Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof tiles made of bitumen?

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

--
Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time -- Marthe Troly-Curtin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 22:58:19 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there

Yes.

and why?

Usual reason, plenty do what others do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

--
I once got the stuffing beat out of me fighting for a girl's honour.
She wanted to keep it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:12:14 +0100, wrote:

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 22:58:19 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

Looks rather cheap and not long lasting.

--
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that person considered a hostage situation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/07/2016 23:17, Rod Speed wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there

Yes.
and why?

Usual reason, plenty do what others do.

I had them on a roof on a foreign property that was subject to 40C in
summer and 15c in winter with heavy rains Jan/Feb.
The tiles (strips) were still going strong after 14 years with no
noticeable deterioration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
Tim Watts wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

Nope, trivially easy to overlap them so they don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen

(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

Looks rather cheap

Yeah, not as good looking as proper shingles.

and not long lasting.

Sure, but that is just as true with shed and garage roofs too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:39:50 +0100, ss wrote:

On 03/07/2016 23:17, Rod Speed wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there

Yes.
and why?

Usual reason, plenty do what others do.

I had them on a roof on a foreign property that was subject to 40C in
summer and 15c in winter with heavy rains Jan/Feb.
The tiles (strips) were still going strong after 14 years with no
noticeable deterioration.

Bitumen never seems to last on garden sheds.

--
I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. -- Doug McLeod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:58:55 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Tim Watts wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

Nope, trivially easy to overlap them so they don't.

How do you stop it running under the vertical divisions?

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 00:00:49 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen

(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

Looks rather cheap

Yeah, not as good looking as proper shingles.

Is that what we call "slates"? Dark grey little stone sheets?

and not long lasting.

Sure, but that is just as true with shed and garage roofs too.

Indeed, but people tend to take more rouble to make their house last longer than their garden shed.

--
Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
Tim Watts wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

Nope, trivially easy to overlap them so they don't.

How do you stop it running under the vertical divisions?

By overlapping them so there is the body of another shingle under that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

Looks rather cheap

Yeah, not as good looking as proper shingles.

Is that what we call "slates"? Dark grey little stone sheets?

Nope, proper shingles are wood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_shingle

and not long lasting.

Sure, but that is just as true with shed and garage roofs too.

Indeed, but people tend to take more rouble to
make their house last longer than their garden shed.

Or accept the fact that they don't last as long as other roofs.

That is obviously true of thatched roofs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/07/2016 00:16, James Wilkinson wrote:
I had them on a roof on a foreign property that was subject to 40C in
summer and 15c in winter with heavy rains Jan/Feb.
The tiles (strips) were still going strong after 14 years with no
noticeable deterioration.

Bitumen never seems to last on garden sheds.

This stuff was thicker than normal garden shed bitumen. From what I
gather they used a blowlamp to lay it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 00:50:27 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
Tim Watts wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

Nope, trivially easy to overlap them so they don't.

How do you stop it running under the vertical divisions?

By overlapping them so there is the body of another shingle under that.

Ah. My imagination sux.

--
The Red Cross just knocked on my door and asked if we could contribute towards the floods in Lebanon.
I said we'd love to, but our garden hose only reaches the driveway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 00:55:12 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

Looks rather cheap

Yeah, not as good looking as proper shingles.

Is that what we call "slates"? Dark grey little stone sheets?

Nope, proper shingles are wood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_shingle

Don't they warp or rot?

and not long lasting.

Sure, but that is just as true with shed and garage roofs too.

Indeed, but people tend to take more rouble to
make their house last longer than their garden shed.

Or accept the fact that they don't last as long as other roofs.

Which is fine until you lose expensive things inside the house due to water.

That is obviously true of thatched roofs.

Those are all they had back then, and only do it now to make something look authentic.

--
Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 00:56:00 +0100, ss wrote:

On 04/07/2016 00:16, James Wilkinson wrote:
I had them on a roof on a foreign property that was subject to 40C in
summer and 15c in winter with heavy rains Jan/Feb.
The tiles (strips) were still going strong after 14 years with no
noticeable deterioration.

Bitumen never seems to last on garden sheds.

This stuff was thicker than normal garden shed bitumen. From what I
gather they used a blowlamp to lay it.

Come to think of it whoever built my garage made the bitumen quite strong. Never had a problem with that.

--
The most ejaculatory orgasms ever recorded in 1 hour for a boy is 16.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oh look

It's the chuckle brothers again.
LMFAO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
James Wilkinson wrote
wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

Looks rather cheap

Yeah, not as good looking as proper shingles.

Is that what we call "slates"? Dark grey little stone sheets?

Nope, proper shingles are wood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_shingle

Don't they warp

Not if you use the right wood.

or rot?

Not if you use the right wood.

and not long lasting.

Sure, but that is just as true with shed and garage roofs too.

Indeed, but people tend to take more rouble to
make their house last longer than their garden shed.

Or accept the fact that they don't last as long as other roofs.

Which is fine until you lose expensive things inside the house due to
water.

That doesn't happen when you do it properly.

They are replaced because they don't look good
anymore before you end up with water in the house.

