Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof tiles made of bitumen?

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:46:28 +0100, ARW wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we
use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to
look like tiles.

Just admit that you have been watching The Simpsons.

ROFL!

--
A Irish family is sitting in the living room.
The wife turns to the husband and says, "Let's send the kids out back to p-l-a-y , so we can ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:01:12 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

And they come in big sheets, and the roof is guaranteed for 25-30 years.
Usually longer than the company that lays them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Royal...1180/100040028

for just one example.

I see. Still looks cheap though. Mind you so do tiles. Slates are the
only decent looking roof.

Flat roofs look much better.

Show me a good looking flat roof.

--
A Irish family is sitting in the living room.
The wife turns to the husband and says, "Let's send the kids out back to p-l-a-y , so we can ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 04/07/2016 11:51, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 11:45:23 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 04/07/2016 10:28, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/07/16 23:27, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

Don't they flap bout in the wind?

That's the whole point. In Tornado alley they are gone in jiffy, but
wont kill you. Quick and easy to replace.

More of a problem in North east USA where the racoons can easily rip
through them and rummage through your loft.

Not when they are fully boarded underneath them they can't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

When I'm sat in my house riding the storm, I don't care about the odd strange person who's decided to go for a walk in a tornado, I care about how long they stay on, how many I have to replace, how much it's going to cost.

More of a problem in North east USA where the racoons can easily rip
through them and rummage through your loft.

Or a burglar.

--
If colouring wasn't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

And they come in big sheets, and the roof is guaranteed for 25-30
years.
Usually longer than the company that lays them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Royal...1180/100040028

for just one example.

I see. Still looks cheap though. Mind you so do tiles. Slates are the
only decent looking roof.

Flat roofs look much better.

Show me a good looking flat roof.

Mine and countless others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No point in going thru a full boarded roof, makes a lot
more sense to break the lock on a door or break a window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The easiest way into most houses here would be through the door. Not by defeating the lock and opening it, but by breaking through the door. No not the glass in the door, the cheap **** flimsy PVC crap they make them of. Then put a 7 point lock on it like that makes a difference.

--
"My professional and my personal lives have become way too intertwined," the stewardess told her fellow stew.
"Last night my husband nudged me awake, and began to make love.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and
why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

And they come in big sheets, and the roof is guaranteed for 25-30
years.
Usually longer than the company that lays them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Royal...1180/100040028

for just one example.

I see. Still looks cheap though. Mind you so do tiles. Slates are the
only decent looking roof.

Flat roofs look much better.

Show me a good looking flat roof.

Mine and countless others.

I have never seen your roof. There must be a photo of a good one online you can show me.

--
A guy says, "I remember the first time I used alcohol as a substitute for women."
"Yeah what happened?" asked the other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The yanks don't have PVC front doors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

http://digigraphystudio.com/interior...oof-home-plans

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 23:08:36 +0100, David Paste wrote:

On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

Stick that in the middle of a city and it would be ugly. Anything "different" looks good in a scene like that, as it impinges less on the natural beauty.

--
The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:01:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Yuck yuck, yuck, yuck, and yuck. Those might look good in an art gallery, but I wouldn't want to see that every time I came home.

--
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:18:27 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Stick that in the middle of a city and it would be ugly. Anything "different" looks good in a scene like that, as it impinges less on the natural beauty.

You asked for a good looking flat roof. You got a good looking flat roof!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Yuck yuck, yuck, yuck, and yuck.

That's what everyone says about your place.

Those might look good in an art gallery, but I wouldn't want to see that
every time I came home.

No one would want to see your place every time they came home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

He said good looking, not good working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Here it is, no doors just as he said. Saves trying to fit hinges and
failing.
http://d30fl32nd2baj9.cloudfront.net...50415_0001.jpg
Plenty of room for parrots. Might need a few acres of chicken-wire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 23:30:10 +0100, S Viemeister wrote:

On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

Into what? The building is above the water.

--
The length of women's skirts are directly proportional to the current financial climate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 22:16:51 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 01:45:17 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 23:01:07 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Nothing to do with the roof.

Those might look good in an art gallery, but I wouldn't want to see that
every time I came home.

No one would want to see your place every time they came home.

Correct, most people prefer to see their own place, or they've gone the wrong bloody way.

--
I will not call my teacher "hot cakes" -- Bart's chalkboard Ep. 7G10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

Into what? The building is above the water.

Use your "degree" -
http://s556.photobucket.com/user/bra...tml?sort=3&o=4
(bad move)
FFS, there's always rain.
Ever heard of that? It's the wet stuff which falls from the sky.
You understand wet? The parrots would know.
Your mentor would know, possibly. Debatable, granted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/16 22:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house,
placed
to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

No - they're laid like tiles - or wooden shingles. They are not used on
flat roofs.

