Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default Roof tiles made of bitumen?

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 11:45:23 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 04/07/2016 10:28, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/07/16 23:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

--
Hiroshima '45 Chernobyl '86 Windows '95