We're with John Lewis broadband which is handled by Plusnet and they do
our phone too. Nary a sight of BT.

Are you really sure about that? BT took over Plusnet in about 2006 and
was finalised in 2007 so they have been a part of BT for nearly a decade
(admittedly with a somewhat better corporate culture).

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_070124_bttakeover.php

Here is the criticism of their brokers actions during the takeover:

http://www.thetakeoverpanel.org.uk/w...12/2007-06.pdf

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes indee, but Demon was first cocked up by Scottish power as I remember all
too well while I was getting sorry you have left us and thank you for paying
us the fees, and we can confirm you now owe us nothing, and a couple of
days later a demand for 50 quid for unpaid extras that I never had in the
first place.
Some years later after I'd finally convinced them I had no extras, a debt
collection agency started to try to get 200 quid out of me. I faxed them my
letters.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Capitol
writes
I'm waiting for the prices to reduce as a result of Vodaphone coming
into the market.

If Vodaphone demonstrate the level of competence and customer awareness
they have when screwing up Demon Internet, it will give others the
incentive to raise their prices.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Bill
writes
In message , Capitol
writes
I'm waiting for the prices to reduce as a result of Vodaphone
coming into the market.

If Vodaphone demonstrate the level of competence and customer awareness
they have when screwing up Demon Internet, it will give others the
incentive to raise their prices.

It's probably worth explaining that customers of what was Demon are all
being handed the 'black spot' (a kiss-of-death email) telling us that

"Your free Demon email will stop working 30 calendar days from the date
of this email. So if you've been using it, make sure you have a new
email service set up and ready to go. Apart from this, your Demon
broadband service will continue as normal".

The laughable bit is "as normal". Since I joined Demon in the late 90s,
the following services have been - or are being - withdrawn:
The demon.announce newsgroup (and the staff providing the announcements)
The single-user licence to use Turnpike (Demon's mail/news client)
Demon's news server
Website hosting
Your Demon email address
The ability to (easily) use Turnpike
and a few other things beside.

It appears that all of these were officially classified as being 'free'
- but it's very obvious that there is now not much left apart from the
provision of an internet connection.

OK, certain workarounds have been offered. For example, at an extra cost
of at least £38, another company will provide alternative email
facilities, and also allow you to retain your email address (if you
transfer to Vodafone's broadband, you will lose it). As my annual Demon
sub is £201 (it was actually taken by direct debit only 3 days ago), it
all seems very poor value compared with what we used to have, and what
is offered by most competitors.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 22:53:28 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
My neighbours both have it and it sux. Their routers are abysmal and
their tech support are useless.

A friend with TT has never managed to get his remote CCTV DNS
viewing to work.

I had the bright idea of replacing the TalkTalk router with the Plusnet one and things started working again.

Sky enforce using their own router, which might make things rather awkward.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/08/16 08:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes indee, but Demon was first cocked up by Scottish power as I remember all
too well while I was getting sorry you have left us and thank you for paying
us the fees, and we can confirm you now owe us nothing, and a couple of
days later a demand for 50 quid for unpaid extras that I never had in the
first place.
Some years later after I'd finally convinced them I had no extras, a debt
collection agency started to try to get 200 quid out of me. I faxed them my
letters.
Brian

Probably more a reflection on Demons dire back office systems than
whoever took them over.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

It's a girl! Gramps' shop Woodworking 4 December 8th 13 01:24 AM
One dollar can help a girl Mary[_6_] Woodworking 2 March 2nd 09 08:05 AM
One dollar can help a girl Mary[_6_] Home Repair 6 March 1st 09 03:57 PM
Download Girl mp3 [email protected] UK diy 1 March 4th 08 05:25 PM