The also have an advantage, they can be laid very fast since they are
just nailed on to a fully boarded roof. No need for tile battens etc.
With pneumatic roofing nailers, you can get a whole roof finished in a
couple of hours.

The big advantage is they are very light so a minimal roof structure is needed.
Quick to install.
Apart from that, they are ****.
Especially if the house catches fire. Burns like a torch.
Also proper tiles/ slates last for more then a hundred years, these last a couple of decades.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:08:38 UTC+1, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

That's a really ugly building.
Only the situation makes it look good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:30:08 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

All flat roofs are a disaster (leaks) after a few years.
They are only used for cheapness of construction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 12:59:32 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
I've seen a commercial building have sections of about 15 red "tiles" put on at once. They looked plastic.

They are plastic coated metal.
Light but relatively short lived.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 09:51:40 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"James Wilkinson" writes:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

They have a life similar to flat roofs here.

However, there is a different philosophy with housing in various parts
of the US. Traditional UK homes were built with a design life of 200
years (that's not 200 maintenance-free years), but it was well long
enough that people don't often need to consider a home getting to the
end of its life before they get to the end of theirs.

That's much less true in parts of the US. In the area I regularly
visited when working for various US companies (California), you quite
often see one of their typical single-story homes being bulldozsed
and rebuilt. They are much less substantial structures than a UK home,
so much faster to erect, but also have a much shorter expected life,
and they think much less of knocking down and rebuilding than we do.
Felt shingles are also much less likely to come loose in an earth
quake and kill passers by in that part of the US.
(Mind you, a UK brick built house there would have a very short life).

In some other parts of the US, things like tornadoes mean that houses
can be destroyed and need to be quickly rebuilt, so that too can be a
factor when you know you might suddenly have to quickly rebuild many
homes, and again, you don't want thousands of concrete roof tiles being
whipped up in a tornado and hurlded around.

--
Andrew Gabriel

They burn well in a fire too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:30:08 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

All flat roofs are a disaster (leaks) after a few years.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage with metal
decking.

They are only used for cheapness of construction.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default You've never cried alone. Jesus: always there

Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy
servant curse thee: for oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that
thou thyself likewise hast cursed others. -- Ecclesiastes 7:21-22

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like
we
use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to
look like tiles.

Just admit that you have been watching The Simpsons.

ROFL!

And how many times have you seen Homer fall off the roof/smash a finger etc
whilst fitting these "tiles"?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:30:08 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

Also concrete slump or something. I think it is a beautiful
building, but as I understand it, it suffered from being slightly
ahead of it's time.

I'm sure it'd be easy to make with today's technologies in the
respective areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 July 2016 06:04:24 UTC+1, harry wrote:

Only the situation makes it look good.

Ah! So it's a subjective thing, is it?! Well I never.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 06:39:33 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:30:08 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

All flat roofs are a disaster (leaks) after a few years.

Even sillier and

Ever heard of gravity? Best to work with it.

--
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Isn't the roof structure quite sturdy to be strong enough to hold itself and the ceiling up anyway? The weight of the tiles can't be much more.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:30:08 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

All flat roofs are a disaster (leaks) after a few years.

Even sillier and

Ever heard of gravity? Best to work with it.

Don't get leaks with metal decking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It has to be a lot more sturdy for a tiled or slate roof.

The weight of the tiles can't be much more.

Wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sunsets - a gift from God

If someone wrongs you seven times in a day and comes back to you seven
times saying, "I am sorry", you must forgive. Lk 17:4 Mt 18:21f

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded... Yeah right...

You cannot serve God and Money. Lk 16:13 Mt 6:24

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Prove it.

--
How do you play Iraqi bingo?
B-52...F-16...B-2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 4 July 2016 23:30:08 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/4/2016 6:08 PM, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 4 July 2016 21:29:29 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Show me a good looking flat roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater

It's known to have severe leakage problems.

All flat roofs are a disaster (leaks) after a few years.

Even sillier and

Ever heard of gravity? Best to work with it.

Don't get leaks with metal decking.

That's one piece.

--
Reality is for people who can't handle alcohol and joints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 July 2016 23:12:16 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 3 July 2016 22:58:19 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen (like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

Shingles are probably the most common roof type there.

NT

US houses are total **** compared with any European country.
Only fit for demolition in twenty or thirty years.
Very poor energy performances are the norm there too.

Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?) Aaron FIsher Home Repair 21 April 11th 11 02:30 PM
Bitumen roof felt alternative to bitumen DPC for deck? Adam[_3_] UK diy 7 September 22nd 08 09:09 PM
Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint? Adam Funk UK diy 10 December 20th 06 03:16 PM
flat roof bitumen beamoocher UK diy 1 October 18th 06 09:21 PM
Bitumen Roof Installation Recommendations joshfeingold Home Repair 0 December 7th 04 03:43 PM