That is obviously true of thatched roofs.

Those are all they had back then,

That's not true. There were shingles and slates then
too. And tiles right back to roman times too.

and only do it now to make something look authentic.

True.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

And they come in big sheets, and the roof is guaranteed for 25-30 years.
Usually longer than the company that lays them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Royal...1180/100040028

for just one example.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"James Wilkinson" writes:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

They have a life similar to flat roofs here.

However, there is a different philosophy with housing in various parts
of the US. Traditional UK homes were built with a design life of 200
years (that's not 200 maintenance-free years), but it was well long
enough that people don't often need to consider a home getting to the
end of its life before they get to the end of theirs.

That's much less true in parts of the US. In the area I regularly
visited when working for various US companies (California), you quite
often see one of their typical single-story homes being bulldozsed
and rebuilt. They are much less substantial structures than a UK home,
so much faster to erect, but also have a much shorter expected life,
and they think much less of knocking down and rebuilding than we do.
Felt shingles are also much less likely to come loose in an earth
quake and kill passers by in that part of the US.
(Mind you, a UK brick built house there would have a very short life).

In some other parts of the US, things like tornadoes mean that houses
can be destroyed and need to be quickly rebuilt, so that too can be a
factor when you know you might suddenly have to quickly rebuild many
homes, and again, you don't want thousands of concrete roof tiles being
whipped up in a tornado and hurlded around.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/16 23:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

--
Hiroshima '45 Chernobyl '86 Windows '95
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

Nope, that's why they are nailed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

Nope, that's why they are nailed.

You'd need 4 nails in each, And every nail makes a hole that water could seep through.

--
The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
"James writes:

[...]

Shingles also withstand large hailstones better than tiles. Price
however seems to be the main consideration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-04, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"James Wilkinson" writes:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

They have a life similar to flat roofs here.

However, there is a different philosophy with housing in various parts
of the US. Traditional UK homes were built with a design life of 200
years (that's not 200 maintenance-free years), but it was well long
enough that people don't often need to consider a home getting to the
end of its life before they get to the end of theirs.

That's much less true in parts of the US.

My parents live in rural Pennsylvania, and the mass housing there is
essentially well insulated sheds. Wood frame covered with siding and
with the asphalt shingle roofing that started this thread. Erected
at enormous speed (large parts of it are prefabricated and assembled
with nail guns). It doesn't last very long by British standards.

Isn't that pretty crap for sound insulation?

--
FART stands for FAst Repetitive Ticks, and herrings use them to communicate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen a commercial building have sections of about 15 red "tiles" put on at once. They looked plastic.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 09:18:15 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I recall that although some tiles look like tiles in Spain, when I touched
one it was quite pliable as if it was made of some form of rubber.
it was red. I never thought about it again till today. I suppose there has
to be many different materials out there for roofing that we don't know
about.
Brian

--
It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Plus they bend, so that's less flashing and no fiddly mortared bits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Plus they bend, so that's less flashing and no fiddly mortared bits.

All builders like flashing :-)

--
What's the difference between a naked white woman and a naked black woman?
One's on the cover of Playboy and the other's on the cover of National Geographic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

And they come in big sheets, and the roof is guaranteed for 25-30 years.
Usually longer than the company that lays them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Royal...1180/100040028

for just one example.

I see. Still looks cheap though. Mind you so do tiles. Slates are the only decent looking roof.

--
More people in the UK are injured by standing on upturned mains plugs than by electric shocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

That's the whole point. In Tornado alley they are gone in jiffy, but
wont kill you. Quick and easy to replace.

More of a problem in North east USA where the racoons can easily rip
through them and rummage through your loft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used
on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

Nope, that's why they are nailed.

You'd need 4 nails in each,

Nope, not the way the yanks do them with big mats of bitumen shingles.

And every nail makes a hole that water could seep through.

Nope, the nails are under the shingles above them
and the free edge at the bottom end of the shingle
is attached to the shingle under it by heat or glue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-07-04, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"James Wilkinson" writes:
[...]

Its not as good as double brick, but even my patio doors are surprisingly
effective with just a single sheet of quite thick glass sound wise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

And they come in big sheets, and the roof is guaranteed for 25-30 years.
Usually longer than the company that lays them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Royal...1180/100040028

for just one example.

I see. Still looks cheap though. Mind you so do tiles. Slates are the
only decent looking roof.

Flat roofs look much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bm" wrote in message
web.com...

It's the chuckle brothers again.

But they were not funny..........

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we
use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to
look like tiles.

Just admit that you have been watching The Simpsons.

--
Adam

Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?) Aaron FIsher Home Repair 21 April 11th 11 02:30 PM
Bitumen roof felt alternative to bitumen DPC for deck? Adam[_3_] UK diy 7 September 22nd 08 09:09 PM
Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint? Adam Funk UK diy 10 December 20th 06 03:16 PM
flat roof bitumen beamoocher UK diy 1 October 18th 06 09:21 PM
Bitumen Roof Installation Recommendations joshfeingold Home Repair 0 December 7th 04 03:43 PM