Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default Roof tiles made of bitumen?

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 23:58:55 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote
Tim Watts wrote
James Wilkinson wrote

I accidentally spotted some A5 sized pieces of roof felt/bitumen
(like we use on garages and sheds here in the UK) on an American
house, placed to look like tiles. Is that common over there and why?

I believe they are called asphalt shingles.

Wouldn't that leak?

Nope, trivially easy to overlap them so they don't.

How do you stop it running under the vertical divisions?

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?